New Packs from Kifaru 2024

PvilleMac

FNG
the issue is exo is also 100% made in America. So exo has figured it out and also ships with 24- 48 hours. Exo does so by staying small and stream lines and only sells packs and seems to be doing it better then their competition.
Im sorry, im far from in the know on all these things. I just know that Berry compliance Is a selling point to some people and I’ve always assumed that was part of kifaru’s higher prices because theyve always touted it. And theres more to that than just made in america. I have no horse in the backpack supremacy debate. Thats cool if exo is berry complaint, or even if they arent, i know theyre an american company and i hope they do well. They obviously are lol.

ljalberta

WKR
the issue is exo is also 100% made in America. So exo has figured it out and also ships with 24- 48 hours. Exo does so by staying small and stream lines and only sells packs and seems to be doing it better then their competition.
Are the materials on the Exo also made in the US? I know they build the packs in the US, but I was under the impression that some of the materials and parts were made outside the US.

I have had multiple SG and Kifaru packs and own a K4. Plusses and minuses to all, but I've always felt like the straps, zippers, and buckles used by Kifaru were superior to other brands (no idea of Kifaru uses 100% US sourced materials and part as well, but just a general observation).

Edit: Found on the Exo website, "In addition to sewing, building, and shipping 100% in the USA, we source US-produced fabrics and Berry Compliant materials from domestic suppliers and partners wherever possible..." Very unclear what that ultimately means in terms of what parts and materials are US sourced. It would be interesting to see a breakdown from the big pack makers as to what parts are sourced from outside the US on their packs and frames. It does seem like most of the Exo is US produced though.

Last edited:
Are the materials on the Exo also made in the US? I know they build the packs in the US, but I was under the impression that some of the materials and parts were made outside the US.

I have had multiple SG and Kifaru packs and own a K4. Plusses and minuses to all, but I've always felt like the straps, zippers, and buckles used by Kifaru were superior to other brands (no idea of Kifaru uses 100% US sourced materials and part as well, but just a general observation).
Going to take extra weight to make it bomb proof! People oversee that easily

Edit: Found on the Exo website, "In addition to sewing, building, and shipping 100% in the USA, we source US-produced fabrics and Berry Compliant materials from domestic suppliers and partners wherever possible..." Very unclear what that ultimately means in terms of what parts and materials are US sourced. It would be interesting to see a breakdown from the big pack makers as to what parts are sourced from outside the US on their packs and frames. It does seem like most of the Exo is US produced though.

On a podcast at one point they said they sell a bunch of military packs but have to swap a buckle or two? Something like that.
This is just hot gossip anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattm94

FNG
“The Berry Amendment is a statutory requirement that restricts the Department of Defense (DoD) from using funds appropriated or otherwise available to DoD for procurement of food, clothing, fabrics, fibers, yarns, other made-up textiles, and hand or measuring tools that are not grown, reprocessed, reused, or produced in the United States. The Berry Amendment has been critical to maintaining the safety and security of our armed forces, by requiring covered items to be produced in the United States. With respect to textiles and clothing, the Berry Amendment has been critical to the viability of the textile and clothing production base in the United States.”

Very different from “Made in USA”.

Your priorities may differ.

Drenalin

WKR
Exo has said on this site that they’re made and sourced in the USA. I don’t know if they have some small piece that isn’t, and don’t know why they wouldn’t be up front about that. SG is also USA made, and their R3 line is Berry compliant. FWIW

I don’t post any of that to crap on Kifaru. Their packs and other gear haven’t worked for me at all, but I still respect that they’re bringing USA made products to market. Hope this new frame does well for them.

Last edited:
The fact that this thread ended up a comparison to exo speaks volumes.

Yeah, exo might not be totally berry, but you’re telling me it’s $200 worth of difference!?! Exo has a factory here, and employs sewers here…how many other pieces of American made gear can I buy for $200?

Coming from a guy who loves his Stryker xl

prm

WKR
I have had Kifaru and currently have a K4. Both are excellent companies with excellent packs. I can find annoyances with both as well, but those are mostly preference related. The fact that we have these choices is good for us. Until I try this new design I won’t know if it’s worth the extra coin.

The fact that this thread ended up a comparison to exo speaks volumes.

Yeah, exo might not be totally berry, but you’re telling me it’s $200 worth of difference!?! Exo has a factory here, and employs sewers here…how many other pieces of American made gear can I buy for $200?

Coming from a guy who loves his Stryker xl

I think both companies keeping things USA are good enough.. Backpack fit is a personal thing. Ive tried Exo K2 and K3 and they just didnt work for me...I have not tried K4, mostly because Im completely happy with the Duplex Lite. If I had a complaint about the Duplex, Id try the Ark. Or Id try Exo. We live in a pretty great era of backpacks. In the Marines I started out using ALICE then went to Molle then ILBE and while they were all improvements over the other, none of them Id consider good compared todays offerings. Not even close.

But I do wonder if some of the price difference might come from company structure. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but listening to podcasts it seems like Exo doesnt actually employ their sewers and use an independent shop while Kifaru employs sewers internally. Maybe because they arent exo employees, they dont have to pay them wages and provide benefits, which can get astronomically expensive. Im not saying one structure is right or wrong, but maybe that is part of the factor in pricing.

Either way, both make superb USA made packs. Enjoy the options.

I think both companies keeping things USA are good enough.. Backpack fit is a personal thing. Ive tried Exo K2 and K3 and they just didnt work for me...I have not tried K4, mostly because Im completely happy with the Duplex Lite. If I had a complaint about the Duplex, Id try the Ark. Or Id try Exo. We live in a pretty great era of backpacks. In the Marines I started out using ALICE then went to Molle then ILBE and while they were all improvements over the other, none of them Id consider good compared todays offerings. Not even close.

But I do wonder if some of the price difference might come from company structure. Someone correct me if Im wrong, but listening to podcasts it seems like Exo doesnt actually employ their sewers and use an independent shop while Kifaru employs sewers internally. Maybe because they arent exo employees, they dont have to pay them wages and provide benefits, which can get astronomically expensive. Im not saying one structure is right or wrong, but maybe that is part of the factor in pricing.

Either way, both make superb USA made packs. Enjoy the options.
You are correct! As I stated earlier Exo has 6 employees. Sow shop is an outside independent shop located locally to them in the Boise area. To your point, I would guess that’s the main factor in pricing. Kifaru is a much larger company with many more employees. With that said, I have been on record that I wanted to try the new Kifaru. However after seeing the price of the frame I probably will be sticking with my exo. Again, I have no reason to go away from my Exo because it has fit me the best out of all of the packs I’ve tried. But the gear junkie in me, always likes to try and compare when new stuff comes out. Right now wirh new frame and current bags Kifaru would cost me $950 including lid compared to Exo $650.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this frame is more compact than the duplex frame?
Considering all of Kifaru’s legacy pack bags fit on the ARK frame, it stands to reason, that it’s essentially the same height x width. As I’ve used the pack I haven’t felt that the depth is much different. The stand off from the padding in the suspension is about the same and the curvature of the pack is about the same.

Drenalin

WKR
I have to say, in the video they posted on their site, it looks really good. More streamlined, seems like a "tighter" package overall. Aaron also said they had improved the comfort for light loads, which has been a big annoyance of mine with the Duplex. I'm not going to rush out and buy one now, or whenever they're available, but I might give one a try at some point.

T minus 10.5 hours till the drop test.
Aaron says they dropped it off their building with 150 lbs on it. I'd like to see that video!

Hey MD, how is the curve of the frame, the standard (semi curved) stays of the duplex lite worked well, the curved stays did not. I assume the frame is more similar to the semi-curve?

Hey MD, how is the curve of the frame, the standard (semi curved) stays of the duplex lite worked well, the curved stays did not. I assume the frame is more similar to the semi-curve?
Yes, the curvature of the frame is similar to the semi curved stays. (Listed by Kifaru as ‘Flat/Normal Composite Stays’ on their website)

In comparison to the composite stays and thicker HDPE frame sheet, of the Tactical Frame. The ARK has a more dynamic, live load feeling, while carrying lighter weight loads (20-50 lbs). Loads in the 50-70 lbs range feel similar to my Tactical Frame. I’ve been really impressed with the ARK frames versatility when it comes to loads of varying weights. As I’ve mentioned already…I haven’t carried loads over 70 lbs. However, from my perspective there’s no reason to believe the ARK frame wouldn’t handle heavier loads really well. Of course, no load in the 80-100 lb range is going to be enjoyable.

S.Clancy

WKR
I think it’s pretty funny, everyone Most I meet that complains about the weight of a kifaru pack could very easily drop a pound of their pack with all of the extra shit they pack. Or hell, 20 pounds off their gut
Some of us have 13 lb base weights and appreciate that our other pack doesn't come in a pound+ over spec. My Kifaru frame weighed more than my entire pack does now and carried weight worse (for me).

while what you say is true, becareful with Made vs Assembled vs 100% sourced.

Ive ran EXO since gen 1 and not changing but I think kifaru wins on the no compromise sourcing.

Trial153

WKR
Unfortunately for me pack weight is consideration at times, regardless of what my gut can stand to loose.
When I am 50 pound maximum flying into a hunt , a couple pounds of difference in base pack weight is a lot of creature comfort to leave behind. And 1000 extra dollar gear flights get old quick.

This new frame looks pretty sweet, just the streamlining/ simplicity of the attachments is big up grade. I really like it.

At one time I didn’t struggle with the cost premium that came with owning Kifaru however of late that’s changed somewhat. I really feel like there is comparatively equal or better products at lower cost. Now, in all fairness that hasn’t stopped me from buying anything from kifaru however I am cognizant that not everyone’s budget is as flexible. So when making recommendations or reviews I think the cost to benefits/ features comparison is way more applicable in this discussion then it was even say 10 years ago.