New Pack

ewade07

WKR
I’ve been using it this year, have had a solo, sky archer, sky 5900 in the past. It’s a super sized solo for sure, just with the big flat front pocket. The top is sewn like a built in lid almost. I like that it has the side pocket on one side and spotter pocket built in. Compresses to be quite small. I’d prefer to be able to attach a lid onto it, but the big front pocket kind of takes that away. For a multi-day non-expedition sized bag, should work quite well. I never used/needed all of the 5900 on 5 days trips.
My big bag from MR is the Metcalf that i use for multiday trips, and the Col 4800 is almost 500 cu in bigger. I figure i should be able to get at least a 5 day trip out of the Col. Correct me if im wrong, but the Coll detaches from the frame and utilizes a meat shelf right?

nobody

WKR
Correct me if im wrong, but the Coll detaches from the frame and utilizes a meat shelf right?
ALL stone glacier packs do if it’s on a frame, so basically everything but the Kiowa or the Terminus lines.

Meals7

FNG
I highly recommend a look at Exo. They've been making awesome packs for several years.

OP
J
I highly recommend a look at Exo. They've been making awesome packs for several years.

Yep! That's what I'm planning. Gotta give them a call as I wanted ranger green on everything, but the rifle carrier seems to be out of stock and I don't want to pay shipping twice lol...

I went from a 24" kifaru duplex I believe to a stone glacier x curve and prefer the SG. Under weight I was constantly having to keep tightening and messing with the belt straps and load lifters. So far with 50 lbs the SG is great get it adjusted once and go. I know everybody is different just sharing my experience.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
J
Yeah I figured I’d just try the return process of exo if I don’t like it weighted down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running the Kifaru Fulcrum, probably a little bigger than you are looking for but straps down small when hauling. And when hauling as mentioned above sets itself apart from the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
Yeah, I was leaning towards the Kifaru. But with everyone's comments I figured I would try the exo first. Wish I could just try them all but my wife would probably flip if i bought them all lol.

Yep! That's what I'm planning. Gotta give them a call as I wanted ranger green on everything, but the rifle carrier seems to be out of stock and I don't want to pay shipping twice lol...
I got an email this morning saying lots of items are back in stock including RG rifle carriers

Marble

WKR
I keep debating between Kifaru and Stone Glacier. Looking for a 3 day pack. Watched tons of reviews and it seems to just come down to preference. Anyone have any negative experiences with the kifaru bedlam an duplex lite frame or the Stone glacier sky 5900 with the xcurve?
I'm actually getting ready to order a bedlam. I just got the hellbender.

Like others have said, you can't really go wrong. If I had a kifaru pack 20 years ago it would have saved me money and time with chiropractor appointments. And I could have hunted more..

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
J
I'm actually getting ready to order a bedlam. I just got the hellbender.

Like others have said, you can't really go wrong. If I had a kifaru pack 20 years ago it would have saved me money and time with chiropractor appointments. And I could have hunted more..

Dang. Was it another pack causing issues needing a chiropractor?

Marble

WKR
Dang. Was it another pack causing issues needing a chiropractor?
I was using badlands and another brand I can't recall. Neither had a good frame, or good load lifters, or a good belt. I recall two specific times where I had to take one or two days off during the hunt to see the chiropractor and recover. That has not happened since changing.

I still use badlands for a day pack when not venturing far from the truck. When it comes to any type of real hiking with gear, my other pack comes out.

sivart

WKR
Just my opinion:

Kifaru frame is more comfortable for me, mainly because of the belt. I hate the kifaru bags, because they are heavy and not well thought out pocket configuration. I put up w/ their bags because I love their frame so much.

The SG Krux would be my 2nd fav frame. I like the SG bag configurations, other than some of the mid size bags not having good side pockets. Don't love the SG bag color options.

EXO makes the best, most thought out bag configurations. Perfect if you ask me. I just don't like their frame. K3 or K4.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned MR, SG, Kuiu, SO and now the Exo k4. For me the Exo waist belt just works the best. This year on sheep hunt my bag felt better than ever before.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I was going back and forth between the MR Metcalf and Exo K4-5000. I ended up with both and promptly sold the Metcalf. The K4 fit me better and after putting about 10 miles on with both and a 50lb load there wasn't much of a comparison. I know 50lbs isn't that heavy but for me I could definitely feel a difference between the 2 packs. Not downing Mystery Ranch in any way though. I have a Pintler and am thoroughly pleased with it.

Last edited: