New Thread Injector

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
Well new to me. Just got a singer 403a, It’s pretty sweet. Just getting into sewing and I believe this will serve me well. I got it for a fair price not free like some here which would have been nice. Plan on making pouches, a pack for turkey hunting and a frame with attached pack for hauling my lone wolf tree stand and sticks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
2ae684073c7de833b5757e4f53640c23.jpg

OP
T

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
Stabilizer straps for my climber, Third hand knockoff

68001375f8147427f38fd68bce69ce43.jpg

Squirrels

WKR
That 403A is junk......I'll come get it so you don't have to worry about it anymore...:D

ChrisS

WKR
Almost the exact same setup in my basement, gifted to me from my dear sweet mum. It's a solid machine and since they were so top-end in the day, there are still plenty of parts for them if needed.

OP
T

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah and to my surprise the parts are relatively cheap. Question for some of y’all more experienced. What is the best thread to use for a size 18 needle and heavy material

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Last edited:
OP
T

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks pods. I have some coats and the only issue I was having is the bobbin thread was not coming up well. It was long loops tangled underneath the plate. Changed to lighter bobbin thread and issue went away. I read that I might have had to many threads per inch. So I will reduce to 6 when I get home and try again

ChrisS

WKR
Thanks pods. I have some coats and the only issue I was having is the bobbin thread was not coming up well. It was long loops tangled underneath the plate. Changed to lighter bobbin thread and issue went away. I read that I might have had to many threads per inch. So I will reduce to 6 when I get home and try again

That or thread tension.

OP
T

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
Alright so I’ve adjust thread tension and the only way to get it to make a decent sew is maxed out at 9 and the machine doesn’t feel right at this setting. I’ve adjusted bobbin tension also to where it’s a lot looser. It sews great with heavy thread and lighter weight bobbin

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
That machine may not have clearance in the bobbin mechanism for 69 thread. Not sure that it was very common thread for home sewers back in the day. If you look at old thread spools, it was usually very light. Try some 46 or 35 and see. The down side to the smaller threads is that they obviously aren't as strong for things like packs. Many machines sew better with one size smaller on the bobbin and it is often recommended by machine manufacturers.

WoodBow

WKR
Yea I would suggest some size 46 thread. I find I use that the majority of the time if it is in a home model machine. Everybody wants to recommend the heavy upholstery weight thread but it tends to just be a pain with home machines. I have never had a seam fail using 46.

Once you find what works, buy it in a big spool. It is way cheaper that way. Also buy 10 or more bobbins and pre-wind them. It annoys the crap out of me to run out of bobbin thread mid seam and have to pull the thread out of the guides and wind another bobbin. It is a real problem with the heavier threads because not as much of it will fit on a bobbin.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The domestic machine I have runs 69 fine, sorry for steering anyone the wrong way, obviously a bit thinner should run better. Good luck!

Yes spool up multiple bobbins as woodbow suggested. I love the fact the industrial winds bobbins on the side while it sews (need two cones of thread though) that plus the larger bobbins makes life easier for me running a lot of thread.

OP
T

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice guys. Ok waiting on some new thread now.

OP
T

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
Like I said I have a lot to learn. Trying to learn from what I can from y’all and the internet. No one close to me to teach me

OP
T

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
Ok guys I’m wanting to make a frame to pack my stands with and I’m considering getting a another machine that can punch thru the frame sheet. I realize this isn’t necessary so this is more of a want then a need. I found a singer bz 15-8 do any of y’all know if this would be capable. I’m not finding much on google about it so I figured I would ask

OP
T

Turkeyslayer7

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been working on a modified Sherman pocket should be finished up tonight I will post pictures when I do. It’s good practice for upcoming projects I will likely give it to one of my buddies for our trip this year