New or used scopes

Gsarty

FNG
Getting closer to buying glass for the new rifle. Are Zeiss / Swarovski or similar scopes that are 5 or 10 years old something to look at or are new scopes that much advances in glass / clarity / coatings?

grfox92

WKR
Getting closer to buying glass for the new rifle. Are Zeiss / Swarovski or similar scopes that are 5 or 10 years old something to look at or are new scopes that much advances in glass / clarity / coatings?
Neither of those two scopes hold zero very well. Also used scopes are like used cars. A high round count scope is like a high mileage car, a ticking time bomb.

I would buy new and stick with Trijicon, SWFA, Nightforce and Maven.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
I enjoy buying used scopes - some almost new and some 40 years old - it can be a lot of bang for the buck or it can be someone unloading a problem scope.

I’ve personally bought a few bad ones - loose reticle, bent tube, oddball reticle, scratched lenses, super scratched lenses with a destroyed coating, malfunctioning mag selector, malfunctioning elevation knob, and screwed up focus.

I second what grfox92 said… I used to think Zeiss Leica and Swarovski was the way to go until I had tracking issues after my Zeiss bumped a limb on a hunt.

If you’re going to spend that money buy Nightforce. Or one of the brands mentioned by grfox92…

Last edited:
OP
G

Gsarty

FNG
Thank you - not sure that’s something I want to risk for the $$

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Just about everything I buy is used including scopes.

Imo, buying a used scope is closer to buying a used hammer than a used car. No user with good feedback is going to send you a scope that's got one foot in the coffin and expect you not to notice. Warranties these days cover everything under the sun and are too easy to take advantage of.

If its a quality scope, itll be fine unless there's obvious damage. Get pictures of lenses. grfox92 listed the same brands I would buy

If its not a quality scope to begin with, yes there's risk to buying used. I would be hesitant of anything older than 10 years old, mainly because I have no experience with them.

Neither of those two scopes hold zero very well. Also used scopes are like used cars. A high round count scope is like a high mileage car, a ticking time bomb.

I would buy new and stick with Trijicon, SWFA, Nightforce and Maven.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
How many Mavens have passed the drop test? I'm not gonna lie, seems that the only scopes that could be stated as passing the test in any company's lineup are the ones that have been tested. Not the same model in a different magnification range, not one they say shares the same construction, etc.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a used nightforce or trijicon from a trusted member here. I’ve let excellent functioning scopes go for $100’s off regular price, just to try something else.

fshaw

WKR
I’ve had good luck with used scopes and have probably bought a half dozen. Unless you’re hunting really long range, or a heavy recoiling rifle, I think that you ‘d be fine.

Kurts86

WKR
I like buying demo, like new or blemished nightforce scopes. They usually hit near the price point of a used scope but come from a retailer, full warranty, box with accessories, etc.

On Zeiss and Swarovski hunting scopes (V4, Z3, Z5) I don’t think they have changed in a decade or more. Swarovski occasionally rolls out glass improvements without specifically mentioning it like on the ATS spotters but I’m not aware of anything on their scopes. I would say part of the problem with both brands you mentioned is that they are built with the expectation of what a high end hunting scope was a decade plus ago, light on weight, good glass and zero regard for durability.

I would buy a used scope 100% over a new one. But I would definitely look into other brands like others have said.

TaperPin

WKR
Where you buy a used scope can make a difference. Nothing is perfect, but buying locally may cost you extra money, but let’s you get a much better idea of lens condition and body straightness. I can’t stress checking for a bent scope tube enough.

Buying off of eBay gives you some protection - only some. Other places you just have to take your chances.

I really like when someone gives a little background on the scope’s history, but many people are full of crap - when a guy has sold 30 scopes in 6 months and tries to say this was a good scope, but he upgraded and this has been on the shelf for a few years, nothing out of his mouth is probably true. Lol

OP
G

Gsarty

FNG
Appreciate all the comments - and brand suggestions. Need to see what I can look at locally to help the decision.

_jeff_

FNG
I don’t have a scope by maven but I have a rangefinder and some binos from them that I really like. They have a lifetime warranty that doesn’t question where you bought it. So a used maven scope can be fixed or replaced if you have any issues.

I don’t remember the last time I bought a new one, I bought a broken Gen 1 Vortex Razor for $250. Called Vortex told them I bought it broken. It was back in a week good as new.

How do you see if the tube is bent short of v blocks.
If certain scopes can be used as hammers, I'd like to understand the answer to this too. Pretty happy with my Pinto's, couple dump trucks full of deer, elk and antelope. However, admittedly never used them as a hammer or treated them like one.

Last edited: