New to ducks

yojo.3

FNG
So ive been kicking around the idea of adding another expensive hobby to the list, because i dont have enough other things on my wish list right now apparently. And ive been thinking about trying duck hunting. Last time i was out was probably 12 years ago as a tag along. Was thinking about getting about a dozen decoys. I found a 6 pack of greenhead gear mallards and a 6 pack of greenhead blue wing teal. Curious what you guys think of this set up for a beginner setup. Whether these are good decoys or not. Whats a good rig system? Can i tie them all in a line and throw them out? Any suggestions. Or if any of you are in NE Sodak if youd be willing to have me come along and try to learn from you.

Rob5589

WKR
I've found the set up to be more important than the dekes themselves. I have some pretty beat up ones and birds still come in. I do find larger (magnum) dekes seem to bring in birds from further away. As far as quantity, it depends. I've used 8-10 on some spreads and over 100 on others.

As far as spread lay out, it really varies by conditions, bird density, terrain, weather, etc. It's kind of an art that takes a long time to master. What looks awesome to you may look like shit to ducks lol. I've used singles, multis, movers, robos, and they all get the job done when used in the right conditions.

Finding someone to go with is helpful, and more fun IMO. Bonus if they have a retriever.

Ajax2744

FNG
If your going with a smaller spread then magnum and super magnum dekes are your friend. Your spread will look bigger and more appealing. A smaller spread won’t have as much of a draw so it is very important to scout and get as close to the X as possible. That being said I’ve had some killer hunts with only a dozen decoys in the right spot. I’d probably ditch the teal decoys to start. They are small and don’t add much contrast or draw to a setup.
Also don’t think because you are going after mallards you just need mallard decoys. I had hundreds of decoys and I change my setup through out season based on what birds are in the area. I’d figure out what is most prevalent in your area and get a few of those birds. But I would say if I had to recommend a beginning setup I’d say grab a half dozen magnum mallards, a half dozen super mags, and a couple goose floaters. Geese give amazing contrast and will be visable from miles away to birds and then you’ll have a chance at drawing in some honkers if you please

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Sculler...don't need dekes or dog. Just a spotting scope with a window mount. Spot and stalk. Boat, gun, binos, shells done.-WW

Biggie

FNG
Rig them up individually. A dozen decoys is plenty for NE SD. We rarely ran more than 2doz on water when I was in college up there. I'm in KS now and generally run 18-24.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Yojo, just pick up a dozen mallards to start. Rig them using 2 oz or 4 oz texas rigs, available from many different companies. Add 1 or 2 baby mojo spinners on remotes, 2 canada floaters, and 2 or 3 duck butts on a jerk string and you've got a versatile spread for Sodak potholes. It's easy to kill ducks over water in SD if you're not picky on species. Bluewing teal will be the predominant early season limit fillers, but you don't need teal decoys for them, they will bomb into mallards, divers, canadas, snows. Good waders, a gear sled like an otter or jet, good binos, On-X app, and face concealment/paint will do more to get you birds in hand than the type or brand of decoy you use. Any questions feel free to hit me up; 20 year resident of SD, & waterfowling for nearly 30 years.

KurtR

WKR
Sculler...don't need dekes or dog. Just a spotting scope with a window mount. Spot and stalk. Boat, gun, binos, shells done.-WW
Please dont do this and bust up the roost. Nothing will piss the other guys in the area off faster. Just get a dozen of the mallards a spinning wing decoy and find a nice loaf pond and you will be set. Either a texas rig or for years i used the single weights that wrap around the keel for storage. Grew up in watertown so i know that country good. Lots of public land around there to that is really good.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
Yojo, just pick up a dozen mallards to start. Rig them using 2 oz or 4 oz texas rigs, available from many different companies. Add 1 or 2 baby mojo spinners on remotes, 2 canada floaters, and 2 or 3 duck butts on a jerk string and you've got a versatile spread for Sodak potholes. It's easy to kill ducks over water in SD if you're not picky on species. Bluewing teal will be the predominant early season limit fillers, but you don't need teal decoys for them, they will bomb into mallards, divers, canadas, snows. Good waders, a gear sled like an otter or jet, good binos, On-X app, and face concealment/paint will do more to get you birds in hand than the type or brand of decoy you use. Any questions feel free to hit me up; 20 year resident of SD, & waterfowling for nearly 30 years.
Any suggestions on hunting ponds that are not by any trees or sloughs. I know i can get some permission to hunt a large pond that i always see ducks by. But there is no cover. Just open nothingness. Are greenhead gear decoys even worth buying? I was already looking at some of them plus a couple dutt decoys.

Rob5589

WKR
Any suggestions on hunting ponds that are not by any trees or sloughs. I know i can get some permission to hunt a large pond that i always see ducks by. But there is no cover. Just open nothingness. Are greenhead gear decoys even worth buying? I was already looking at some of them plus a couple dutt decoys.
I've used GHG dekes for years. They get the job done. For something like you describe, I would set up a minimal impact blind and let it set for a while so birds get used to it. I also try to not hunt the same blinds more than 2 days in a row.

I layout in a jet sled with my lab behind me.
If there is no cover, I put a shadow grass type tarp over me and my lab is 100 yards back in the shrubs.

I place my layout crosswind to the decoys, so birds working into the wind and decoys
are not looking directly at me. For example:
Decoys.JPG

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Any suggestions on hunting ponds that are not by any trees or sloughs. I know i can get some permission to hunt a large pond that i always see ducks by. But there is no cover.

Yep, just get a ghilli blanket and backrest or a layout blind. Lots of options from $65 to $365.

hodgeman

WKR
A dozen mallard dekes and a mojo and you're on your way to killing ducks.

Use a Texas rig for ease of use and you'll learn the spreads that work in your area. Simple spreads usually work as good or better as more complicated ones. I tend to use a J spread a lot.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
How important is calling when out. Or can i just try to let the decoys do the talking instead?

KurtR

WKR
Some days really some days not. Biggest thing is less is more. Watch you tube of duck calling. It will give you an idea. If they are coming a few light feeding calls maybe a whistle or two but seen more ducks scared away when some one goes full scream and the ducks just turn and leave.

How important is calling when out. Or can i just try to let the decoys do the talking instead?
I'm still on the newer side of duck hunting -- I don't do a ton of calling as I find it's more effective to give a few light quacks and feed chuckles than the loud hail calling. I think people watch youtube videos of Arkansas where 10 guys are calling full volume and it's give them the impression they need to do that. I think on highly-pressured spots too much calling can hinder you.

TheGDog

WKR
The decoys are for when you've got your calling starting to sound right. Last year I was doing fairly well on being able to call back in pairs or small groups of birds that I didn't see until the last second. And often it would end up that these called back birds... after swooping over the general area where I was sitting, would then turn and loop over to the next group of guys down from me... because they had dekes. And not like a ton either. So I'm not all that convinced it being a big number of dekes is necessarily "the thing" either.

Seems like the dekes serve as a visual cue to tie-in with the calling that went out from you to them which they heard. It's your way of saying "Yeah see! It was these happy ducks right here that called out to ya! Come on in here buddy!"

For Salton Sea, you definitely want to get anchor setups for the dekes (Texas Rigs, I was told 4oz-6oz anchor weights that dig into the sand) which won't get pulled away by occasional high-winds. You definitely want to make sure they stay where you've placed them. If they drift it can be very sketchy trying to go fetch them.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So ive been kicking around the idea of adding another expensive hobby to the list, because i dont have enough other things on my wish list right now apparently. And ive been thinking about trying duck hunting. Last time i was out was probably 12 years ago as a tag along. Was thinking about getting about a dozen decoys. I found a 6 pack of greenhead gear mallards and a 6 pack of greenhead blue wing teal. Curious what you guys think of this set up for a beginner setup. Whether these are good decoys or not. Whats a good rig system? Can i tie them all in a line and throw them out? Any suggestions. Or if any of you are in NE Sodak if youd be willing to have me come along and try to learn from you.
This will work as a pretty good starter set. Get out and look at how the birds move on the water in groups and just have fun. If you can find guys to help you cut the learning curve it will help a lot. And be prepared...this one gets expensive fast LOL

Wags

WKR
Motion kills..... If it's windless, get a jerk line or something to get motion ON THE WATER. Ducks get very flippy shy as the season goes on or depending on the weather.

Less can be more in terms of decoys. I've killed countless limits over 4 decoys.

Calling, KISS, use a whistle until you feel comfortable branching out. They are cheap and easy to learn on.

HIDE, just when you think your hidden, add more. HOLD STILL, when the birds are working or swinging, especially on windless days. Think about being 10 yards from an elk with a bow.... that still. I've seen more guys blow being on the X because they cant hide or hold still.

Brodie.jpg

Look like you have some great tips above everything I was going to add has already been said. Just get out there and have fun on your new expensive hobby!