New Mexico Elk question

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone tell me if it is possible for a non-resident youth hunter to apply for an elk tag in New Mexico?

Or am I just getting confused because there is no special privilege (pricing) to being a youth hunter vs. full price adult?

dtrkyman

WKR

Reduced-Fee Licenses for Juniors​

Reduced-fee licenses for resident junior game-hunting & fishing, junior deer, junior elk and junior game-hunting (resident and nonresident) are available to individuals 17 years of age and younger at the time of purchase, on or after April 1, 2022. Resident junior licenses for hunting deer and/or elk on private land may be purchased at license vendors, NMDGF offices, by telephone or online.

Think the general hunting license may be discounted but tags are the same price, save a few bucks in the draw process anyway.

Jethro

WKR
Curious if this is continuing for 2024? Also, are the "once-in-youth" hunts available for non res youth?
Yes there are youth elk hunts available this year.

Once in youth antlerless are res only, bull open to NR youth. That’s all I know about once in youth hunts.

THallock

FNG
Went on a party hunt in 2018 in NM. We had a youth with us. The Odds are the same as adult but cheaper if you get the tag in fee.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Yes they can.

You should call NMG&F ASAP. I read on another site about youth's requiring "in person" Hunters Safety and new restrictions to age. I'm not sure of the exact details as it didn't apply to me but something you need to look in to.