New stove from Kifaru!

EdT's stove works great.

Having used both stoves myself, I think the big differences people will see with the Smith stove are; it's lighter, easier to assemble and cheaper.

The turnbuckles on the EdT stove are effective, but heavy and difficult to assemble. As I already have mentioned, the Smith stove is also cheaper too, so I'm guessing once people start using the Smith stove and posting their thoughts, it will be an easy choice for backcountry hunters and backpackers.

I work for Kifaru, so I could be full of it, but we timed the assembly of both models and the Smith went together in half the time of the Ed T.

Last edited:
Here's a few photos from a recent backcountry fishing trip.

We used the Supertarp and Megatarp with Smith 18" cylinder stoves in both.

Guess Aron missed your question but call Kifaru and ask because almost no one has a Kifaru cylinder stove and has had a ti oval except the Kifar crew. I would assume that they fit though.

Having used both stoves myself, I think the big differences people will see with the Smith stove are; it's lighter, easier to assemble and cheaper.

The turnbuckles on the EdT stove are effective, but heavy and difficult to assemble. As I already have mentioned, the Smith stove is also cheaper too, so I'm guessing once people start using the Smith stove and posting their thoughts, it will be an easy choice for backcountry hunters and backpackers.

I work for Kifaru, so I could be full of it, but we timed the assembly of both models and the Smith went together in half the time of the Ed T.

Having used and currently still own an ED T stove and watching the video on the new Kifaru stove I can attest that the turn buckles on the Ed T stove does make assembly a bit of a PITA. Is it worth making me upgrade to the new stove to save a few oz of pack weight and minutes in assembly? Likely not at this moment because once assembled the two stoves function exactly the same way, that said however if I didn't own a stove then the Kifaru would obviously be the one to buy. But I have had 3 sold years of use out of my Ed T and its still going strong. Much prefer the weight savings and compactness of a cylinder stove over a box stove.

Hello Luke, I think you have a little experience with golite's sl3/5, :).....if you were considering using one in an sl3 would you have the flue/sjack through the top centre of the tent or through the side like in Arons pics above? Thanks.

Man Aron that is a sweet pic. Those clouds look insane.

Funny you mention the clouds...I sent these pics to my hunting buddy telling him to get a stove so we can use it in my Megatarp. All he noticed was the darn clouds. Apparently they are fairly rare.

Hello Luke, I think you have a little experience with golite's sl3/5, :).....if you were considering using one in an sl3 would you have the flue/sjack through the top centre of the tent or through the side like in Arons pics above? Thanks.

AndyB,

The stovepipe seems to be going out the side of the shelter because what are looking at is the tarp and an annex that attaches to the front of the tarp. Kifaru puts their stove jack in the annex for use with a tarp. For their tipis they put the stove jack near the top of the tipi, not on the middle of the tipi wall like the annex would suggest.

I have a SL5 myself and a Kifaru oval stove. It has a Bear Paw stove jack in it that is on the side wall near the top of the panel, but not all the way up. You want to put the stove and stovepipe near the tipi pole so that it is out of the way and does not waste any space in the tipi.

Larry

Personally with an SL-3 I wouldn't put a stove jack in it. The layout is just too tight for me to really want to work around a hot stove in there. Doable certainly though. If i were to put a stove jack in it it would be near the top but off to the side some. Like Larry says you want the stove to be as close to the center pole as possible really to avoid taking up usable space.

Hope that helps.

Back