New rifle help

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
In the market for a new rifle. Will primarily be used for a deer rifle with the possibility of doing a guided elk hunt in the future. I have narrowed down my choices to Tikka T3x, Bergara, Christensen Arms, Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, and Montana Rifle Co. (Montana Rifle Co. is last on list as they are no longer in business) Any suggestions on would be helpful with these brands and which cartridge would be helpful.

In the market for a new rifle. Will primarily be used for a deer rifle with the possibility of doing a guided elk hunt in the future. I have narrowed down my choices to Tikka T3x, Bergara, Christensen Arms, Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, and Montana Rifle Co. (Montana Rifle Co. is last on list as they are no longer in business) Any suggestions on would be helpful with these brands and which cartridge would be helpful.

Well, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Tikka or Christensen Arms. I think it depends on your budget. I have heard great things about the Tikka and I have shot the Christensen and liked it.

I’d read up on each and read reviews on each company and their warranties and customer service then I’d also research the caliber you want.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to the forum.

You listed some good rifles there and of them my personal choice would be the Christensen Arms. I have shot most of the rifles that you mentioned but only own a couple of the CA rifles. Feel better in my hands.

Now the question of caliber???????????????????????

.300 Win Mag is my choice.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum.

You listed some good rifles there and of them my personal choice would be the Christensen Arms. I have shot most of the rifles that you mentioned but only own a couple of the CA rifles. Feel better in my hands.

Welcome to the forum.

.300 Win Mag is a little much for eastern white tails

.300 Win Mag is a little much for eastern white tails
What do you have in mind for a cartridge?
And how far do you plan on shooting.
A Tikka 6.5 creed is an awesome deer rifle, a friend has one and killed a couple elk with it inside 300 yards.
I shot targets to 1000 yards with it and couldn't believe a $650 rifle could shoot that ridiculously good.
It killed those elk well enough but if you're wanting to use it on elk a 270 would be a great choice

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
What do you have in mind for a cartridge?
And how far do you plan on shooting.
A Tikka 6.5 creed is an awesome deer rifle, a friend has one and killed a couple elk with it inside 300 yards.
I shot targets to 1000 yards with it and couldn't believe a $650 rifle could shoot that ridiculously good.
It killed those elk well enough but if you're wanting to use it on elk a 270 would be a great choice
I'm thinking .308 win, 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmoor, 270 win, 30-06, more leaning toward the short action cartridge and here a long shot would be 100 yards maybe a little more if i'm hunting farm land. Wouldn't feel comfortable shooting past 300 honestly.

I'm thinking .308 win, 7mm-08, 6.5 creedmoor, 270 win, 30-06, more leaning toward the short action cartridge and here a long shot would be 100 yards maybe a little more if i'm hunting farm land. Wouldn't feel comfortable shooting past 300 honestly.
In that case you'll love the tikka 6.5 creed, super light recoil and very easy to shoot

nobody

WKR
You'll love the 6.5 Creed for what you're wanting to do with it.

Something to consider, but the .270 is actually passed in all ballistic aspects by the Creedmoor at about 300 yards. Beyond 300, the 6.5 creedmoor has retained more energy, drifts less, drops less, and it recoils much less up front. If you'd use a .270 for elk, there's no reason the 6.5 creed shouldn't be used either. It's ballistically superior in every way, and it burns less powder and recoils less. Neither one is easy to find ammo for right now, so that doesn't play into the decision either.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
You'll love the 6.5 Creed for what you're wanting to do with it.

Something to consider, but the .270 is actually passed in all ballistic aspects by the Creedmoor at about 300 yards. Beyond 300, the 6.5 creedmoor has retained more energy, drifts less, drops less, and it recoils much less up front. If you'd use a .270 for elk, there's no reason the 6.5 creed shouldn't be used either. It's ballistically superior in every way, and it burns less powder and recoils less. Neither one is easy to find ammo for right now, so that doesn't play into the decision either.
I'm seriously considering a 6.5 creedmoor it is on my list and all ammo is hard to find now. So just need to find the platform I like because even the gunshelves are bare. If really had to choose right now it would 1. Christensen Arms, 2. Bergara, and 3. Tikka.

nobody

WKR
I'm seriously considering a 6.5 creedmoor it is on my list and all ammo is hard to find now. So just need to find the platform I like because even the gunshelves are bare. If really had to choose right now it would 1. Christensen Arms, 2. Bergara, and 3. Tikka.
FWIW, Christensen seems to have a very different reputation amongst the local guys here in Utah than it does elsewhere. Judging by what I hear most people here in Utah say, Christensen's either shoot Half MOA or 2 MOE (Minute of Elk), with no in between. Christensen, to their credit, always makes it right, but apparently they argue the whole time with the owner. "There's no way you didn't damage this, you put some hot handloads through it, you must've overtorqued things, etc." I've never owned a Christensen, but I've heard enough stories from local guys that I probably won't ever buy one. Not sure if this opinion is shared outside of Utah, but I sure hear this stuff a lot locally.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, Christensen seems to have a very different reputation amongst the local guys here in Utah than it does elsewhere. Judging by what I hear most people here in Utah say, Christensen's either shoot Half MOA or 2 MOE (Minute of Elk), with no in between. Christensen, to their credit, always makes it right, but apparently they argue the whole time with the owner. "There's no way you didn't damage this, you put some hot handloads through it, you must've overtorqued things, etc." I've never owned a Christensen, but I've heard enough stories from local guys that I probably won't ever buy one. Not sure if this opinion is shared outside of Utah, but I sure hear this stuff a lot locally.
Am also considering a Weatherby Vanguard from their custom shop.

LBuchser

WKR
I hate to throw a wrench in the equation. Have you considered the Browning X-Bolt? I've owned and shot the Tikka and X-bolt, shot the Win 70 (Not the Extreme) and the Bergara. They are all good rifles, I just really enjoyed the X-Bolt and got phenominal groups. I'd highly suggest that it gets considered, the Hell's Canyon Speed and Long Range especially!

As far as caliber, there is so much to consider besides the species hunted. Right now ammo availability is a factor. If that wasnt the case, or if you plan on reloading, then I'd confidently suggest the 6.5 PRC. 6.5 creed is a great round, but it is on the lighter side when you're talking big game like Elk. 300win mag is big, but there is no such thing as killing an animal "too dead" either. But 300 win mag isnt for everyone and some have a hard time not developing bad habits like a flinch when shooting magnums. If you think that may be the case, then you can throw a brake on it or maybe go with the tried and true .308 or 7mm, you cant go wrong with either and they are very versatile. .270 is awesome (even though guys say the 6.5 is better, they are similar and it's still a great round).

If I was forced to only pick one rifle caliber, I think I would lean towards some version of a .30cal. But that's just me!

Good luck - Remember it's not all about the stick, its how you wield that stick!

nobody

WKR
Am also considering a Weatherby Vanguard from their custom shop.
That would be my number 2 recommendation, only beaten by the Bergara. In my opinion, there's not a better factory configured rifle on the market than the Bergara B-14 Wilderness rifle. That being said, the Vanguards are great guns too!

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I hate to throw a wrench in the equation. Have you considered the Browning X-Bolt? I've owned and shot the Tikka and X-bolt, shot the Win 70 (Not the Extreme) and the Bergara. They are all good rifles, I just really enjoyed the X-Bolt and got phenominal groups. I'd highly suggest that it gets considered, the Hell's Canyon Speed and Long Range especially!

As far as caliber, there is so much to consider besides the species hunted. Right now ammo availability is a factor. If that wasnt the case, or if you plan on reloading, then I'd confidently suggest the 6.5 PRC. 6.5 creed is a great round, but it is on the lighter side when you're talking big game like Elk. 300win mag is big, but there is no such thing as killing an animal "too dead" either. But 300 win mag isnt for everyone and some have a hard time not developing bad habits like a flinch when shooting magnums. If you think that may be the case, then you can throw a brake on it or maybe go with the tried and true .308 or 7mm, you cant go wrong with either and they are very versatile. .270 is awesome (even though guys say the 6.5 is better, they are similar and it's still a great round).

If I was forced to only pick one rifle caliber, I think I would lean towards some version of a .30cal. But that's just me!

Good luck - Remember it's not all about the stick, its how you wield that stick!
I've always wanted a .308 or 30-06 also considering a 7mm Rem Mag and yes I do have an xbolt on the list just didn't list it.

elkguide

WKR
.300 Win Mag too big for eastern whitetails?????????????????????

Living in Vermont, I have a pretty good grip on eastern whitetails. I shot 3 with a .300 Win Mag this fall and 2 with a .50 caliber T/C muzzleloader and did way more damage with the muzzleloader than I did with the Win Mag. That is what makes the .300 Win Mag the perfect choice for an all around caliber. You can load it up and you can load it down. Does it all and since you have thrown the 7 Mag into the mix, the .300 does everything the 7 will do, only better.

BAKPAKR

WKR
My brother, a couple of my friends, and I have Tikka T3Xs in 6.5 CM. They have all shot MOA or better out of the box with factory Hornady ammo.

I have handled, but not shot, a few Christensen Arms Mesas. They feel better in my hand than the Tikka because I like rounded forearms. Of course, I could get a T3X plus a T1X (22 lr for high volume practice) for about the price of a Mesa.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
tikkas are good, bergaras are heavy. Don't fall into the creedmore trap haha look at the 6.5 prc or the 270 win. if you want a "deer" cartridge to also hunt elk with. stainless barrels are so much less maintenance, but if you only use it once a year, blued is just fine

Well I am in the same boat as you just for my son. I currently shot a 30-06 so that's the road we are going with simply for reloading purposes. We got our hands on the m70 extreme weather and decided that will be the gun! Otherwise we were set on the Weatherby vanguard/howa 1500. (3 position safety fan here).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Well I am in the same boat as you just for my son. I currently shot a 30-06 so that's the road we are going with simply for reloading purposes. We got our hands on the m70 extreme weather and decided that will be the gun! Otherwise we were set on the Weatherby vanguard/howa 1500. (3 position safety fan here).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I've been to a ton a of gun shops and the shelves are bare. I will really need to do my research because I will have to take a flyer and get one off of gun broker. My last rifle was a Mossberg Patriot in .270 I really liked the rifle but looking for something nicer since the budget allows it.