NEW STONE GLACIER GEAR IS OUT! Clothing, tent, packs!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What makes them the best? Because they are priced higher? Is there some site not influenced by advertising dollars that has rated them? Buying some of these brands is like buying Versace jeans thinking they are better than Levi's.

You may own clothing those three produce, but have you ever actually used it in continuous snow/sleet/ice/rain/heat/etc away from a camp, tent, truck, or guide for an extended period of time?

I’ve done it. Including being hypothermic in two out of the three and having to walk my self dry, or cook it dry in a bag. Have done it with TNF, MH, OR, Patagonia, and Arctyrx as well.

As systems go Sitka and Arctyrx nearly stand alone in pure performance, durability, and longevity. FL’s merino blend base layers are as good as any made, and better than the vast majority. Having used both Sitka and FL systems and pieces extensively, I fail to see “hype”. If a person gets wet- wether from sweat or water, they will be drier faster in a Sitka system than just about anyone’s. Again, I fail to see the hype. If you are hunting over a corn field, or making short walks from a truck, you probably don’t need Sitka mountain clothing. You don’t “need” it even if you are actually doing the activities it is intended for. But not needing it, and it being hype are completely different.

As for “overpriced Chinese stuff”, as an aggregate the top textiles in the world are Asian. I give two flips where a shirt was made, but I care greatly how long it takes to dry.

Pants and soft shell are interesting, would be more so in camo or even a different solid that would blend better with typical timbered terrain encountered during elk bow season. Puffy pants are heavy, jacket looks nice but there are good solid color offerings already at those specs. Bags look nice, curious what the girth dimensions are. Selling only a size that is basically tall adds a few ounces that would be unnecessary for dudes 6’ and shorter. I’m doubtful they are better or any cheaper than WM bags.

For people wondering about down fabric durability, 15d quantum isn’t particularly robust and will need to be treated with care.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I would agree you can get solid gear with similar specs - but I think the puffy is a bit of a unique piece in the hunting brands, only Kuiu makes something similar in fill weight with the Super Down Pro. Both the Sitka and First Lite down pieces have a lot more fill. I’m hoping the pricing will be better than Arcteryx........

Yep, jacket is very comparable to super down pro with less durable face fabric and fewer color options.

I agree to the super down jacket. It fits nice. I compared it to my kelvin lite jacket which I currently treat as my puffy. I don’t have my kelvin active with me but weight would be more comparable to that. The hood on both the lightweight jacket and down are awesome. The lightweight pants remind me of the pranas but have some great hunting features. The pants Unzip in the sides, no mesh. I didn’t get to see anything else. But I was given something for Christmas that I will be testing out to see how it fits in my current set up.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just signed up, is this still on their Instagram? I don’t know what a story is or where to find it.

blb078

WKR
You may own clothing those three produce, but have you ever actually used it in continuous snow/sleet/ice/rain/heat/etc away from a camp, tent, truck, or guide for an extended period of time?

I’ve done it. Including being hypothermic in two out of the three and having to walk my self dry, or cook it dry in a bag. Have done it with TNF, MH, OR, Patagonia, and Arctyrx as well.

As systems go Sitka and Arctyrx nearly stand alone in pure performance, durability, and longevity. FL’s merino blend base layers are as good as any made, and better than the vast majority. Having used both Sitka and FL systems and pieces extensively, I fail to see “hype”. If a person gets wet- wether from sweat or water, they will be drier faster in a Sitka system than just about anyone’s. Again, I fail to see the hype. If you are hunting over a corn field, or making short walks from a truck, you probably don’t need Sitka mountain clothing. You don’t “need” it even if you are actually doing the activities it is intended for. But not needing it, and it being hype are completely different.

As for “overpriced Chinese stuff”, as an aggregate the top textiles in the world are Asian. I give two flips where a shirt was made, but I care greatly how long it takes to dry.

Yes I have in fact I just got back from a 6 day SD archery hunt. And my opinion still hasn't changed, still over priced Chinese stuff. Your entitled to your opinion and to spend your money the way you want and so am I and my opinion is that they aren't worth the price they charge for them. Although I expect to be in the minority on this site. It's gear site and some people will defend their their favorite brands to the death on here. Other sites not so much. I've got some sitka stuff that hasn't lasted as long as some $50 stuff I've gotten off Amazon. At the same time I do have some Sitka stuff that has lasted as long but I don't see where it's performance is better than some of my other lower priced items. And it definitely doesn't dry out any faster.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I agree to the super down jacket. It fits nice. I compared it to my kelvin lite jacket which I currently treat as my puffy. I don’t have my kelvin active with me but weight would be more comparable to that. The hood on both the lightweight jacket and down are awesome. The lightweight pants remind me of the pranas but have some great hunting features. The pants Unzip in the sides, no mesh. I didn’t get to see anything else. But I was given something for Christmas that I will be testing out to see how it fits in my current set up.

Is the down puffy jacket a 'sewn thru' construction? Or is it a box baffled chamber?

How are the colors in person? They appear to me like they're more suited to my wife. I'm speaking specifically of the puffy and soft shell jackets.

Thanks for the intel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I will be honest the silver is very silver. I wouldn’t go as far as them being for your wife. I have the soft shell. When I get home I will snap a picture of the color.