New take on the euro mount, feedback needed.-cleared by Robby

Out of respect to the site and the sponsors I will not be giving our business name. Please don't send any messages intending to make a deal. If you have any questions or comments please leave them here.

I have been working on developing an idea and want the feedback of the community to help flesh it out.

I run a machine shop and have a fascination with all things machined. I thought is would be cool to make an artistic rendition out if aluminum and see how it looked. After a bunch of modeling and toolpath revisions I have it to a place I personally love.

The intent of this euro mount if to provide a unique way to display a trophy or a nice set of sheds. The toolpath is intentionally set to catch light from every angle. I have an idea for a wall mount that will be secure and aesthetic.

The antlers are cut off the skull, aligned, marked, then drilled. A screw is then fastened from the underside of the mount into the antler. If you shoot something bigger the next year it can be easily swapped out.

Where I an looking for feedback the most is whether this us unique enough to have a place in your trophy room. The price will be close to $450 for a head and mount. I know that that is getting up to the amounts for a full shoulder mount. Would you rather a shoulder mount than something like this for the price?

Thanks for the feedback and to Robby for allowing this to be posted.
4b1bc3a254643752b69bf0ec1969d276.jpg
a9b995b99068aa38dc68c861c2c99498.jpg
e301cac193546a797429aca9b88da6d7.jpg
3991c310bc23f98f3ccaa7bfe320d0fe.jpg
0c9cb4b8b4895a40d26621a97d28194a.jpg
01d23647450f0ffa775a38f65cc1e02b.jpg

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

JH937

FNG
I think this is a cool idea for the right person. I personally would just have the skull dipped if I was going for that metal look.

I don’t want to collect shoulder mounts and will probably never do another on a deer or ever do one on an elk. However, I also like the bone of the skull.

The price is too much for me though on this. I can see people paying it though. It’s different and looks cool.

It is a cool idea, but for the money I'd personally go a different route. I'm more of a classic euro mount kinda guy.

On another note, I am jealous of the whole machine shop thing. To have one at my disposal and be able to tinker in.... I'd be in heaven! Too cool!👍🏻

elkyinzer

WKR
I dig it. At that price point I have no interest at this chapter in my life, but I could see adding one down the road to add something different to the man cave.

As for the price point being close to shoulder mounts, I don't see a huge problem with that. Personally I don't care for shoulder mounts with regular 8 foot ceilings. Vaulted log cabins, sure they are great but I think most trophy rooms in the average house looks junky.

Squirrels

WKR
Nice work regardless. I prefer the bone itself over a metal replica or cover of some sort, I don't even like dipped skulls. And as far as the price point, in now way would I ever give that kinda of money for something like it. Honestly I would give 10% of that price but as I said before I like the bone of the actual skull.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's kind of a cool and unique product that I'd consider for a euro mount (personally I don't like the bleached bright white a lot of guys like), but in my opinion, that's WAY to expensive for me to ever consider it. If it were a $100-$150 option, perhaps, but no chance at $450.

I love innovation and new ideas but I personally would not be interested. A real skull for me is a big part of the aesthetic of a euro mount. I actually prefer a more natural color of the skull vs. the bleached-out type. I sort of feel like this type of "mount" would be more in line with the HGTV crowd who might like the "idea" of having a western type décor in their home but wouldn't want an actual skull on their wall. Pretty cool concept though.

treillw

WKR
I personally like the look of metallized skulls. Tons of metals & finishes available. I would go this route if I wanted a metal looking skull, as I like the greater detail and cost. For ~$450, I'd be leaning towards a shoulder mount.

deerniag8.jpgdeerbrnz83.jpg

tntrker

WKR
I wouldn't. I'd rather get a bin or water and spray chrome paint on top of the water and dip it. Although that other was cool looking, I, personally, would rather have the looks of the skull vs horns on a shiny block of metal. Treillw's post is more my speed, good job!

Jimbob

WKR
I love metal work and I think it can make great art but for me it does not mix with animals. A metal skull or metal dipped skull makes me think of a robo deer or some sci-fi thing. I would not use it even if it was free.

I think you could make some awesome metal pieces that would fit in a trophy room though. For example, I have seen some really cool metal cut outs that I would put up on my wall.

1550088411171.png

Last edited: