New to hunting / San Diego

Lamb

FNG
Gday,
Brand new on the forum and will be a new hunter this year. Originally from far away where permits are not needed, trout fill the streams, and animals are everywhere. Im keen to get into huntng In/around San Diego, which I understand can be very tough, but ill be trying anyway. Does anyone have any thoughts or feedback what sort of hunting to start with and where to start? I am strongly interested in deer and pig with a rifle, but if Ill be better off starting with bird and rabbit with a shotgun then im open to advise. Im fit and am happy to walk a long way to get where i need to go. Appreciate anyone's thoughts and advice. I'll be purchasing a weapon shortly as I do more research about the best place and species to start, ideally I'd like to just spend the money one one right now and build from there.
Cheers.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Lamb - I'm from the area. First make sure to get your Hunters Ed out of the way so you can get your license/tags etc... Do you plan to bow hunt or rifle hunt? Plenty of opportunity to get into deer country, that being said the hunting is tough. Get yourself a good day pack and set of binoculars. Pigs are around in some areas, however the majority are on private land and sku to the North. Best of luck.

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
Ponyboy, thanks for the reply. I have my bow and have been at the range as much as possible. Its been a very, very long time since I shot a bow so I will be extremely limited in range this year. Hunters Ed is complete and I have a new set of binos arriving Friday.
I know the chances of taking animals here is very small, especially with a bow, but I'm willing to work hard so I'll just take what I get even if it's just time outside. Appreciate the pointers!

I decided on an area to start scouting and just started with some basic hikes to get familiar. Not sure its really deer country but I guess I'll find out. Im not super sure what deer country is around here until I see some.

cronsman

WKR
Lamb, I'm interesting in where you are originally from where trout fill the streams, animals are everywhere, and permits aren't needed?? I need to move there haha

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
New Zealand. I may have exaggerated slightly. But I also forgot no predators, do I'll call it even. Highly recommend.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome aboard, there are deer in your area but it is a hard hunting. Make sure you know how to process your kill quickly, its still hot during most season zones down there.

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
1stStg M. Thanks for the reply and advice. Appreciate it for sure!

dlafreni

FNG
Hey Lamb, I'm in SD as well and started hunting last year. Have been out for turkey and deer here. Limited experience but let me know if you need anything.

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
Dlafreni and bubblehide. Thanks for the welcome. Appreciate your advise!