New to backcountry hunting

3-4 day trips over 10 days? Sounds like a vacation vs an elk hunt. You need to be out there every day until you aren't.
I think he means going in for 3-4 days, coming out to relocate/resupply and then going back in. Not 3 - 4 hunting days out of the ten days

^Luekotape is a must, good fitting boots. DONT be cheap on socks. I would hunt slower than you anticipate to hunt.

+1 on the Luekotape, I legit use it for everything. Bandages, field gear repair, blister protection, you name it Luekotape can fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baby wipes. Definitely leokotape. I like a second headlight. Small nail clippers. Inflatable pillow. Contractor trash bag.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I learned about leukotape a couple years ago and it is so much better then mole skin, duck tape or any other blister bs!!
Boots that fit are even better the leukotape. As said good socks are a must also.

Marble

WKR
Im in the same boat. I'm getting ready to do my 1st back country hunt. We are planning on packing in 10 days
That... is a long time...I hope you have done similar trips before.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Awesome man! Don't bring too much stuff. If it's a day trip, don't bring overnight gear and tons of food and water. Bring what you need and a tiny reserve. Don't triple your pack weight. Be prepared to cover a lot of ground, and to spend a good amount of time set up when you find a good glassing spot.

If you're taking trips 3-4 days in length, that's awesome. Easy to plan for. If you're taking day trips, three or four times, you're going to lose a lot of either a)hunting time or b)sleep by having to drive to/from the hunt during the evening/early morning. You really, really want to be ready to hunt before the sun lights the sky, and out until there is no remaining sunlight.

SteveinMN

FNG
Baby wipes. Definitely leokotape. I like a second headlight. Small nail clippers. Inflatable pillow. Contractor trash bag.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Best advice I ever read: Always have a set a spare batteries for your headlamp. So you don't loose those batteries, keep them in your backup headlamp.

MtnTX12

FNG
Does anybody carry their camp on their person?

For example, I'm doing a 5 day 1st rifle. I'll plan on hiking in a couple miles, setting up a spike camp, and using my main pack with only water, kill kit, extra layers for glassing, tripod/spotter, and that's really it. Everything else is staying at spike camp. I've heard of some people who hunt with everything.

Anybody ever done this and how are you not completely worn out doing it?

Marble

WKR

For example, I'm doing a 5 day 1st rifle. I'll plan on hiking in a couple miles, setting up a spike camp, and using my main pack with only water, kill kit, extra layers for glassing, tripod/spotter, and that's really it. Everything else is staying at spike camp. I've heard of some people who hunt with everything.

Some do it, most don't. I have done a very similar method and yeah, im worn out. But you have to do whatever you have to when you want a bull.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

All that tells me is they either just love back packing or have no clue where the elk are. Or both. Your plan is better. Set your camp and hunt light. If you head out of camp in every direction and don’t find sign, then go ahead and move your camp. But to be honest, I think you should hunt from the truck first and see if there are elk before you even set the first spike camp.