New Leica Bino/Rangfinder combo Geovid HD-B

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Cool concept for sure....just can't bring myself to jump on the RF/Bino bandwagon though, especially for $3K, I'd have to work a whole bunch more to pay for them when I could be hunting. :D

Whisky

WKR
Major bummer (for bow hunters)!!!!!

Hi gents,

After reading the above comments, I thought I should clear a few things up. One, the ballistic program does not compensate for angle at archer distances(starts @100y). BUT the new CRF 1000-R will. It does simple angle compensation, I.e. without ballistics and atmospherics from 10-600y. LOS from 10-1000y. Two, the HD-B is specifically programmable for measured velocity, BC, and sight in distance on the provided microSD card. When using the preset curves, the system will calculate ballistics to 875y (and to 1000y if you program the microSD card with your velocity, BC,and SID). This unit will incorporate range, angle, atmospherics, and ballistics into its output, plus it offers specific programmability. Add to that a 2000y raining capability and it's 4 levels beyond any other premium range finding bino in the (non military grade) market place.

Our competitors build great stuff but they either offer ranging at 1300y plus ballistics to 500y (no incline) OR ranging to 1500y plus incline to 999y but no ballistics. Neither does incline AND ballistics, accounts for atmospherics, allows specific programmability, or ranges to 2000y (I'm comparing stated capabilities-they're all conservative in perfect conditions). Add to that the patented Perger Porro prism that smokes field of view (374' @ 1000y vs 330'), depth of field, and other optical factors, and you've got a clear winner. Is it perfect? No. Will they continue to get better? Of course.

Oh, and we do realize that there are more powerful ballistic programs out there, but there's more to it than just picking the most powerful one out there and going with it. I can't get into it, but if it were that simple, it would have already been done. Rest assured though, Leica's engineered will always look for ways to improve their products. Sometimes it just takes longer than we'd like.

If anything i said above came across as argumentative or aggressive, it certainly wasn't meant to be. It's the end of a long first day at SHOT. If any of you has specific questions, feel free to ask! Heck, if you're here at SHOT, stop by the booth, and ask for Hamilton.

Whisky

WKR
Think I will be too. If I'm spending that amount of coin on something, it needs to be perfect. And no angle comp under 100 yards, well, that's far from perfect to me.

I'd of rather seen a basic angle comp program in it that's suitable for archery, and no ballistics program. If I had to pick one or the other.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am still interested in checking it out.

I wonder if they will be releasing a non-rangefinder porro line?

That could be cool.

SDHNTR

WKR
WTF! Why can't these companies figure this out? From a business standpoint, why the hell would they cut out a huge segment of the market like that. Total deal breaker and this just pisses me off to excitedly read 4 pages, only to come to a let down.

wapitibob

WKR
posted from another board:

"Hi gents,

After reading the above comments, I thought I should clear a few things up. One, the ballistic program does not compensate for angle at archer distances(starts @100y). BUT the new CRF 1000-R will. It does simple angle compensation, I.e. without ballistics and atmospherics from 10-600y. LOS from 10-1000y.

Two, the HD-B is specifically programmable for measured velocity, BC, and sight in distance on the provided microSD card. When using the preset curves, the system will calculate ballistics to 875y (and to 1000y if you program the microSD card with your velocity, BC,and SID). This unit will incorporate range, angle, atmospherics, and ballistics into its output, plus it offers specific programmability. Add to that a 2000y raining capability and it's 4 levels beyond any other premium range finding bino in the (non military grade) market place.

Our competitors build great stuff but they either offer ranging at 1300y plus ballistics to 500y (no incline) OR ranging to 1500y plus incline to 999y but no ballistics. Neither does incline AND ballistics, accounts for atmospherics, allows specific programmability, or ranges to 2000y (I'm comparing stated capabilities-they're all conservative in perfect conditions). Add to that the patented Perger Porro prism that smokes field of view (374' @ 1000y vs 330'), depth of field, and other optical factors, and you've got a clear winner. Is it perfect? No. Will they continue to get better? Of course.

Oh, and we do realize that there are more powerful ballistic programs out there, but there's more to it than just picking the most powerful one out there and going with it. I can't get into it, but if it were that simple, it would have already been done. Rest assured though, Leica's engineered will always look for ways to improve their products. Sometimes it just takes longer than we'd like.

If anything i said above came across as argumentative or aggressive, it certainly wasn't meant to be. It's the end of a long first day at SHOT. If any of you has specific questions, feel free to ask! Heck, if you're here at SHOT, stop by the booth, and ask for Hamilton."

That does indeed put a damper on it. This is a great platform to work from and improve though. I wonder if they cut off the ballistic capabilities at 875 because of lack of GPS for corealis and spindrift...? Though in my limited extreme long distance (greater than 1300 yards) shooting experience it makes very little difference at 1000 and in.

I agree I think an accurate angle correction from 0-2000k yards without the ballistic program would be sweet and likely cheaper.

Mike

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
They dropped the ball if their goal was to reach all hunters, if it was just for rifle hunters, then it is a pretty sound device.

Whisky

WKR
I am now in the market for cheap POCKET sized LRF with angle comp and LED readout to be used for archery hunting only.

If some of you have one that meets the above, and are looking to sell to get into something new, hit me up with a PM.

wapitibob

WKR
Leupold RX1000i TBR is the one I bought. Best archery rangefinder out there in mine and many others opinions. It uses Cosine only for angle comp.
It also works excellent as a mid range, ballistics calculated rifle rangefinder, 600 to maybe 800 yards.
The "i" models are the new versions that use cosine only for bow mode. The early 1000 models used a ballistically modified angle comp for bows.

Leupold RX1000i TBR is the one I bought. Best archery rangefinder out there in mine and many others opinions. It uses Cosine only for angle comp.
It also works excellent as a mid range, ballistics calculated rifle rangefinder, 600 to maybe 800 yards.
The "i" models are the new versions that use cosine only for bow mode. The early 1000 models used a ballistically modified angle comp for bows.

Yep, me too, that one kicks a$$!

MattB

WKR
They dropped the ball if their goal was to reach all hunters, if it was just for rifle hunters, then it is a pretty sound device.

It is disappointing, but with bowhunters being such a small portion of the total market I can understand why they wouldn't design the unit with us in mind.