New Pack

I keep debating between Kifaru and Stone Glacier. Looking for a 3 day pack. Watched tons of reviews and it seems to just come down to preference. Anyone have any negative experiences with the kifaru bedlam an duplex lite frame or the Stone glacier sky 5900 with the xcurve?

great packs, good luck on the decision.
Honestly you’ll be happy with either and thank you for buying Made in USA

OP
J
The big three are great packs. If you can, buy one of each and send back the two that are 3% behind the winner.
Thanks. I have debated that. What's the 3rd of the big three you're mentioning? Exo?

great packs, good luck on the decision.
Honestly you’ll be happy with either and thank you for buying Made in USA
Thanks. I just need to make a decision lol.

nobody

WKR
No bad with either, but after how I’ve been treated by SG and how my SG’s have performed, I won’t buy anything else. Love my 5900, but it’s on the Krux frame! Highly recommend

ewade07

WKR
Im in the same boat. Im thinking of upgrading from my MR guide lite to a stone glacier. Im thinking the Col 4800 bag. Any reviews from you guys?

Im in the same boat. Im thinking of upgrading from my MR guide lite to a stone glacier. Im thinking the Col 4800 bag. Any reviews from you guys?
Depending on your use case, could be great. SG frames are a big step up from MR in my experience. Get a frame that fits your body and then take a look at bags.

OP
J
Yes, EXO K4 should be on your list. I've had em all and all are very good, but each one will fit a particular person better or worse.
Yeah I was looking at the k4's originally. I'll have to look at them again.
Kifaru may be heavier naked but the real comfort change for me happened when my Kifaru had 80lbs or more inside. it was definitely more comfortable than my SGs I had in the past.
Yeah that's what I've heard from a lot of different reviews. That at heavier weights the kifaru out performs.
No bad with either, but after how I’ve been treated by SG and how my SG’s have performed, I won’t buy anything else. Love my 5900, but it’s on the Krux frame! Highly recommend
Have you tried both frames? That is something else I need to look into.

Going to be starting the pack on elk this season if that makes any difference in anyones opinion.

JNDEER

WKR
I think for 95% of the guys out there they can make any of the top three fit them and function well.

It comes down to what and how you will be using the pack for. The Kifaru is built like a tank and is the stiffest of the three. If you are backpack hunting spot and stalk only- no problem.

Sadly I am in the 5% for Stone. I could not get the pack to ride/sit well on my frame.

The EXO is a step down in stiffness from the Kifaru. If you plan on still hunting or walking the woods with it on looking for elk - I personally would choose EXO over the Kifaru.

I have both and use both. Walking off trail with a loaded pack I have preferred the K4 because it moves with me a bit more AND I am able to wear it while beating brush and still hunting and it doesn't feel like a board on my back.

Like I said earlier, buy em all if you're able. Pack some weight with each one and pick a winner FOR YOU. If you're not in a position for try outs the K4 is kinda the best combination of features from all of them. SG, Kifaru and EXO are tough to beat, you just need to get the one that fits you.

It doesn't matter what pack you're going to have, if it doesn't fit you well it's gonna be a loser.

nobody

WKR
Have you tried both frames? That is something else I need to look into.
yes I have. The x curve fit me ok, not great. I used it for a season and it was alright. The Krux was obviously superior in fit when I made the switch though.

According to Stone Glacier, something like 80-90% of the guys they fit in their showroom fit better into and vastly prefer the Krux. The X Curve only fits your back if you have a specific curvature.

Rule of thumb, direct from SG: stand with your feet together against the wall. Put your heels, butt, and shoulder blades against the wall. Take your hand, make a fist, and if you can fit it easily between the wall and the small of your back, the x curve is what you want. If your fist doesn’t fit without pushing ANY part of you away from the wall, you want the Krux.

ChrisAU

WKR
Like I said earlier, buy em all if you're able. Pack some weight with each one and pick a winner FOR YOU. If you're not in a position for try outs the K4 is kinda the best combination of features from all of them. SG, Kifaru and EXO are tough to beat, you just need to get the one that fits you.

It doesn't matter what pack you're going to have, if it doesn't fit you well it's gonna be a loser.

I’ll echo this. SG is light and minimalistic, Kifaru is tough as nails and ultra-customizable, Exo is a happy compromise between the two with fantastic design features. If a guy doesn’t know exactly which way he leans or wants a pack to be good at everything (and great at most everything), it’s Exo IMO. Just got on the K4 train a couple weeks ago and I’m loving it.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
yes I have. The x curve fit me ok, not great. I used it for a season and it was alright. The Krux was obviously superior in fit when I made the switch though.

According to Stone Glacier, something like 80-90% of the guys they fit in their showroom fit better into and vastly prefer the Krux. The X Curve only fits your back if you have a specific curvature.

Rule of thumb, direct from SG: stand with your feet together against the wall. Put your heels, butt, and shoulder blades against the wall. Take your hand, make a fist, and if you can fit it easily between the wall and the small of your back, the x curve is what you want. If your fist doesn’t fit without pushing ANY part of you away from the wall, you want the Krux.
So what you’re saying is that for the x-curve to fit right… you need some junk in your trunk? Haha I’m kidding. But I did just swap from Exo (K3) to SG (x curve). Haven’t really got to load it up yet though. The Exo gradually slid down the entire time for me. I know they had a lumbar upgrade but I really wanted to go SG because I love everything I’ve bought of theirs. I’m sure a pack won’t be any different.

nobody

WKR
So what you’re saying is that for the x-curve to fit right… you need some junk in your trunk? Haha I’m kidding. But I did just swap from Exo (K3) to SG (x curve). Haven’t really got to load it up yet though. The Exo gradually slid down the entire time for me. I know they had a lumbar upgrade but I really wanted to go SG because I love everything I’ve bought of theirs. I’m sure a pack won’t be any different.
Haha not far off! You also need your shoulders to stick out back more than the small of your back.

I’m sure you’ll love it though!

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Haha not far off! You also need your shoulders to stick out back more than the small of your back.

I’m sure you’ll love it though!
Yea I’m feeling pretty optimistic about it. I actually loved that Exo a lot. It slid but not enough to be a nuisance really. I just needed a bigger bag, Ole Steve Speck thinks a 5000 cu/in bag is a 14 day bag haha (exaggerating of course). I like those 10 plus days type hunts and that 4800 would only go so far lol.

Sending back a used xcurve 5900 that I got this forum. Besides the shit missing that was supposed to be included, my issues with it is storage. Its just one giant bag so every time you need youre spotting scope theres no side pocket to store it in.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve been using it this year, have had a solo, sky archer, sky 5900 in the past. It’s a super sized solo for sure, just with the big flat front pocket. The top is sewn like a built in lid almost. I like that it has the side pocket on one side and spotter pocket built in. Compresses to be quite small. I’d prefer to be able to attach a lid onto it, but the big front pocket kind of takes that away. For a multi-day non-expedition sized bag, should work quite well. I never used/needed all of the 5900 on 5 days trips.