New Study Shows 9.52 Million Acres of Western Public Lands Are Landlocked

Joelweb

FNG
Public land hunters should find this interesting...

New Study Shows 9.52 Million Acres of Western Public Lands Are Landlocked

Results of the most sophisticated analysis of inaccessible public lands reveals a staggering challenge that the Land and Water Conservation Fund could help solve

BOZEMAN, Mont. — This week, onX and the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership revealed the stunning results of a collaboration to quantify how many acres of America’s public lands are entirely surrounded by private land and, therefore, sit inaccessible to hunters, anglers, and other outdoor recreationists.

The Findings

More than 9.5 million acres across thirteen states in the American West were identified as landlocked by private lands in a study using today’s leading mapping technologies. The findings are now available in a new report, “Off Limits, But Within Reach: Unlocking the West’s Inaccessible Public Lands,” which unpacks the issue in unprecedented detail.

“At 9.52 million acres, the massive scale of the landlocked problem represents a major impediment to public access and the growth of the $887-billion outdoor recreation economy,” says Joel Webster, Western lands director with the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership. “These are lands that all Americans own, and yet public access is not readily available or guaranteed.”

Up until now, little has been done to make a comprehensive and detailed assessment of this frequently discussed issue. This new report breaks down the 9.52 million acres landlocked across the West into totals for each of the thirteen states, highlighting the largest landlocked parcel within each state and how many landlocked acres each federal land management agency oversees.

More than 93.2 percent of landlocked public lands in the West are managed by the Bureau of Land Management. Wyoming holds the most inaccessible public lands with 3.05 million acres—or almost a third of the total landlocked acreage across the region.

“onX was founded on helping people access the outdoors and public lands, and our partnership in this project is an extension of that,” says onX founder Eric Siegfried. “In additions to creating technology that enables people to make memories in the field or on the water, we strongly support efforts that either improve current access points or open up new opportunities for our customers. Why not start with the public lands that we rightfully own?”

A Solution in Jeopardy

The report also highlights the most powerful tool for opening landlocked lands to the public—the Land and Water Conservation Fund, which, among other things, pays for voluntary easement and acquisition agreements with private landowners. This joint effort between onX and TRCP arrives at a critical time for the fund, which is set to expire on September 30, 2018, unless Congress acts to reauthorize the LWCF.

“Our report offers a clear and accurate picture of a major access obstacle facing public land users, and the Land and Water Conservation Fund is the single most important mechanism for addressing this challenge,” says TRCP’s Webster. “Many lawmakers talk about their commitment to public access, and the clearest way for them to demonstrate their support would be to reauthorize this critical program by September 30.”

“Many public land parcels without guaranteed public access range from five to 30 square miles in size—we aren’t just talking about postage stamp sections,” adds Siegfried. “Understanding this, lawmakers have a very real opportunity to make a positive difference by expanding public access for the American people, and we hope they do.”

Landlocked Acres by State
• Arizona: 243,000 acres
• California: 492,000 acres
• Colorado: 269,000 acres
• Idaho: 208,000 acres
• Montana: 1,523,000 acres
• Nevada: 2,054,000 acres
• New Mexico: 554,000 acres
• North Dakota: 107,000 acres
• Oregon: 443,000 acres
• South Dakota: 196,000 acres
• Utah: 264,000 acres
• Washington: 121,000 acres
• Wyoming: 3,046,000 acres
Learn more and download the full report at unlockingpubliclands.org.

Original Story here: New Study Shows 9.52 Million Acres of Western Public Lands Are Landlocked | Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you suppose this includes parcels that only touch corners with other public parcels?

Not looking to start a discussion about corner-crossing, but if corner crossing is considered off limits, and tracts only accessible by that method are not included in the calculations, that number of inaccessible acres would be a LOT higher.

Looking at the study, I interpret it as being;
Large landlocked public parcels. i.e. surrounded by private land with no road/trail easements.
And checkerboarded parcels of public are considered inaccessible.

It looks like OnX was heavily involved in this study. I wouldn't be surprised if this "inaccessible public land" becomes a layer setting in the near future. Seems to me they already did the work.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skydive in and Skyhook out!
Fulton surface-to-air recovery system - Wikipedia

In one sense I can't blame private landowners (look at how some people treat private land), in another sense I'd like to see a way for additional access to these areas.
Wonder what the solution can be without infringing on personal property?
Another question that came to mind is how much of this land is usable? Or, is this land be used solely by the surrounding private land owners, and if so, what for?

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting, how do we go about influencing the congress to reauthorize

bsnedeker

WKR

In one sense I can't blame private landowners (look at how some people treat private land), in another sense I'd like to see a way for additional access to these areas.
Another question that came to mind is how much of this land is usable? Or, is this land be used solely by the surrounding private land owners, and if so, what for?

Here's what you can do in my opinion: join and donate to RMEF. One of their missions is to eliminate this type of thing. When one of the parcels of land surrounding these things goes up for sale RMEF tries to buy it so they can donate it to the federal public lands program. It just takes patience to wait until they have a willing seller.

RMEF is one of those evil "special interest groups" donating private land to the government for their own nefarious purposes according to Rob Bishop, which gives me even MORE incentive to donate!

muddydogs

WKR

Easy solution. If its not accessible to the general public then its not accessible to anyone for any reason. Close the land off to grazing or other private uses until private land owners make the public land they have landlocked accessible. We as tax payers are paying for this land to be used as private land which only a few get to use. Don't get me started on the millions of dollars tax payers spend on the CRP lands that farmers shouldn't be planting anyways but we pay them not to plant the ground for wildlife. Farmers and ranchers have quite the little racket going at tax payer expense.

I just watched a hunting show were the guys were bragging about there hunting area where they guide hunter for profit used to be farm land but now is all in CRP. The government pays them not to farm then they turn around and make money guiding hunters on land that tax payers paid them to convert and are still paying them to keep in CRP. Racket for sure.

Mtnboy

WKR
Here's what you can do in my opinion: join and donate to RMEF. One of their missions is to eliminate this type of thing. When one of the parcels of land surrounding these things goes up for sale RMEF tries to buy it so they can donate it to the federal public lands program. It just takes patience to wait until they have a willing seller.

RMEF is one of those evil "special interest groups" donating private land to the government for their own nefarious purposes according to Rob Bishop, which gives me even MORE incentive to donate!

Couldn't agree more. RMEF is just as much or more of an advocate for Public Land than they are Elk.

Lots of good organizations out there fighting the good fight, get involved any way you can, whenever you can. Our kids and their kids and their kids deserve to have what we've had.

CX5Ranch

WKR
@muddydogs, you have some homework to do bud. Enjoy that steak you're having tonight

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Easy solution. If its not accessible to the general public then its not accessible to anyone for any reason. Close the land off to grazing or other private uses until private land owners make the public land they have landlocked accessible. We as tax payers are paying for this land to be used as private land which only a few get to use. Don't get me started on the millions of dollars tax payers spend on the CRP lands that farmers shouldn't be planting anyways but we pay them not to plant the ground for wildlife. Farmers and ranchers have quite the little racket going at tax payer expense.

I just watched a hunting show were the guys were bragging about there hunting area where they guide hunter for profit used to be farm land but now is all in CRP. The government pays them not to farm then they turn around and make money guiding hunters on land that tax payers paid them to convert and are still paying them to keep in CRP. Racket for sure.

If only it was that simple...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
definitely not simple; the good news is in the last 10-20 years there have been some inroads- conservation easements, land swaps and outright purchases to gain access

the bad news is there are millions of acres that are still inaccessible

in regards to LWCF, contact your senators and representatives and urge them to reauthorize the act permanently and at full funding, I believe one of our senators is (has?) introduced a bill to do just that

the LWCF does more than above, it also funds local parks, trails, fishing access sites shooting ranges, etc

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I bet the private landowners adjacent to the land-locked public lands are using it. Or
charging heavy trespass fees for the public to gain access to it.

Ranger185

FNG
Since the current law makes corner crossing illegal, and since my military retirement check doesn't cover the cost of my own private land, I did the only thing I could do...emails sent to my congressmen, representatives, and senator. The best thing about these emails, is that if enough voters start hollering about the same issue, those issues start to get some attention. Do your research and use the system we have. My $.02