New scope for elk rifle - which one / brand?

KineKilla

WKR
I've been very happy with my Leupold Vx-3 CDS 4-16x44 on my 7mm. The CDS system is so simple to use that it's hard to find fault with. As long as your load data is accurate when your turret is cut your results should be great.

Don't know about the toughness comments regarding Leupold products but I've never had a failure....yet. YMMV

I like the Fine Duplex reticle as it doesn't clutter up my view. It does not provide windage marks however.

I have the Boone and Crockett on my one VX6 and the Duplex red dot on the other. Both look the same to me.
With the CDS system it does minimize the need for the B & C. I love Leupold equipment and have beat the crap out of my scopes hunting and never had a problem.

PS love the swaro combo. I have the same combo scope/binos. Have used Leupold scopes for 20 yrs and Swaro EL binos for 15 yrs. Great combo.

ericF

WKR
I've been very happy with my Leupold Vx-3 CDS 4-16x44 on my 7mm. The CDS system is so simple to use that it's hard to find fault with. As long as your load data is accurate when your turret is cut your results should be great.

Don't know about the toughness comments regarding Leupold products but I've never had a failure....yet. YMMV

I like the Fine Duplex reticle as it doesn't clutter up my view. It does not provide windage marks however.

You'll find more people have dropped the custom CDS turret in favor of the MOA dial and accurate drop charts. depending on hunting conditions. The custom turret is good for one location based on where you sighted in and the conditions you had. I just plugged in a couple numbers to Strelok and someone sighting in a 300wsm at sea level at 80 degrees will have an 8 inch drop difference at 500 yards when they are at 10,000 feet in 10 degrees. That is not to say that the custom turret is bad so long as you are aware of the limitation of it when it comes to barometric pressure, altitude, and temperature

I’ve tried all sorts of scopes and have to agree with majority of responses above Nightforce are tuff to beat

Ram94

WKR
OP, did you decide on a scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

hans17

FNG
OP, did you decide on a scope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Down to Leupold VX6 3-18 x 44 and NF 2.5-10. Rifle not done until July so still debating. Weight and price about the same on each, down to reticle/magnification and the subjective reliability of each.

So many great options .... I have a Zeiss .... which accidentally broke .... 4 weeks later a new one was at the house .... as such any Zeiss product gets my vote.... I currently have a 4x14 x 44 .... works awesome ... I pull the trigger .... the elk falls over

I go used from several years back. You can find the top scope from a few years ago for a decent price. Although if I didn’t buy used, I would have gone for the Vortex Razor LH

OP
H

hans17

FNG
Have a Zeiss V6 3-18, been flawless other than windage dial getting spun unknowingly twice on an elk hunt, once in a scabbard and once in a pack. my hesitation with NF is I have -0- experience with them. Love swaro glass but a z5 crapped out on me and even though repaired its rocked my confidence in em. a lot of positive experience with leupold might bring me to a vx6

There are so many great products now ... vortex also a great choice. As long as a person can hit a ice cream lid at 300 your set for 80 % of elk shots .... foe the other 20% .... sneak closer

OXN939

WKR
Down to Leupold VX6 3-18 x 44 and NF 2.5-10. Rifle not done until July so still debating. Weight and price about the same on each, down to reticle/magnification and the subjective reliability of each.

You may also want to consider the Burris Veracity. Very well received by some pretty discerning end users.

I really think the nightforce glass is going to be hands down better ..... and just cooler / more unique too

gobears16

FNG
if you have until july to make the decision I would strongly look at the new vortex razor lht 3-15. I have the discontinued model razor lh 2-10 and the glass is amazing (better than my VX-5hd) and has held zero every time I've checked 1,000+ rounds. I would look at the reviews coming out in the next two months since they just started hitting the stores a month or so ago. From the early reviews people are loving it.

it sounds like you are building a pretty light weight rifle. I wouldn't ruin the balance by putting a heavy scope on top.