New Mexico Elk hunting Questions

Gila

WKR
No one is going to tell you where to apply and where the elk are. The worse the odds are, the better the unit. The odds in New Mexico suck for a DIY nonresident across the board. Just Google around a bit and you’ll find what you’re looking for. Shoot for the moon and have a back up plan when you get those red bars the 3rd week of April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The odds suck for NM residents as well.

Gila

WKR
My “sleeper” units are no longer sleeping….seems like everyone knows about ‘em. If I want to keep elk hunting I will have to put in for other states.

BBob

WKR
When you apply for a unit in New Mexico do you have to put the $$ up front for the license?
Yup. You pay up front for license, tag and the habitat fees. If you don’t draw only the tag fee is refunded, license and habitat fees remain.

We turkey hunt in the spring to make it feel like we didn’t get ripped off again :ROFLMAO:

Scoot

WKR
Yup. You pay up front for license, tag and the habitat fees. If you don’t draw only the tag fee is refunded, license and habitat fees remain.

We turkey hunt in the spring to make it feel like we didn’t get ripped off again :ROFLMAO:
How much of my money (total) does NM keep after I don't draw? I can't remember...

pirogue

WKR
My “sleeper” units are no longer sleeping….seems like everyone knows about ‘em. If I want to keep elk hunting I will have to put in for other states.
I bet your “sleeper” units are not in the mountains named by your handle.

Gila

WKR
I bet your “sleeper” units are not in the mountains named by your handle.
No they are not….the Gila units are all pretty much “famous” now. I find elk when i turkey hunt and turkeys when I elk hunt….Go figure!

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
2024 will be my first year applying for a elk hunt in new mexico, it will be me and my brothers, can we apply together as a group on one application??. would this better are odds. how would you choose a unit? ive looked back threw old threads and other info finding a lot of good stuff. so many units look good but absolutely we can only get one unit.
Applying as a group will reduce your draw odds. If you are all going regardless and just as happy if only one of you draws....apply individually.

What weapon? There are units with higher than 3% draw odds, despite what another member said, although still not good. You just have to look up the stats and see what units tickle your fancy.

Without points in other states, expect to go to Colorado. Take advantage, because NR OTC tags are likely going away in '25.

If you're serious, make a plan and start getting in shape now. Better shape than you think, even if you're young. Start e-scouting now. If it's in your budget, take a trip to CO to scout in the summer. You will have low chances of picking up tag(s) in NM.

Good luck.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
I'll trade you NM elk pressure for CO elk pressure all-day, everyday and twice on Sundays... plus I'll pay twice the tag fee and buy you a steak dinner ;)

WBctl

FNG
I would talk to a reputable outfitter about a group draw. Odds are pretty tough regardless. It’s getting tough to get drawn for sure.

Gila

WKR
I'll trade you NM elk pressure for CO elk pressure all-day, everyday and twice on Sundays... plus I'll pay twice the tag fee and buy you a steak dinner ;)
Some units that used to have really high success rates have been ruined because of the number of UW tags. If they end up with a higher number of UW LO tags than there are public draw tags, that “Quality” tag NM sold you isn’t what you paid for! Having a hunter behind every tree sucks! If you see 60 tags for a public draw but there are 60 UW LO tags for the same hunt, that hunt is no longer a “limited Entry” hunt Now is it? When you are a resident and can’t get drawn to save your life, something is wrong?

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Some units that used to have really high success rates have been ruined because of the number of UW tags. If they end up with a higher number of UW LO tags than there are public draw tags, that “Quality” tag NM sold you isn’t what you paid for! Having a hunter behind every tree sucks! If you see 60 tags for a public draw but there are 60 UW LO tags for the same hunt, that hunt is no longer a “limited Entry” hunt Now is it? When you are a resident and can’t get drawn to save your life, something is wrong?
I certainly wont argue that point with you. It's unfortunately trending that way in every state in the West.

My comment was meant truly as a little friendly ribbing...I love NM. It just made me chuckle when you said you'll have to apply out of state to continue to hunt elk. It's like, where do you think you'll go that's better? Most Western states are far worse than NM, pressure wise.

I hope you have good luck in the NM draw this year, it's coming up fast! I hope they actually post the results in April this year as well.

Gila

WKR
I will just settle for late cow tags and put in for other states. I am going back to pronghorn and mule deer hunting in other states as well. Residents have to be really lucky to be drawn for pronghorn or mule deer at all. Getting to the point that only the rich and famous can afford to hunt in New Mexico.

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a tag with very limited chances. Statistically in New Mexico draw odds individually applying would tremendously improve your chances of getting drawn. Also, I was unsuccessful but was super close to filling the tag. That was Six days of scouting for a Five day hunt. It would more than likely be very tough to fill more than one tag with an archery hunt, and getting two bulls down with a rifle in the unit I was in would have taken days to get out. Either way it was an absolute blast, in amazing country. It is worth having any tag for the experience. Why not apply?

Gila

WKR
I drew a tag with very limited chances. Statistically in New Mexico draw odds individually applying would tremendously improve your chances of getting drawn. Also, I was unsuccessful but was super close to filling the tag. That was Six days of scouting for a Five day hunt. It would more than likely be very tough to fill more than one tag with an archery hunt, and getting two bulls down with a rifle in the unit I was in would have taken days to get out. Either way it was an absolute blast, in amazing country. It is worth having any tag for the experience. Why not apply?
I definitely look forward to putting in for the limited entry bull tags. Every now and then I get lucky. Even a blind hog finds acorns once in a while. It gets hot down here in Sept so getting the meat and the cape out as soon as is possible can be a challenge.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
@Gila does the Hunting Rules & Info Booklet show the UW tags? Never saw it in there. Or how are you finding that out? I have always wondered where that is published at.