New to backcountry hunting

NDM91920

FNG
I am about to go on my first ever backcountry hunt for elk in Utah. We're planning on doing 3-4 day trips over the course of 10 days. I have a list of stuff im going to bring I was just curious if there was anything people dont think of that is really nice to have on multi day trips?

In my experience less is more man. Make sure your food/water is dialed, take care of your feet, and don’t forget your glass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
3-4 day trips over 10 days? Sounds like a vacation vs an elk hunt. You need to be out there every day until you aren't.

Marble

WKR
I am about to go on my first ever backcountry hunt for elk in Utah. We're planning on doing 3-4 day trips over the course of 10 days. I have a list of stuff im going to bring I was just curious if there was anything people dont think of that is really nice to have on multi day trips?
If you search around on here and see some people's lists, you'll get a good idea of what you should and shouldn't bring.

People who are new to backpacking either bring too much stuff, or the wrong stuff. The other category I see a lot is buying crappy gear. You would be best served by doing a few overnight trips (even if it's in your back yard) where you set up camp and try out what you've got.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

If you search around on here and see some people's lists, you'll get a good idea of what you should and shouldn't bring.

People who are new to backpacking either bring too much stuff, or the wrong stuff. The other category I see a lot is buying crappy gear. You would be best served by doing a few overnight trips (even if it's in your back yard) where you set up camp and try out what you've got.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Good advise here. This allows you see what issues or problems you need to solve before marching off into the never never land.

Mike 338

WKR
Not sure if your walking in or how you're doing it but taking care of your feet is seldom addressed until it's to late and you've developed blisters. I take several packages of mole skin and a tiny scissors. Covering the hot spots before they're hot can make the difference between having a good time or a miserable time. If you can feel where you're probably going to get a blister, don't wait till lunch or the end of the day to do something about it. Just sit down and rip your boot off and take care of it. Or... don't. That's how we know things.

I actually take a pillow case and a small inflatable pillow. In the past I have found my impromptu pillows made of wadded up socks, accidental pine cones, my burr covered hoodie, and yesterdays underwear to be un-sleepable.

Portable aqua water purifying tablets in my survival kit and a steri pen. Tablets Taste bad but they’ll allow you to get a drink when you run out of water, without trashing your GI tract for the next five years.

Pair of sturdy Rubber gloves and double handful of paper towels in my kill kit.

If your rifle is mag fed, carry a spare full mag in your pocket. I’ve only needed it once in 30+ years of hunting, but when you need it, you need it NOW.

Three ways to start a fire. Practice with them in crap conditions. LIke the spare clip you may never need them, but when you do they better work or ur gonna die.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if your walking in or how you're doing it but taking care of your feet is seldom addressed until it's to late and you've developed blisters. I take several packages of mole skin and a tiny scissors. Covering the hot spots before they're hot can make the difference between having a good time or a miserable time. If you can feel where you're probably going to get a blister, don't wait till lunch or the end of the day to do something about it. Just sit down and rip your boot off and take care of it. Or... don't. That's how we know things.
Duct tape also works well.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Experience is the best way to learn. when I first started out, I would take things I knew I would need, then, then I would ask myself, what else do I need without over packing. After a few trips you will find things you can do without, or add to list of must have for the next time out. I like the idea of making a few shorter trips to find out what works. Never ever forget TP and wet wipes, never.

ChapStick, leukotape, extra socks, and a book (paper or digital). I have been glad to have these on hand multiple times.

Im in the same boat. I'm getting ready to do my 1st back country hunt. We are planning on packing in 10 days

SWOHTR

WKR
If you’ve never camped outside, alone, in a remote place before…I’d recommend trying that for one night at some place low-risk. Night falls quickly and quietly and if you’re not ready it can mess with your head.

Anything that you are bringing “just to be safe” or that “may come in handy” can stay in the truck. Being fast and light is not something that should be taken lightly. Get an idea of the total weight of your pack that is your “comfort” level before heading out and do some steep downhill hikes after a leg workout. Your gait will change as your legs wear out and can cause issues with your feet in your boots - I guess I’m trying to say make sure your footwear is dialed cause nothing can take you out of the mountains faster than your feet hurting.

CMF

WKR
Likely, the only question you'll be asking after you get out there is what the hell you can take out of your pack. I've pretty much only removed stuff since first starting out. The only thing I've added is down booties in cooler weather since my feet are usually cold when sleeping.
Some things I've removed since starting, camp shoes, bits and pieces from misc and first aid kit that I can really go without or make use of something else, xtra/dublicate items, extra food/clothes. The food and clothes will get dialed with experience.