New to SE idaho

Hey everyone. I'm looking at hunting somewhere in south east idaho this fall. Is there any units I should avoid? Any advice would be great. Also if you just want to drop your honey hole for me that would be great.

OP
JustAnotherTurboLS
Yeah my wife and I moved here last fall. We have been out a few times and haven't seen much in the way of deer or elk but then again we haven't put in a whole lot of effort in a single unit. Just trying to narrow it down right now.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Just find terrain that let's you hunt the way you like to hunt and go for it. I hunted a few units in Idaho that were "overrun run with wolves, people everywhere", still got into elk, and this was hunting in my 4 dr sedan. If I had 4wd at the time, getting into em would be no issue.

Cool thing about Idaho is it has habitat where you can hunt elk and deer at the same time productively pretty much everywhere.

OP
JustAnotherTurboLS
Just find terrain that let's you hunt the way you like to hunt and go for it. I hunted a few units in Idaho that were "overrun run with wolves, people everywhere", still got into elk, and this was hunting in my 4 dr sedan. If I had 4wd at the time, getting into em would be no issue.

Cool thing about Idaho is it has habitat where you can hunt elk and deer at the same time productively pretty much everywhere.
Thats where I'm at right now.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Pick a spot, and learn it. Don't bounce all over the place. The successful hunters know their areas intimately.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone. I'm looking at hunting somewhere in south east idaho this fall. Is there any units I should avoid? Any advice would be great. Also if you just want to drop your honey hole for me that would be great.
Archery or rifle? bull or cow?

Hopefully you put in for some draw tags. Application period closed a few days ago.

IF i were you i'd start with harvest statistics posted by IDFG by unit and figure out where hunters are taking the animals your looking for. then in that unit find the most obsolete part of the unit and prepare to hike 5 miles minimum. Deer and elk are down in numbers and are away from pressure. Any place you find them for general season tags you wont find them when the hunt opens. This is why archery and draw tags are so popular.

Pick a spot, and learn it. Don't bounce all over the place. The successful hunters know their areas intimately.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Exactly! As a SE Idaho resident I can promise you if you pick any area in a 2 hour radius of your house and learn that area well you will be successful. Eventually you’ll be able to find and harvest great animals as well. There isn’t a unit that won’t produce of you learn it so just be confident and get out there! When I first moved here three years ago I jumped around a lot and ended up picking an area a ways a way because of more animals. Since then I’ve learned areas 30 minutes from the he house with less animals and I wish I would have focused more on those closer areas with less animals just because of how intimately I could have learned them and the more time I would have been able to spent hunting.