New Mexico draw expectations

Fromthedepths

Lil-Rokslider
For you non res folks . What are you expectations when applying? Since odds are so low anyways are you rolling the dice for hard to draw units or looking for better opportunity units ? Struck out last year just wondering what others do. Also how Often do you folks draw for the nonresidents minus a guide . Thanks

Felix40

WKR
Theres plenty of options with high draw odds. Quite a few actually have better odds for non residents than for residents. I would just decide how bad you want a tag and pick units based on that. You can apply for stuff with 5% odds or 80% odds.

Trial153

WKR
I have no expectations. I always apply elk and sheep every year. Everything else it depends on my plans and availability for the seasons. I will probably be skipping NM for lope for the foreseeable future due to the draw changes.

FLAK

WKR
I'm just gonna put in for Elk and Barbs this year. I can only do one trip a year out there. If I don't draw either I'll pick up an OTC Barbary tag and go!!
This last season I drew 2 tags 2 weeks apart and couldn't make both happen.

Fitzwho

WKR
I have drawn a tag in NM 4 years in a row. Mule Deer, elk, antelope, and Coues deer (in that order). I hate to say I expect to draw, but I have been lucky that way. I can be in NM hunting quail in an hour, elk in 3.5. Some of those tags were drawn second choice. This year I’ll be going for very specific units, likely not even entering second or third choice hunts. If I don’t get one, no big deal, I have plenty of other options.

I should be hunting South Dakota, Wyoming, Kansas, and possibly Nebraska this year.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have a September archery elk hunt planned in another state so I'm gonna put in for an elite rifle elk unit. It will have sheep odds but I'm also trying to draw another hunt in N M this year so I figured since I bought a licence why not. May put in for desert sheep also.

rbljack

WKR
I have been putting in for 5 years now I think, and still haven't drawn elk. Needless to say, I don't get my hopes up. I have a particular GMU in mind, so each year I make my selections for the different hunts within that unit. One of these years I will draw hopefully. Even if I don't draw, I still get the license and make a trip for spring turkey hunting. It allows us to chase the chickens while having a chance at finding sheds too.

jmcd22

WKR
NM is quite a trek from ID so I try to make it worth the trip if I was to draw. I figure if I am going to draw and travel, that I might as well try for a quality unit. Doesn't have to be the best of the best, but I definitely try to stay clear of the more opportunistic areas. I have plenty of those closer to home to hunt. The beauty of NM (and ID) is that you can draw any tag at any time...and someone has to draw so why not me (or you)?

ATL-Kyle

FNG
I have no expectations. I always apply elk and sheep every year. Everything else it depends on my plans and availability for the seasons. I will probably be skipping NM for lope for the foreseeable future due to the draw changes.

Do you (or someone else) mind elaborating on what draw changes you're referring to? Is it something specific to antelope?

Trial153

WKR
Do you (or someone else) mind elaborating on what draw changes you're referring to? Is it something specific to antelope?
Yes its lope specific. Take a look at how the units were adjusted, plenty of them a NR will now be drawing dead.

As a resident I apply for everything and I am usually successful in drawing enough tags to keep me busy this year I did apply in the special for elk hoping to burn my points on a good tag. If y'all have any NM questions I'll be happy to lie to you.

Technically it’s not pronghorn specific, it’s a product of the low tags and the new interpretation on 84%. In some cases of low tags it’s causes a round up. An example say there are Ten tags...would be 90/10 where Res Get 90%(9) and outfitters get 10(1)so that leaves no tags for NR.

Fitzwho

WKR
What Trial153 is getting at:

The Antelope Draw changed significantly in 2019. As late as 2018, if you drew a rifle Pronghorn Tag you were assigned to hunt on a private ranch. It was called the A-PLUS (Antelope - Private Land Utilization System). They got rid of this system and if you draw you only have inherent access to the legally accessible public land in your drawn unit, during a 3 day hunt period. There are more seasons available in each unit now, but tag numbers in each may only allow for a couple (literally 1-3) NR tags per season.

This reduced the number of permits available in the draw by up to 75% for nonresidents. For example: the unit I drew in 2018 had about 30 nonresident rifle permits, the same unit last year had 8 total NR tags between 3 seasons. The unit I apply for now has much more public land than the unit I drew in 2018, but not one of the 3 available seasons have more than 2 tags available to non-residents.

They got rid of the APLUS system so that private landowners can sell as many antelope tags as they want.

ATL-Kyle

FNG
What Trial153 is getting at:

The Antelope Draw changed significantly in 2019. As late as 2018, if you drew a rifle Pronghorn Tag you were assigned to hunt on a private ranch. It was called the A-PLUS (Antelope - Private Land Utilization System). They got rid of this system and if you draw you only have inherent access to the legally accessible public land in your drawn unit, during a 3 day hunt period. There are more seasons available in each unit now, but tag numbers in each may only allow for a couple (literally 1-3) NR tags per season.

This reduced the number of permits available in the draw by up to 75% for nonresidents. For example: the unit I drew in 2018 had about 30 nonresident rifle permits, the same unit last year had 8 total NR tags between 3 seasons. The unit I apply for now has much more public land than the unit I drew in 2018, but not one of the 3 available seasons have more than 2 tags available to non-residents.

They got rid of the APLUS system so that private landowners can sell as many antelope tags as they want.
Wow, thanks for the clarification. This year will be my first year applying in New Mexico and I can tell their residents have it good in terms of tag allocations. I'll be applying for elk and mule deer since I did my first antelope hunt last year. I'd like to draw NM mule deer just for the sake of progression (antelope then deer then elk) but I have a feeling I'll be going to Colorado on a low harvest success deer hunt when it's all said and done.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, thanks for the clarification. This year will be my first year applying in New Mexico and I can tell their residents have it good in terms of tag allocations. I'll be applying for elk and mule deer since I did my first antelope hunt last year. I'd like to draw NM mule deer just for the sake of progression (antelope then deer then elk) but I have a feeling I'll be going to Colorado on a low harvest success deer hunt when it's all said and done.
While being a resident is nice, I would like to be rid of the outfitter pool and have a 90/10 split. Also, I will still be paying nearly $700 to apply for all species except ibex and javelina. So it's not nearly the "free ride" seemed from the outside.

Last edited: