New to ducks

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
If you are hunting small water and generally only see small groups of ducks on those bodies of water then a small decoy set is all you need. It looks unnatural if you go into those areas and throw out 6 dozen decoys. Motion is key IMO so throw out one Mojo and run a jerk rig. I kill plenty of birds in small swamps with 4 geese and maybe a dozen duck floaters with 4 feeders on a jerk rig and one spinner. The geese floaters or Magnums will draw their attention from a distance and then hitting that jerk rig to create ripples can hook them right in with no calling. Generally only hit them with greeting calls on the corners and then light feed calls or single quacks if they are facing directly at you. Later in the year less is more for calling especially volume wise. They can flair real quick if everyone in the blind starts high balling at them especially if they have been hearing that all season already

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Any suggestions on hunting ponds that are not by any trees or sloughs. I know i can get some permission to hunt a large pond that i always see ducks by. But there is no cover. Just open nothingness. Are greenhead gear decoys even worth buying? I was already looking at some of them plus a couple dutt decoys.
sounds like a perfect situation for a layout blind. But if you can't wade out to retrieve birds or you need to set up in some water, a small canoe/kayak is perfect and it's not hard to combine the 2 into a layout.

I hunt an area that can have very little natural cover more than a foot or so high. So I picked up a 12' discovery sport canoe a year ago and retro fitted my old layout blind in it. I had looked at the Cabelas Ascend H12 kayak, but my discovery is a bit lower profile. Really slick little layout , extremely mobile that lets me move from spot to spot and conceals nicely in little cover. I walk it in (loaded with all my gear on a small canoe cart.

Attachments

• canoe.jpg
    canoe.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 41
  • marsh.jpg
    marsh.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
If the ducks are using the area, you don't need decoys at all.

That 4 pack of goose decoys, 2 duck decoys and a bilge pump duck butt will draw tons of ducks. I don't even call. Set decoys 20-25 yards out - the easier it is for the birds to see em, the more likely they'll at least take a look.

Stay still and let the decoys & ripples do their job. Shoot when the ducks are close - they can put 20 yards between you and then in an instant.

You can also do very well floating creeks and jump shooting birds on foot too.

Fun stuff - enjoy.

cking13

FNG
A well trained dog is invaluable. Decoys and calling dont matter if you can be on the X. I’ve had ducks decoy to the worst looking decoys you can find. I think people put too much stake in decoys personally. Location, location, location. And be prepared to spend a shit ton of money if you catch it hard like I did.

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
Proceed with caution getting into ducks. It's like a drug once it gets its hooks into you, and its expensive. You can save a lot of money by buying used gear. I dont do Facebook but waterfowl garage sale on FB is a great place to watch.

Find where the birds want to be. Scout,scout, scout. Being concealed will kill more ducks than any call/decoy whatever. Cant stress that enough.

If your not a great caller put it down.

Like mentioned before motion kills. Jerk string is your friend

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How important is calling when out. Or can i just try to let the decoys do the talking instead?
Knowing where they want to be is more important than calling most days. When you are close to the X calling helps get them in for a better look. Like stated before many times calling isn’t the end all be all, just a part of the whole package.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
Well so far ive managed to get a dozen decoys, weights and line. A carry/storage bag. Just ordered a call and a jerk rig last night. im right around 200 bucks. Just need to find some waders. Trying to keep the entry fee down seeing as ill be hunting solo so im footing the entire bill. If i really enjoy it and can get out more than a few times a year ill invest more. If not, its easier to cut my losses. Ill practice with the call on the way to and from work. I'll start scouting a few of the public areas nearby where theres reed cover. Think ill try to stick to those spots for now. Thanks for all the input guys.

The most difficult thing is learning to identify the different species of birds on the wing, especially in low light conditions. You need to know what you are shooting at. You can look at all the pictures you want of individual birds in flight or flock patterns. The only way to learn is through experience. Go to wildlife sanctuaries or protected areas with binoculars. Observe the birds in flight and on the water. Frequency is key to learning. This also lets you know the predominant species of birds moving through at a given time which helps determine where to hunt. Different species may prefer different areas.

As far as calling, if you do your homework there little need to learn to call. Patterning the birds is a major factor in being successful. Look at google maps for potential hunting areas. Watch the weather fronts. Put a pair of binoculars in your car and put some time in driving being observant while you go about your daily business. Note the wind, weather, where the birds seek refuge in inclement weather vs. where they hang out on pleasant days. Note the location of the birds with the different wind conditions/directions. Finding the specific areas where the birds want to be makes decoying them so much easier. Finding specific areas will dramatically affect your success. By specific I mean right here. This exact spot.

I have shot plenty of birds without putting out a single decoy. If you find water where the birds are feeding or want to be, they will just keep coming in. Sit quietly. No need for decoys. On the other hand, I have had unsuccessful days with spreads consisting of hundreds of decoys. Birds have wings. Here today, gone tomorrow. Fronts blow birds in. Fronts blow birds out.

Time of the year plays a major factor as well. Early season teal are hunted differently than late season divers. Farm ponds are hunted differently than big bodies of water. You will need to learn areas of heavy hunting pressure and when that pressure is heaviest/lightest. If you are hunting large reservoirs with heavy pressure, large spreads, 100’s of decoys are preferred. Big spreads, done right, are very effective at pulling birds away from the other hunters with smaller sets. Pressure will force the birds to other areas. If you can get access to these low pressure areas, the hunters, when present in the high pressure areas, will keep moving the birds toward you.

Best advice is find guide or a knowledgable friend. Schedule half a dozen hunts or more throughout the season. You will learn a lot about rigging, sets, weather conditions, different bodies of water and where/how to target different species of ducks. The knowledge will be customized to the area you hunt. Then you will have a good idea of the equipment you need to purchase, or even if you wish to pursue the sport. You can learn more from a good duck hunter in a single season than you will trying to figure it out on your own over a period of several years. Compared to the investment required: boats, dogs, decoys… Spending time with a good guide or duck hunter is money well spent. You will quickly learn what equipment you need and how to effectively use it. Your money and time will be invested much more efficiently with the experience gained.

Hi Wags,

A very generous offer I sincerely appreciate. A completely unexpected and very welcome gesture from you. Thank you :)

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to do much hunting this year. I am new here with limited time off. Maybe sometime in the future we can get together. Whether in California where you are at or in another part of the country.

New Mexico is new to me. Usually takes me a year or so to get dialed into a new area. If I come across some opportunities that make it worth your while to drive out, waterfowl or otherwise, I will most certainly reciprocate the invitation.

Wags

WKR
Hi Wags,

A very generous offer I sincerely appreciate. A completely unexpected and very welcome gesture from you. Thank you :)

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to do much hunting this year. I am new here with limited time off. Maybe sometime in the future we can get together. Whether in California where you are at or in another part of the country.

New Mexico is new to me. Usually takes me a year or so to get dialed into a new area. If I come across some opportunities that make it worth your while to drive out, waterfowl or otherwise, I will most certainly reciprocate the invitation.

No worries, thought I'd offer if you were close. Ducks are my wheelhouse. I've been at it my whole life and am pretty obsessed with them and have a lot of experience.

If you run into anything throughout the season and have a question shoot me a PM i'd be glad to help.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
If only it were as easy as some of you guys make it. I ask friends if they would want to go hunt. They express interest until its time to make a plan.

KurtR

WKR
If only it were as easy as some of you guys make it. I ask friends if they would want to go hunt. They express interest until its time to make a plan.
Find new friends or go by your self. Just me and the dog have been some of the best hunts ever. And for the new guys don’t bust the roost.

There is a difference between interest and commitment.

If your friends are interested and happen to be available at the time of the hunt they will go. If something comes up they don’t go. Basically, if nothing else is going on your friends would like to go, maybe.

Making the decision is 90% of the game. Once the decision is made everything usually falls into place.

Commitment is key. Once your friend makes the commitment, makes the decision, you are almost there. Next is agreement from his wife. Commitment from your friend, with him obtaining approval from his wife, usually means you are going to be hunting together. At least this approach has been successful for me.

With lack of commitment from your friend or opposition from his wife, odds are very high, it is not happening.

ianpadron

WKR
You're in SD, which is more than half the battle...lots of ducks there.

I stay away from GHG because the paint sucks and they are heavy. I'm rough on my decoys, and prefer the collapsible Dakotas and the standard Avians. Birds don't give a shit, if you're on the X, you're pillow casing quackery over 2L soda bottles painted black lol.

They should be individually rigged (I like Texas rigs for marsh/shallow river hunting) aside from 3 or 4 strung together on a jerk or spreader rig to add motion on calm days. Way more effective than robotics, especially on pressured birds.

Learn how to call but only use it to turn birds, when they're committed, a few quacks is all you need to seal the deal.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
Well it was opening morning here and i managed to limit out. Went solo. 2 other groups with 2 guys in each were hunting the same pond. Set up with about 100 yards or more inbetween us. Talked with one of the pairs for a while.Still working on identifying the birds in air. Early season they all look alike to me oher than teal. But managed to bag a gadwall, pintail, 2 green wing and 4 blue wing teal. It was a great time. I was trying to focus on the teal because i know i wouldnt go over limit on them. Limited out a little over an hour after shooting light. Definitely gonna go a few more times this season at least.

Attachments

• 20210925_092712.jpg
    20210925_092712.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 46