New rifle choices

swampy14

FNG
I am interested in adding two rifles to the cabinet another 6.5 creed and a 30-06 potentially. I already own a 6.5 creed in a savage axis (I know not the greatest but it was the first rifle I bought myself and once i get another will be using for my son's first rifle and a loaner for friends), I have a .22lr and a .223/5.56.

I want to step up in rifle quality around $800-1600 range, ideally Id be able to get the same rifle in different calibers just cause I know the benefit of getting familiar with a particular platform, but that not a deal breaker.

The rifles I have been looking at are:
Weatherby Model 307 range
Begara b14 hmr wilderness carbon
begara b14 sqaured crest
Springfield waypoint model 2020

All of these can be had in 6.5 creed but only the weatherby is also available in 30-06. My top 2 picks for the 6.5 creed are the begara sqaured crest and the waypoint.

Should I consider different rifles for the 30-06? or try to find one that is the same action/rifle just different calibers?

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I know tikka is great and all but there really isn't a rifle design they have that calls my attention. maybe i should look into a differet stock/chassis for one
You joined the wrong forum if you didn’t want to get bombarded with suggestions for tikkas and rokstocks and SWFA/trijicon/NF scopes.

That being said, they’re not a bad rifle at all. Plenty of aftermarket support too.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Browning x bolt is a good factory rifle in that price range. But it almost seems as if you care more about how a rifle looks than how it performs? If that's the case it's really just subjective.

OP
S

swampy14

FNG
Check that waypoint off your list: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/springfield-waypoint-6-5-prc-gun-and-company-problems.325928/

What's the point of 6.5cm and '06? The creedmoor will do anything you'd ever need. Also, I scratch my head as to why tikka isn't at/near the top of that list.

I know the creed will do everything I have taken red hinds (similar to cow elk) with it using mono metals the purpose of the '06 was just to have something bigger. I like my creed and I dont plan on getting rid of it.

OP
S

swampy14

FNG
Browning x bolt is a good factory rifle in that price range. But it almost seems as if you care more about how a rifle looks than how it performs? If that's the case it's really just subjective.
It not necessarily looks but certain features Im looking for. I want a acis pattern mag, more vertical grip flat bottom fore end, threaded barrel and a high comb compared to a more traditional sporter style stock

Article 4

WKR
All good choices - although I prefer the 6.5 CM from a caliber choice.
In your list, suggest the Waypoint
May consider staying shy of Weatherby if you want to get into reloading. Weatherby components and ammo can be more expensive
An alternate suggestion would be the Seekins but that will be around 1750.

Last edited:

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
It not necessarily looks but certain features Im looking for. I want a acis pattern mag, more vertical grip flat bottom fore end, threaded barrel and a high comb compared to a more traditional sporter style stock
Gotcha. I've heard pretty bad things about all of those guns besides the weatherby, haven't heard anything good or bad about that one. If you could swing a bit more for a seekins I think those are really nice.

OP
S

swampy14

FNG
m
All good choices - although I prefer the 6.5 CM from a caliber choice.
In your list, suggest the Waypoint
May consider staying shy of Weatherby if you want to get into reloading. Weatherby components and ammo can be more expensive
An alternate suggestion would be the Seekins but that will be around 1750.
I like the 6.5 CM the comment about the '06 was just about adding something else to lineup.
The waypoint is the one I keep coming back to but I will have to look into the seekins

Matt5266

WKR
quality issues or accuracy issues?
Mostly quality. Both shot just ok. But both rifles needed sent back to Bergara because of burrs in the chamber. And 1 still would get cartridges stuck and it was not pressure related I sold them both and swore off Bergara for good.