New "MOUNTAIN WARRIOR" pack from Kifaru

Just to make sure,this pack can be comfortably used as a day pack?for example,i have this pack and i hike in 4 miles,i set up camp.i can use this pack from camp for day hunts,comfortable? Just want to make sure before i pull a trigger

Oh yea. Kifaru packs compress down very nicely for "day pack mode"

Rizzy

WKR
Just to make sure,this pack can be comfortably used as a day pack?for example,i have this pack and i hike in 4 miles,i set up camp.i can use this pack from camp for day hunts,comfortable? Just want to make sure before i pull a trigger

In that top pic Luke posted, you can attach the 3 bar sliders through the outer plastic loops (top ones in pic) to really shrink the bottom of the bag. That's how I make my EMR2 smaller.

Ill take a photo when I get home but I run the bottom 2 compression straps through those plastic common loops, i think it helps suck the bottom of the bag up much better, then you also don't need the meat shelf because the straps can act as one. Basically like Aron does in the video with the kifaru clip, but using the packs straps.

Thanks guys. I watched kuiu live info on there new icon series,i just dont feel there as quality as the MW

Ill take a photo when I get home but I run the bottom 2 compression straps through those plastic common loops, i think it helps suck the bottom of the bag up much better, then you also don't need the meat shelf because the straps can act as one. Basically like Aron does in the video with the kifaru clip, but using the packs straps.
That photo would be great

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Meat shelves are for weenies ;)

Meat shelves are for weenies ;)

Luke I actually cannot stand meat shelves, I thought it was the coolest idea ever when I first learned abou it. I grew up putting meat in the bag of an old Kelty, or strapping it directly to a frame. I gave the meat shelf thing an entire year of hauling 2 years ago and absolutely hated it. I'm back to meat in the bag kinda guy. It sounds great In theory but unless the bone is on it sucks in reality, for me anyway.

That photo would be great

It's tuff to tell because the lighting is shat, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying, if you want me to stuff something between the bag and frame let me know.

I actually did this because I feel it cinches up the bottom of the bag much better then attaching the 3 bar sliders. But watching Aron's video you could clearly use it as a load sling to.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424318098.857171.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424318126.154882.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424318143.394979.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have tried running my bottom straps in such a fashion but I found that it made the straps too short to strap anything of meaningful size to the outside of the sleeping bag compartment cause it made the straps so short to expand long enough to accompany a larger sized object. The bag compresses well enough for me that I can use the longer straps at times when I have to put a packraft or dry bag or something on the outside of the pack.

But if that isn't a concern that way you have it run certainly compresses it down a bit better than just doing the 3 bar slider.

I have tried running my bottom straps in such a fashion but I found that it made the straps too short to strap anything of meaningful size to the outside of the sleeping bag compartment cause it made the straps so short to expand long enough to accompany a larger sized object. The bag compresses well enough for me that I can use the longer straps at times when I have to put a packraft or dry bag or something on the outside of the pack.

But if that isn't a concern that way you have it run certainly compresses it down a bit better than just doing the 3 bar slider.

Ya, only thing that gets strapped there will be either a closed cell sleeping pad, or my spotter seat.

But this is just a dinky day pack for you anyway luke

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Haha I hear Ya!! Certainly neither wat is wrong! Just what suits one best! Luckily Kifaru gives is the options to curtail to our needs!

trk3263

WKR
Got my pack back on the 12th and only finally got to play with it tonight. I swapped out the buckles for the G wave hooks and am really liking this pack. Only thing I would change would be where you connect the over the top strap. I wish the loop where it connects was a little further back closer to the frame. This would allow more compression at the top of the pack. I will probably just add a spot to connect the strap to the top cross frame of my bikini.
Here are some photos of the pack in day mode.
e61aaec46873370c6670d2395411e5d6.jpg

ed4880513fd68298bfda90e1a045ba99.jpg

05f5b0f999a6a0bc29512da12c6b6736.jpg
access to main bag while compressed
af28c54f9325831453cbcf7687f06a80.jpg
access to large outside pocket is easy access
fc801af4b73d643d1340c9b27d97b0dd.jpg
more compression if you feel the need. I actually think this outside pocket is perfect size for a day pack. It is very similar to a normal school style backpack.

Not sure how I missed this thread. This is a bad ass looking bag! Kinda wishing I had some spare change laying around to try one of these out on a duplex.

I'm in Kifaru heaven today! I received a Mountain TAC Warrior on a Duplex with a Longhunter lid. I also picked up an older MMR on a old Duplex this week as well. The Warrior looks like a very nice rig. I took it to the gym with me to show a buddy and put 70 lbs in it and the MMR just to see how they ride. Will put a lot of weighted miles on as the year progresses. I've been running the EMR-II on a Duplex the past year and love it. Going to be hard to pick which bag goes into the high country this year come elk season. The EMR-II did a wonderful job packing out an elk and deer last year.

The MMR is a sweet bag as well. May end up selling the MMR. The medium belt is just a touch too big for my 32" waist.

ebfb4724bd84150b63cff6e16c660c56.jpg

trk3263

WKR
Ran my MW on my new Duplex for the last 10 days in the BG. Although I didn't get blood on it it was a great setup. My one and only complaint if even really a complaint is the top strap. When I compress it down to daypack mode I would like to get that top strap tighter. It bottoms out. I have tried a few different ways of attaching the strap but still no luck. I am thinking of I cut a slot in a G hook I could go from the two loops eliminating the strap and just keeping the strap in my pack of needed. I have used the crap out of the strap so I want to keep it around but would like a solid daypack option. I basically use the outside pocket as a backpack when everything else is compressed down.