New stone glacier pack?

sr80

WKR
I think that internal sleeve for meat is a genius idea, ive only tried using a meat shelf once and i wasnt really a fan of it. So for me this pack is perfect. Proven SG frame and load hauling capabilites. Also i find with SG bags there isnt a need to have a day type pack and a larger pack, they all compress down so nicely its not needed. You'd never know that this pack is a 7000 ci pack once its compressed for a day hike.

Just got mine today, I think it’s gonna be perfect. I’ve used SG since 2017 but picked up a Kifaru setup over the winter to test out. Here’s the Terminus next to the Dall. Curious to see how the flat stays work in this pack for me since the X-Curve was perfect
26B8FBFB-CEBB-4A8E-B12A-3ABE3C5DD2A3.jpeg

Last edited:

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Well, heck, I just ordered a Terminus 7000…. I’ve been packing out boneless meat for years. This pack might be perfection for me.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
@Kotaman since you sound like you are firmly in the x-curve camp like me, how’s the testing going with the Terminus/flat stays?

Jotting some notes down below in hopes it helps others considering these packs now or in the future.

Ordered and currently testing this pack against my x-curve, beciase I like “light” and bone my meat. My only complaints with the x-curve is the open spacer mesh being a magnet for everything, and since I’m 5’8” with a shorter torso, the top of the x-curve stays get into the back of my head, and I can’t look up. I’ve ran the xcurve since it’s release.

Context: I really struggled under load with the original Krux and the x-curve solved that big time, really keeps the hip belt parked for me. My back profile isn’t flat, I have shoulder blades and my back certainly curve. Against a flat surface I can get my hand between my lower back and the wall, but it isn’t extreme; it gets wedged in there and I can’t pass it through to the other side. I called the shop and talked to Phil, he mentioned that most folks grab their krux evo in the store when comparing the frames, and that shorter people like me also tend that direction due to the stay angle at the top of the x-curve actually bending back over your upper back. With the improved double pull belt and new fabric I said what the hell and ordered one to try.

Under load (54 lb of sand, not extreme at all): I get full contact with the lumbar pad on the x-curve, and like 40-50% with the flat terminus pad, meaning the top half of the pad really isn’t engaged when I’m standing straight up. This causes the belt to not want to stay parked and puts a pressure point above my ass.

So….the SG lumbar pads use two layers of foam, and a 3rd half sheet (ie about half the height from top to bottom of pad) stuck in the middle of the pad, on the frame side, which curves it. I have another lumbar pad so I I grabbed the half sheet out of it and stuffed it into the terminus pad, just trying to make the entire lumbar pad 3 layers and improve pad contact in my lower back. That bumped me up to about 95% contact, but obviously the pad gets harder from being more full. More foam gets more contact, but the angle that the contact occurs on the x-curve puts the top more into my back than bottom, which parks the belt firmly. With the flat stays the angle is obviously vertical. Not sure extra foam is “the” solution (one of the fixes Kurt had me try with the original x-curve) at this point since I experienced some back pain this evening, but will keep messing with it to try and see if this thing could work.

The upper suspension feels much the same between the two packs, and I can distribute the load how I want on my shoulders, upper back and front of my shoulders. And I can look up! Pack fabric is actually softer in hand than I expected, and I honestly just had to laugh when it picked it up due to how light it is.

Kotaman

WKR
@Kotaman since you sound like you are firmly in the x-curve camp like me, how’s the testing going with the Terminus/flat stays?

Jotting some notes down below in hopes it helps others considering these packs now or in the future.

Ordered and currently testing this pack against my x-curve, beciase I like “light” and bone my meat. My only complaints with the x-curve is the open spacer mesh being a magnet for everything, and since I’m 5’8” with a shorter torso, the top of the x-curve stays get into the back of my head, and I can’t look up. I’ve ran the xcurve since it’s release.

Context: I really struggled under load with the original Krux and the x-curve solved that big time, really keeps the hip belt parked for me. My back profile isn’t flat, I have shoulder blades and my back certainly curve. Against a flat surface I can get my hand between my lower back and the wall, but it isn’t extreme; it gets wedged in there and I can’t pass it through to the other side. I called the shop and talked to Phil, he mentioned that most folks grab their krux evo in the store when comparing the frames, and that shorter people like me also tend that direction due to the stay angle at the top of the x-curve actually bending back over your upper back. With the improved double pull belt and new fabric I said what the hell and ordered one to try.

Under load (54 lb of sand, not extreme at all): I get full contact with the lumbar pad on the x-curve, and like 40-50% with the flat terminus pad, meaning the top half of the pad really isn’t engaged when I’m standing straight up. This causes the belt to not want to stay parked and puts a pressure point above my ass.

So….the SG lumbar pads use two layers of foam, and a 3rd half sheet (ie about half the height from top to bottom of pad) stuck in the middle of the pad, on the frame side, which curves it. I have another lumbar pad so I I grabbed the half sheet out of it and stuffed it into the terminus pad, just trying to make the entire lumbar pad 3 layers and improve pad contact in my lower back. That bumped me up to about 95% contact, but obviously the pad gets harder from being more full. More foam gets more contact, but the angle that the contact occurs on the x-curve puts the top more into my back than bottom, which parks the belt firmly. With the flat stays the angle is obviously vertical. Not sure extra foam is “the” solution (one of the fixes Kurt had me try with the original x-curve) at this point since I experienced some back pain this evening, but will keep messing with it to try and see if this thing could work.

The upper suspension feels much the same between the two packs, and I can distribute the load how I want on my shoulders, upper back and front of my shoulders. And I can look up! Pack fabric is actually softer in hand than I expected, and I honestly just had to laugh when it picked it up due to how light it is.
So far so good, but I’ll let you know in a few weeks as the maiden voyage on the new terminus will be Kodiak the last two weeks of April.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So I've had some time under this pack - the original lumbar pad just didn't have enough to it for me; under heavier loads, which I ran side by side with my X-curve for a week, I wasn't getting good load transfer. My homemade solution was okay but I reached out to SG/Kurt to see what he thought. After working through contact points and tolerances for thickness, he fabbed me up a custom lumbar pad to help get the fit dialed. Got it swapped and immedately put it up against weight, even transferred as much weight as I could to my hips and it stays parked just how I want. I've waited to post back up until I had ran it a few times like that and knew for sure. No back pain, rides great. Can't say enough good things about SG and the kind of service they give.

Cruising through the hills, it is almost laughable how light this pack is on your back. With my typicall day load out, quite noticeable and enjoyable.

sr80

WKR
So I've had some time under this pack - the original lumbar pad just didn't have enough to it for me; under heavier loads, which I ran side by side with my X-curve for a week, I wasn't getting good load transfer. My homemade solution was okay but I reached out to SG/Kurt to see what he thought. After working through contact points and tolerances for thickness, he fabbed me up a custom lumbar pad to help get the fit dialed. Got it swapped and immedately put it up against weight, even transferred as much weight as I could to my hips and it stays parked just how I want. I've waited to post back up until I had ran it a few times like that and knew for sure. No back pain, rides great. Can't say enough good things about SG and the kind of service they give.

Cruising through the hills, it is almost laughable how light this pack is on your back. With my typicall day load out, quite noticeable and enjoyable.
what kind of changed did he do to the lumbar compared to the stock pad?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Glued in some additional foam on backside to reshape, so that I could get full contact with my lower back. Instead of a the stock profile that rounds in the middle, mine is now fatter at the top and progressively slopes down to regular thickness at the base.

mt100gr.

WKR
Glued in some additional foam on backside to reshape, so that I could get full contact with my lower back. Instead of a the stock profile that rounds in the middle, mine is now fatter at the top and progressively slopes down to regular thickness at the base.
Did SG have to build a new, differently shaped pad pocket to hold that extra foam? Or did it all cram into the original lumbar pad piece?

sr80

WKR
nice, i used to run extra foam in my old SG pack as well. Definitely helped under heavy loads. I had asked for extra foam when i ordered the terminus but the shipping dept forgot. (n)

AkRyan

WKR
Vista is neither of those things that you mentioned. Seems like people are worried that profit interests will undercut the quality now that vista has purchased SG. Time Will tell.
Look at mystery ranch! Or sitka

schmalzy

WKR
Nathanofthenorth – In regards to game bags inside of the internal load cell, it will work either way. We have preferred to use game bags or one of our load cell bags as it makes managing the meat a little easier, especially on multiple day pack out where you may need to get the meat out to hang it or cool it at night. Game bags of some sort makes transferring meat and keeping it clean a little easier as well. Ultimately, personal preference though.

Kotaman – Sorry to hear about the struggles with shipping on your pack, and I also apologize for the wrong belt sizing on it. Happy to hear that the layout is working well for you so far.
We will have a Terminus specific gun sling, it is in production right now. The sling will work virtually identical to the current sling, however it will attach differently and incorporate the top strap into holding the rifle. I have been using the design the last two years and very happy with function.
We will also have a Terminus hip pocket, it is a little wider and larger than our current styles, internal elastic loops for rifle rounds, and is made of Xpac material. This will also be available in April along with the rifle sling. If you need the rifle sling earlier, feel free to email me and we can make you one by modifying one for an Xcurve.

Chizelhead – We are expecting more inventory by mid-March. If you are interested, there is a “Notify me when available” link on the Terminus page of our website, this will send you an email as soon as they are back in inventory. You are also welcome to call or email to get updates as we get closer to the anticipated arrival date.

Best
Kurt
[email protected]

Kurt,

Any update on the terminus specific sling?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Scmalzy,
The new Terminus sling is in production, but if you or anyone else is needing one quickly for bear season before they are in stock, please reach out to me at Kurt@StoneGlacier,com and we will sewn one for you. Sorry for the delay.

Veganhunter,
Please feel free to reach out to me as well if there are any fit issues with the straight stays. There are several options we can use to address any fit issues.

Thanks
Kurt

Scmalzy,
The new Terminus sling is in production, but if you or anyone else is needing one quickly for bear season before they are in stock, please reach out to me at Kurt@StoneGlacier,com and we will sewn one for you. Sorry for the delay.

Veganhunter,
Please feel free to reach out to me as well if there are any fit issues with the straight stays. There are several options we can use to address any fit issues.

Thanks
Kurt

I purchased a new Krux Evo sling, thinking it would work with my Terminus. I only opened it tonight and realized that the quick release doesn’t work with it.

However I like to run the rifle under my arm, Kifaru style. I run the quick release around the shoulder strap, just under the sternum strap. It works really well that way. It would be cool if SG developed a strap meant for this purpose that could be attached there.

Kurt, any update on the new Terminus hip belt pockets? I’d like to get some ordered when they’re available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk