New Strings & Tieing in Drop-away Rest

Kind of a two-part question here regarding new strings, tuning, and drop-away rests.

I'll be installing new strings and am wondering if I should get the cams synced right away, or after the strings are shot in. My thought is get the cams synced and everything to spec, and then re-check after the strings are broken in. Sound feasible? I picked up a set of hogwire strings, and my understanding is that there is typically very little break in with his strings.

Secondly, I'm seeing some varying opinions on the best way to tie in the cord for a drop-away rest. Some prefer to split the cable and serve above, while others prefer a d-loop with serving above. I'm thinking about trying the latter of the two. How are you tightening the d-loop with only one side attached to the cable? What type of knot is best to serve above the d-loop?

I finally built my own press, so this is all relatively new to me. Detailed pictures might be helpful.

The D-loop knot will self tighten as the drop away rest is pulled into position by shooting (or on your draw board). Initially I put some string wax on the cord and pull it tight by hand. Really beats splitting the string in my eyes. Easier to remove and doesn’t end up out the side or back of the cable over time or while tuning.

Wapiti1

WKR
OR probably covers it better in his PM.

I set the bow to spec with the new string and/or cable set, tune it up, then check after 100 arrows, and again after 200 arrows. If it moves, I'll check my tune and adjust from there. My goal is to keep the bow in tune and shooting bullet holes. Usually that also means it is at or very close to factory spec, but occasionally, a bow will tune a bit off spec. Just my experience and method. I don't shoot competitively. I just want to deliver a broadhead to the right spot.

I'm a split the cable guy for drop away rests. With a bow press, it's just easy to do it that way. I don't really have a reason other than that is how I started and I have no reason to change.

Jeremy

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
OR Archer always has good advise and probably set you in the right direction in the PM. Other above nailed it on the strings and timing of cams.

I am NOT a fan of cable driven drop aways and much prefer a limb driven rest. When I did use a cable driven rest, I split the cable then served around the cord.

OP
ndbwhunter
OR Archer always has good advise and probably set you in the right direction in the PM. Other above nailed it on the strings and timing of cams.

I am NOT a fan of cable driven drop aways and much prefer a limb driven rest. When I did use a cable driven rest, I split the cable then served around the cord.

I've been shooting the cable driven rests for years. Just curious why you prefer the limb driven? Seems to me that a good set of cables with the rest tied in correctly would eliminate much of the inconsistencies associated with stretch and twist.

nphunter

WKR
I use the football clamp that comes with the rest, it is the easiest and most versatile. I have served them in, split the cable and tried the d-loop knot. When tieing them in with serving or splitting the cable they can end up twisting when yoke tuning or over time.

The only disadvantage I have found to the clamp is the aesthetics are not as appealing.

TravisIN

WKR

I agree with Tony. Much prefer the limb driven rests. There aren’t really any timing issues when comes to limb driven, if the cord is tight your good. Which is a huge bonus if you have to make a field repair. Replace the cord and make it tight, and your good as far as timing.

Also a limb driven rest makes it to where you don’t have to even mess with your cables. I’ve never had the issue, but have heard of people having tuning issues because of the cord messing with the buss cable. That’s a second hand testimony but I thought it was believable. I used to split the cable and then serve above it. I always found it to be more secure than the d loop method. Personally would only do the dloop way if I didn’t have a press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk