NEW Maven S.3

ZackP

WKR
Well well... Sign me up

1699384951773.png

WKR
At 60oz??? Super bummed. Competitors are all in the 48-50 range. Obviously just one metric, but was hoping for similar.
Only 4.5 oz less than the 80? That is surprising.

I wonder if that's correct. For 13 mm difference in objective diameter, I guess I just expected a bigger difference in weight but what the hell do I know about it.

Last edited:
OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
At 60oz??? Super bummed. Competitors are all in the 48-50 range. Obviously just one metric, but was hoping for similar.

Either that’s a typo, or it’s built like a tank. Either way that is a bit odd. I do however know that I love their glass, so this one can’t be anything short of fantastic.

Firehawk

WKR
I signed up for notification as well. Love the idea of it, but surprised at the 60 oz number as well. Especially as the 80 is 64.5 oz. At that point I may as well get the 80. Hoping it is a typo as well.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
I signed up for notification as well. Love the idea of it, but surprised at the 60 oz number as well. Especially as the 80 is 64.5 oz. At that point I may as well get the 80. Hoping it is a typo as well.

Footprint is all I can think of. I was fairly interested in the new 56mm Razor, until I remember how bad of a taste vortex leaves in my mouth.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Footprint is all I can think of. I was fairly interested in the new 56mm Razor, until I remember how bad of a taste vortex leaves in my mouth.
I messed with the razor in the store. I was impressed with it for the price size and weight. I’m going to wait until I can steal a good deal then grab one. This will be better…but twice the size and cost.

These mini spotters aren’t made for counting rings (especially only at 40 power)

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
I messed with the razor in the store. I was impressed with it for the price size and weight. I’m going to wait until I can steal a good deal then grab one. This will be better…but twice the size and cost.

These mini spotters aren’t made for counting rings (especially only at 40 power)

Agreed. But I cannot justify packing a 60x+ spotter. Weather never permits me to use full mag and it is not worth the extra print and weight in my book.

Find someone with a mil discount, you can snag one for a great deal.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Agreed. But I cannot justify packing a 60x+ spotter. Weather never permits me to use full mag and it is not worth the extra print and weight in my book.

Find someone with a mil discount, you can snag one for a great deal.
Oh I know someone ;).

4th_point

WKR
Only 4.5 oz less than the 80? That is surprising.

I wonder if that's correct. For 13 mm difference in objective diameter, I guess I just expected a bigger difference in weight but what the hell do I know about it.
I have only seen the pictures on their website but the body, prism housing, and EP aft of the foot looks the same as the 80mm. At least for the angled model. If so, that might explain why the weights are similar. The 80mm obviously adding weight forward of the foot.

I don't know anything about the guts though.

Big fan of Maven, but this just has an odd bunch of specs. Most 65mm spotters are 15-45ish (like their own Cs1 - which is 20oz lighter). This is essentially a 65mm spotter with a lower mag range, a higher low power mag and a lower high power mag and 60 oz.

I emailed Maven about a month ago asking if they had any plans on coming out with and angled compact spotter and was told that something may be coming in November, but couldnt go further than that. I expected them to boost the mag on the S.2 and make it angled - something with closer specs to the Swaro ATC or Vortex Mini Razor. This one just seems like it has specs that wont sell well - less mag that most 65s, and 12 oz heavier.

Last edited:

WKR
Image quality is king, right?

I spent 8 days on my stool behind three different spotters looking for mule deer last week. 30x was the sweet spot in FOV and resolution, anything more and the image wasn't as refined. This does seem out of the norm, but I'd surely try one.
But the primary reason for the smaller objective spotters is weight when compared to the larger objective spotting scopes. If they all weighed the same, there'd be a whole lot of 90+mm scopes being carried around the mountains.

With the S3, you lose 30% of objective lens size when going from 80 to 67mm, but you only lose 7% of the weight, from 64.5 oz to 60 oz.

Following the same strategy, the S2 loses 49% of the objective size (from 80 to 56 mm diameter) but also loses 47% of the weight (64.5 oz to 34.4 oz).

Both scopes compared to the S1, 80 mm objective version.

I'm a bit baffled.

Last edited:

4th_point

WKR
I'm with TheBoot and 307.

If Maven released an accessory eyepiece, say 20-60x or 25-50x, then it might make more sense to me. Just a thought.

sndmn11

WKR
Maven stated "detachable eyepiece" for the 67mm.

Does the 80mm have a removable EP?
No, it is fixed.

But the primary reason for the smaller objective spotters is weight when compared to the larger objective spotting scopes. If they all weighed the same, there'd be a whole lot of 90+mm scopes being carried around the mountains.

With the S3, you lose 30% of objective lens size when going from 80 to 67mm, but you only lose 7% of the weight, from 64.5 oz to 60 oz.

I agree. I can also think of any spotting scopes that are light but suck to look through. Otherwise, everyone would be running around with 50mm spotters. Somewhere there is a balance for each user of cost, weight, size, resolution, fov, etc. This might check a lot of boxes for folks as a do-all, for others, it might do nothing because they have a super rad stable of optics to choose from. I don't think anyone will know for a few weeks, but I do see some logic in the specs.

Matt G.

WKR
Really bummed by this one. I think I will keep the Kowa 77 for about the same cost and weight. Yes the foot print may be slightly bigger but you gain in the power range. Otherwise just convert to the swaro 65.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Johnroe80

FNG
I got the email today. 40x and 60 ounces are not very appealing to me, but happy to see a new release.

Maybe there's a new eyepiece coming?
In the description it says it has the ability of switching eye pieces in the future. So hopefully there is better things to come.