New Mexico Unit 52

Jaker_cc

WKR
I spent some time in this unit a couple years ago on a deer hunt. I’ve never seen so many locals driving around with a rifle hanging out each window. Only the deer season was open and I saw 3 cow elk and 2 antelope in the beds of trucks. When I called the warden I was told they were 2 or 3 days out from being able to get to any of the calls in this area. I hunted hard and saw a doe on the drive out the last day. I saw a ton of elk but the locals in this unit “meat hunting” really soured me to the northern units in that area.

I second the fact that I wouldn’t leave anything inside the truck you weren’t willing to lose. A fella I camped next to had a generator, an ice chest, and a gas grill stolen. His window was smashed in also. He packed up day 2 of the season and left

Nick6275

FNG
Hello,

Not sure if this thread is still active, I was lucky enough to draw a late archery tag for this unit and had a couple questions. Is there a big concern about rattlesnakes or scorpions? We have hunted in northern CO and WY over the past 8 years ans run a floor less shelter. Is water an issue in the unit? I see a lot of drainages but doesn't always mean there is water.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
above ~7500-8000 ft you wont have to worry about snakes or scorpions. Would recommend a floor for the ants though. Water shouldn't be too much of an issue, lots of snow this year.

Also a floor for the dang mice. Them jokers can pack a water bottle away or setup shop in a plastic bin and eat all your dried meals. Water can be tough if you plan to camp high. If you camp low next to a drainage you'll probably be able to access water. Always water off 87 down at the split of 93.....of course that could be 12 miles from where you want to camp.