New Tikka 7/NF combo Started

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Was able to get out last night for a quick session...Loaded up 162s at 68, 68.5, 69 of R26 at Mag Length. Never have had good luck with R26, but saving my H1000 for my scenar loads. 68.5 was the best of the three. I was able to put 5 into 1.2" - not great but again, just wanted to get some bullets down range. The 68.5 load did average 3050 FPS from the 24" barrel.

Ideally, I will switch back to H1000 and attempt to find a load with the 150 scenars hopefully in that 3100 FPS range.

One thing that did catch me bit off guard - was the recoil. I have shot a lot of rifle (lots of magnums up to 416) and this little 7.5 pound 7 mag with a full house 162 at 3050 absolutely beat me up...Was not fun at all. I am not a fan of them, but even with the McMillan/Decelerator Pad combo coming - if its still this obnoxious, Im putting a brake on it.

With that being said, is anyone running a side port break on a Tikka Lite or Superlite that is contoured to the barrel? Do they exist? If I have to run a brake, I am not putting any "howitzer" looking baffled brake on the end. I will run a contoured radius brake before I do that.

IMG-6772.jpg

IMG-6773.jpg

IMG-6774.jpg

16Bore

WKR
But....but....everyone wants a light rifle?? They’re nice to carry and a bitch on the bench. My 06’ is enough and why my 223 gets the shit shot out of it...

Rob5589

WKR
The factory recoil pads leave a lot to be desired. You may still end up braked but, a Limbsaver pad will make a significant improvement.

Pwb199

Lil-Rokslider
My 300 wsm tikka kicks harder than a mad soccer mom. I know it’s not Exactly what you’re looking for, but this clamp on muzzle brake has been surprisingly helpful. Wish it wasn’t as big, but I don’t get anxious to shoot it anymore. Nice set up by the way!

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I want to kill a bear with this rifle this spring so limited on time as season opens this coming week. Dropped the rifle off at my local Smith for a matching contour radial brake. Said it would be done mid week.

Shane431

FNG
I had the same rifle. I got tired on the sharp recoil from the 7mag. I'll pulled the barrel and now it's a 6.5 PRC. It's a lot more fun to shoot! So if you need a spare SS Tikka 7mag barrel, I'll sell you one cheap!

You will get plenty of opinions of what is "best" but one really good set-up that is rock solid is the Sportsmatch rings, lots of guys running those. Or some like the Talley Ltw's also or some like the DNZ mounts. I had the DNZ rings/bases that looked like a beefy version of the Talleys but when I went to a 30MM scope I switched to the Sportsmatch and sure like them. I've posted this pic before but for reference here is a set of Sportsmatch with a 10x42 scope.
414236793.jpg

Not a great picture but this was with the 2 piece DNZ rings/bases.
413447220.jpg
What rifle is that?

I had the same rifle. I got tired on the sharp recoil from the 7mag. I'll pulled the barrel and now it's a 6.5 PRC. It's a lot more fun to shoot! So if you need a spare SS Tikka 7mag barrel, I'll sell you one cheap!
What made you choose 6.5PRC, do you reload?

Has anyone swapped their Tikka stock out to a custom stock? if so what are some good options? Running a Tikka T3 7mm as well and am on the fence about changing the stock out.

WKR
I had 180 Scenars shoot quite nicely in an old Ruger 77 7 mag. Those were probably 1/9.5 or 1/9.25 twist. Those at 5300 feet elevation. So if you wanted to try them, perhaps the Tikka could shoot them. I got tired of shooting rifles much that kicked, and I will not own another braked rifle. So I dropped down to 6.5-284 and 6.5x47. Much more fun.

Shane431

FNG
What made you choose 6.5PRC, do you reload?

I don’t reload but I have a great ammo maker near me that basically does custom ammo. I don’t like recoil. I mean I have no problem getting behind a 300 win mag for a couple shots but I don’t want to shoot 50 rds through it. I also like to practice so I want something I can shoot all day. So I wanted something faster than a 6.5 cm but less than a 7 mag. This is where I ended up. Basically a 200-250 FPS quicker 6.5 cm.

I don’t reload but I have a great ammo maker near me that basically does custom ammo. I don’t like recoil. I mean I have no problem getting behind a 300 win mag for a couple shots but I don’t want to shoot 50 rds through it. I also like to practice so I want something I can shoot all day. So I wanted something faster than a 6.5 cm but less than a 7 mag. This is where I ended up. Basically a 200-250 FPS quicker 6.5 cm.
Thank you very much! I'm flirting with the idea of a fast, hard-hitting rifle, but the lack of ammo ability sans reloading of 6.5PRC kinda makes me wary. What turned you off from a 7Mag?

Shane431

FNG
Thank you very much! I'm flirting with the idea of a fast, hard-hitting rifle, but the lack of ammo ability sans reloading of 6.5PRC kinda makes me wary. What turned you off from a 7Mag?

I don’t like recoil. I mean I have no problem getting behind a 300 win mag for a couple shots but I don’t want to shoot 50 rds through it. I also like to practice so I want something I can shoot all day. So I wanted something faster than a 6.5 cm but less than a 7 mag. This is where I ended up. Basically a 200-250 FPS quicker 6.5 cm.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Got my rifle back from the smith today. Muzzle Brake installed - looks nice and clean. Also put a different bolt handle on it. Got ready to mount the Sako Classic stock and holes were off. When tightened it would pinch the BM and the magazine wouldn't snap in. Stock is going back - and that's fine - I'm going to stick with the factory stock. Will bed it tomorrow.

150 Scenars came in - ready to work with those and H1000. Will be looking for 3100-3150 with low ES and accuracy. Here you can see a 150 scenar next to a 162 eld x. For people who wonder if scenars are target bullets or hunting bullets - they are neither....They are killing bullets.