New to archery - what arrows for elk?

jcojocaru

FNG
New to archery and still learning about it. What arrows and broadheads would you recommend for elk? Have a 29" draw 70lb compound that I'm practicing with.

I have learned heavy is better and to use fixed blade broadheads. Would you be practicing with the exact arrows you plan to hunt with?

Thanks for any advice!

BBob

WKR
Too much overthinking seems to go on here. I’d just pick the appropriate Axis shaft, put a 125gn head on it with Blazer vanes. Heavier inserts or collars in/on it are certainly not required but you could if it makes you feel better. Go shoot, go hunt, kill an elk with no changes other than field points and broadheads.

Bump79

WKR
Too much overthinking seems to go on here. I’d just pick the appropriate Axis shaft, put a 125gn head on it with Blazer vanes. Heavier inserts or collars in/on it are certainly not required but you could if it makes you feel better. Go shoot, go hunt, kill an elk with no changes other than field points and broadheads.
100%. Arrows aren't magic & there are a lot of BS'ers online. 100 grains is 0.2 ounces... don't overthink it. Get a moderate weight 450-550 put a sharp fixed head on it and move on. The arrow or broadhead WON'T be you're limiting factor - Your skill will.

If I was starting I'd get an Easton Axis or an Easton Sonic & put a 125 head on it as well. Just make sure you're spined right.

Last edited:
IMO 450-500 gr total arrow weight would give you a good balance of weight and speed (around 270-290 fps depending on the IBO rating of your bow).

To keep things simple and affordable, I would recommend a 300 spine standard diameter (.245"/6.5mm) shaft around 9 gpi cut to around 29" with a 50 gr insert, 100 gr point/head, 3 Blazer vanes, and an unlighted nock. Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce all fit that description and would come out around 440-460 gr TAW set up as I described. If you wanted to go a little heavier, you could use a 125-150 gr point/head or add weight screws behind the insert.

Practice with the exact arrows you'll be hunting with and tune your bow to get field points and broadheads hitting the same spot. To save wear on your target, do most of your practice with field points, but it's a good idea to shoot a broadhead every now and then to make sure everything is still in tune.

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
IMO 450-500 gr total arrow weight would give you a good balance of weight and speed (around 270-290 fps depending on the IBO rating of your bow).

To keep things simple and affordable, I would recommend a 300 spine standard diameter (.245"/6.5mm) shaft around 9 gpi cut to around 29" with a 50 gr insert, 100 gr point/head, 3 Blazer vanes, and an unlighted nock. Black Eagle Outlaw, Easton 6.5mm, Gold Tip Hunter, and Victory VForce all fit that description and would come out around 440-460 gr TAW set up as I described. If you wanted to go a little heavier, you could use a 125-150 gr point/head or add weight screws behind the insert.

Practice with the exact arrows you'll be hunting with and tune your bow to get field points and broadheads hitting the same spot. To save wear on your target, do most of your practice with field points, but it's a good idea to shoot a broadhead every now and then to make sure everything is still in tune.
You can also just keep a bareshaft in the quiver and you don't need a broadhead that way.

All I’d add here is don’t fall for the “only fixed blade” thing. I used to only shoot them but now carry mechanicals. They blow clean through, fly in winds and at distance better, leave bigger holes and more blood. I will be carrying three Grim Reapers and two of the Sevr 1.75. I have multiple boxes of fixed blades and won’t be carrying any of them this year.

Jim813

FNG
I shoot the same 29" draw and 70lb. I tried several arrows before settling on the Easton 4mm FMJ 300 spine. I shot the exact arrow preparing for my hunt, but often practiced with a field tip of the same weight as my broadhead. I ended up trying a few broadheads and ended up with a fixed 3 blade that flew essentially the same as the field point.

I would typically make a small mark on my fletching in roman numerals (I,II,III,IV,V) so I could keep track of each arrow when I would shoot groupings. I ended up with several arrows out of twelve that I was very confident in that I would stage in my quiver based on my confidence level.