New SG bino harness is on the way ...

kpk

WKR
Not sure if this is useful to anyone, but I've started carrying this in one of the side pockets of my Marsupial so I always have a light. USB rechargeable, tiny, very bright, basically bomb proof.

1705411882509.png

Jethro

WKR
I hope they change the rangefinder holder to remove the noisy velcro. Im curious to see the bigger pocket in the picture too. I added a kuiu phoneholder to my SG harness which has worked well.
Does your velcro make noise during use of the pouch? I haven't touched or heard the velcro since the day I assembled the harness. That was 3 years ago.

atmat

WKR
Does your velcro make noise during use of the pouch? I haven't touched or heard the velcro since the day I assembled the harness. That was 3 years ago.
I wonder if he means the Velcro holding the rangefinder pouch onto the strap. I don’t love that part.

I wonder if he means the Velcro holding the rangefinder pouch onto the strap. I don’t love that part.
I don’t either and was annoyed when I first put it together, but have to admit it has caused zero noise/issue since (since whenever they came out)

My only complaint is the harness itself, but looks like they addressed that. Looking forward to trying it out.

atmat

WKR
I don’t either and was annoyed when I first put it together, but have to admit it has caused zero noise/issue since (since whenever they came out)

My only complaint is the harness itself, but looks like they addressed that. Looking forward to trying it out.
My Velcro will sometimes come a little loose at the RF connection point, but never while in use. It’s always when off my chest and being tossed around/stored. Overall it’s a non-issue for me, but I still don’t love that connection point.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm hoping this "wing" concept is true - hopefully they are low profile but work a lot better for supporting side pouches. The molle or velcro systems that just put pouches on harness webbing do not seem to be the ticket. Side pouches on my marsupial system drive me nuts.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hunting is not combat. There really isn’t that much that requires quick access (IMO).

I don't think I disagree with anything posted on this website more than this. I would have, probably 30,000 less confirmed kills on varmints, predators, and big game animals without near instant access to the following...

.Range finder (binos preferably)
.Short/long bipods (interchangeable within seconds)
.Lightweight rear bag
.Spare magazine
.Kestrel

Every single one of those items other than the long bipod ride in my Bino harness, along with other emergency items that never leave my body via the bino harness. A good quality and well fit bino harness, to me, is more important than a backpack in the vast majority of hunting scenarios.

prm

WKR
I don't think I disagree with anything posted on this website more than this. I would have, probably 30,000 less confirmed kills on varmints, predators, and big game animals without near instant access to the following...

.Range finder (binos preferably)
.Short/long bipods (interchangeable within seconds)
.Lightweight rear bag
.Spare magazine
.Kestrel

Every single one of those items other than the long bipod ride in my Bino harness, along with other emergency items that never leave my body via the bino harness. A good quality and well fit bino harness, to me, is more important than a backpack in the vast majority of hunting scenarios.
A little context, I did not write that as an absolute. I said there isn't "that much". I did not state "nothing". Yes, there are a few things I want quickly. The less I have on my bino harness the better. Some want more, some less, I just lean towards less. No issue with those who want more or whose hunting style benefits from the use of a larger harness.

Last edited:
off the home page - this looks to be a lot of the new stuff, mag/kestrel holder, larger pocket on another photo, bottom pocket now, beefier harness.

View attachment 657769
Looks like they kept the little quick release clips where the top of the harness connects to the shoulder straps… that’s one thing I didn’t like on the gen 1, and it makes it ride too low no matter what

The shoulder straps certainly look better, but it seems like a bandaid. If you can get the weight higher on the chest, the shoulder straps don’t pull on the back of your neck

When it comes out, I may look at rigging up the harness part of one of my bino harnesses to see if I can get it to ride higher

I like a lot about it, but I don’t want my harness down low with my pistol clicking into the waist belt of my pack, it’s uncomfortable and annoying when trying to be quiet

sr80

WKR
The only issue i have with the velcro attachment for the range finder is if you dont have it perfect it will snag and mess up your shirt/hoody.

What’s 0.1% situations we you speaking to? Shooting more than 3 rounds and the animal is still up? Needing chapstick? Dropping your pack for a stalk? Other than the emergency blanket use and sleeping out due to being lost, I believe there are multiple forum members that I have hunted with and had happen every one of those situations I wrote about. One of the owners of this site has been involved in those situations multiple times with me.

In any case, are they really 0.1% situations? Or is it more likely that those situations could happen frequently but due to how people hunt or their skill/knowledge they don’t see the opportunities?

For the last decade I have averaged around 150 days or more per year actively hunting and between 20 and 40 big game animals a year. Those days do not include shooting, scouting, camping, etc. If someone says that shooting 3 rounds or more, or dropping your pack for a quick short move are 0.1% situations- they aren’t hunting or killing very much.

Because I am curious why you believe those things are so rare- how many game animals do you kill a year on average with a rifle?

Because it happens, and at least for myself and some of the people I am around, they can make shots without a pack or rest. I also hunt with quite a few people each year that haven’t been trained or practice how we do- they leave packs, binos, gear all the time.
Curious, how do you manage to hunt so many big game animals every year? I believe you reside in Montana so I’d see the ability to hunt 2 elk, 2-3 deer, 1 antelope, 1-2 bears every year. Which would be around 10 critters. How are you getting to the 20-40 mark? Helping others hunt, different states? I’m asking because when I retire I’d love to hunt more, but am curious how people who hunt this much spread the hunting out across the year.

On the jacket thing, 100% agreed. Someone needs to make a hooded jacket, either light fleece or Alpha Direct with a face, and either a mesh or windshirt fabric back panel. It makes so much sense once you wear one.

Dynafit Free Alpha Direct is what you desire.
I have a couple of them and use for hunting, ski touring, Nordic skiing, running etc. in temps from 10f to 60f, all with only a t shirt underneath. It’s an incredible garment.

woods89

WKR
Dynafit Free Alpha Direct is what you desire.
I have a couple of them and use for hunting, ski touring, Nordic skiing, running etc. in temps from 10f to 60f, all with only a t shirt underneath. It’s an incredible garment.

That looks like an interesting option!

I have an OR Ascendant jacket, which is 90 GSM Alpha Direct with Pertex Quantum face fabric. It does really well, better than any other mid layer I've owned. I'd still like to see a hunting specific jacket made with no insulation on the back where a pack is worn, though.

That looks like an interesting option!

I have an OR Ascendant jacket, which is 90 GSM Alpha Direct with Pertex Quantum face fabric. It does really well, better than any other mid layer I've owned. I'd still like to see a hunting specific jacket made with no insulation on the back where a pack is worn, though.

The insulation there is minimal however and there is stretchy non insulated panels at the lower back and under arms. Not exactly like you want, but patterned better than the Ascendent or Ambient variants in my opinion.

woods89

WKR
The insulation there is minimal however and there is stretchy non insulated panels at the lower back and under arms. Not exactly like you want, but patterned better than the Ascendent or Ambient variants in my opinion.
Ok, yeah, that does sound a lot more like what I had in mind!

cmm1246

FNG
Not sure if this is useful to anyone, but I've started carrying this in one of the side pockets of my Marsupial so I always have a light. USB rechargeable, tiny, very bright, basically bomb proof.

View attachment 658086
How long does the battery last? I have been buying lights with "normal" batteries so I can throw an extra set in my bag just in case/when it runs out of juice. I'd be afraid to charge it one night and get stuck with a dying light.

kpk

WKR
How long does the battery last? I have been buying lights with "normal" batteries so I can throw an extra set in my bag just in case/when it runs out of juice. I'd be afraid to charge it one night and get stuck with a dying light.

Claims 3.5 hours on low. I don't rely on it as my primary light. I keep it in my harness which is always on me, then I can drop pack and not worry about being stuck in the dark with nothing if it comes to that.

I use one at work numerous times a day for quick inspection type stuff and they seem to last months in that environment.

TXCO

WKR

Yes this is what I mean. Its always sliding and scraping which isnt good for bowhunting. The velcro for the lid on the outside is no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Yes this is what I mean. Its always sliding and scraping which isnt good for bowhunting. The velcro for the lid on the outside is no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2142D2A9-89B5-42DB-8BE5-943804ED96EB.jpeg0C096CA1-DBF0-4A97-86A2-19000C04A1A0.jpeg
This will help. Its just Velcro with adhesive. I sewed it a little but I’ll try a stronger bonding agent