New Peak Refuel meals

OP
Shackdaddy
Well they have the official countdown going now so I guess will see tomorrow. This is either going to be great or a big let down.

OP
Shackdaddy

I wish they’d start making single serving meals. I haven’t bought Peak for this reason. My kid & I bought some for an upcoming backup trip. If it’s as good as everyone says I may consider repackaging. It would have to be pretty damn good to get me to add the extra time and cost to repackage though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ they are single serving meals :D

single (half) serving would be just right for my wife though; I just repackage when she goes.

I've found repackaging even when I go alone and use a full bag, saves some weight and maybe more importantly volume. They go into a freezer quart bags (and eventually end up in a Hyperlite RePack cozy when eaten.

Looks like it could be good, especially on a chilly evening.
I like how the 3 reviewers that posted for the backcountry meal company used tailgate pics.

I wish they’d start making single serving meals. I haven’t bought Peak for this reason. My kid & I bought some for an upcoming backup trip. If it’s as good as everyone says I may consider repackaging. It would have to be pretty damn good to get me to add the extra time and cost to repackage though.
I usually eat the whole things and if my wife is there alot of times finish hers.
The Primavera is the only one I actually consider large enough.
The Alfredo is adequate sized.
The pesto is delicious but I don't buy them any more because the amount of food is so low.

But you can easily buy if by the can and re package.

I usually eat the whole things and if my wife is there alot of times finish hers.
The Primavera is the only one I actually consider large enough.
The Alfredo is adequate sized.
The pesto is delicious but I don't buy them any more because the amount of food is so low.

But you can easily buy if by the can and re package.
I don’t mind slightly smaller portions for my dinner meal because I eat a lot throughout the day. My lunch starts right after breakfast and continues until just before dinner. Lots of calories.

Bater

WKR
I wish they weren’t unreasonably priced. I should package and sell my $1 ramen bombs to the cool kids and make some $$$

Seeknelk

WKR
I wish they weren’t unreasonably priced. I should package and sell my $1 ramen bombs to the cool kids and make some $$$
12 bucks for what amounts to gourmet when compared to mountain house or many others is unreasonable? When buying a lunch at burger joint is at least 12$ and doesnt even require freeze drying and packaging?
I don't feel it's cheap but it's certainly not unreasonable if.you expect to just add hot.water and have awesome stroganoff or whatever on top of a remote mountain.
I'd be charging triple that to make em to sell!

Bater

WKR
Highly unreasonable imo, but to each their own. An entire day of backpacking food runs me less than $8. I spend 30-40 days backpack hunting a year so yeah, the cost would be unreasonable for me. Probably not a big deal for a weekend warriors

Last edited:
Highly unreasonable imo but to each their own. An entire day of backpacking food runs me less than $8. I spend 30-40 days backpack hunting a year so yeah, the cost would be unreasonable for me. Probably not a big deal for a weekend warriors
Man you're gonna have to list this day of food out.
And how many calories?
I'm shooting for 3k per day.
I have a feeling your a skinny guy thats not that into food.
I can't eat a single meal for $8 at home or in the mountains.
I do 30 food bags a year as well and its like $30 a day.
So unless your eating some disgusting dollar store crap i just don't believe you.
You literally would have to eat a Ramen and like 3 of those cheap chocolate chip granola bars a day.
Id flipping pass out.

Bater

WKR
Man you're gonna have to list this day of food out.
And how many calories?
I'm shooting for 3k per day.
I have a feeling your a skinny guy thats not that into food.
I can't eat a single meal for $8 at home or in the mountains.
I do 30 food bags a year as well and its like $30 a day.
So unless your eating some disgusting dollar store crap i just don't believe you.
You literally would have to eat a Ramen and like 3 of those cheap chocolate chip granola bars a day.
Id flipping pass out.
Haha wow $30 a day? Again, to each their own, I just couldn’t justify that myself. Below is an average day for me:

-Breakfast
Granola bar & oatmeal ~ maybe $1
-Lunch
Tortilla/tuna packet/2 mayo packets/spam single and pop tart. ~ maybe $3
-Dinner
(Freezer bag meals generally)
Knorr rice or noodle side ~ $1
Ramen/Idahoan potato packet ~ $2

Add snacks like dried fruit, peanut butter singles and a candy bar and your still well under $10 per day. Don’t know or care how many calories. I change the meals up obviously but something like this gets me through numerous 6-8 day trips comfortably.

Note- I’m not fat which helps

Last edited: