New Mexico forest closures

Gila

WKR
Bad news....some of the best deer and elk units in the state are being affected by the fires. Sante Fe, Carson National forests are closed to the public until 31st Dec. The Cibola NF is in Stage 3 restricted as of now which limits certain activities (provided in the link. That is a lot of ELK and deer units affected. I believe the Cibola NF district Southwest of Socorro (unit 17) may be closed to the public soon if they cannot get it contained. The fire in unit 16B (Gila wilderness area) is bad also. If we get some good monsoon rains this August they could very well rescind the closures and relax the stage 3 restrictions by 1st archery season, but that is being extremely hopeful at this point.

https://www.kob.com/news/top-news/santa-fe-national-forest-to-implement-forest-wide-closure-may-19/

This is worrisome. I’ve got a unit 13 early archery bull tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
These closures will be rescinded before the fall unless we have a very lackluster monsoon season. I’m not going to start worrying until mid-July.

WKR

WKR
So thats why I didn't draw this year 😁
But seriously God bless the guys that did. I would be a nervous wreck.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
These closures will be rescinded before the fall unless we have a very lackluster monsoon season. I’m not going to start worrying until mid-July.
Very rarely do the monsoons kick in before August. So, this season if they do rescind the closures it will likely be just before the Labor Day weekend. Labor Day weekend camping is big business in New Mexico. I doubt they will rescind the closures before the 1st Sept. but we can hope...

Gerbdog

WKR
Yea its been a super rough spring, fingers crossed for monsoons like you said, and we will just adjust plans accordingly with the fires if its open for hunting

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This 100%. When has a closure ever continued to the year's end?
They did it in California last year and the year before. I had scouted my ass off in a new spot and was into some great deer herds. They closed that area two weeks before the season opened. CA has very early deer seasons though, so hopefully by Fall they cancel the closures in NM.

Ten Bears

WKR
Last year the rains came very early near Santa Fe, late June for the start of the season. Here's hoping the same trend follows. Really feel for folks living this at the moment.

Wapiti7

FNG
We have had forest closures in recent years around this time, though I don't recall a time when they were still closed into August. In the Gila, July is the wettest month (https://www.weather-us.com/en/new-mexico-usa/reserve-weather-july#rainfall)...guessing it is the same in most other forests in the state. The last couple years have proven to be anything but average and continuance of La Nina is looking more and more possible, but even last year Reserve had ~3 inches of rain in July. I believe hunting seasons will be okay, now if I had a tag in 16B, 21A, 21B or even 16C...I'd pay very close attention to the progress of the Black fire. That thing is going to be ginormous. Terrible country to fight fire, absolutely terrible drought conditions, all resources are up north on HP/CC fire and local districts don't want to release their guys because conditions are awful in home district and fewer structures at risk in Gila than HP/CC fire. No bueno!

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Lincoln National forest is closed until 1 August or sooner if conditions improve. That is where my elk tag is this season. There is a fire in unit 36 but no fires yet in unit 34....Keep your fingers crossed. At least we won’t have to deal with any prescribed burns in September or October. Since the fires up North were caused by a starter fire for a prescribed burn, all prescribed burns have been stopped Nation wide.

Base14

FNG
For those that live in northern New Mexico what are the chances of reopening Carson/Sante Fe mid July vs extending the ban. I know y’all have been getting some rain lately.

Lincoln National forest is closed until 1 August or sooner if conditions improve. That is where my elk tag is this season. There is a fire in unit 36 but no fires yet in unit 34....Keep your fingers crossed. At least we won’t have to deal with any prescribed burns in September or October. Since the fires up North were caused by a starter fire for a prescribed burn, all prescribed burns have been stopped Nation wide.
my favorite unit!

Seth

WKR
Opening

Several open up tomorrow with the early onset of monsoons. Hope the Fourth of July crowd behaves.