New to spotting scopes

DaveT1963

FNG
Wanting to get either a 15x56 binocular or a 88 spotting scope. Most of my glassing is for whitetails anywhere from 100 yards to 1/2 mile..... in some cases up to a mile. IVe never used a spotting scope so been reading a ton of reviews. I'm particularly concerned with low light glassing and being able to clearly see them .

Would love some advice. I'm looking at either meopta or maven 15x56 binoculars or the kowa 88mm spotter

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Binos for looking FOR something….

Spotter for looking AT something….

If you’re thinking about glassing to find game with a Spotting scope, I think you are in for a lot of frustration. Depends on what your purpose for the glass is. I think 90% of people rarely, maybe never actually need a spotting scope.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

OP
D

DaveT1963

FNG
Binos for looking FOR something….

Spotter for looking AT something….

If you’re thinking about glassing to find game with a Spotting scope, I think you are in for a lot of frustration. Depends on what your purpose for the glass is. I think 90% of people rarely, maybe never actually need a spotting scope.
I HAVE VORTEX 10X50S FOR MY FINDING deer... just wanting something that can pick out more details at longer ranges and not compromise in lowlight.

I HAVE VORTEX 10X50S FOR MY FINDING deer... just wanting something that can pick out more details at longer ranges and not compromise in lowlight.
You should be able to tell whether a deer is a shooter at your distances specified with quality 10x binos.

Upgrade your 10x binos and put them on a tripod.

Leica Trinovid 10x42 HD $999 CameralandNY
Really Right Stuff Cinch Elite $125
Really Right Stuff PT Scout SC-ARC $365
Quality Carbon tripod $500 CameralandNY
Throw your Vortex in the trash can.

Then if you want a spotting scope later on, you already have the tripod setup.

packer58

WKR
I'm a huge fan of the Meopta 15's, they will give you enough detail at the distances your talking about to know weather or not he's worth getting closer to. Spotters get old real fast scanning at distance with one eye closed IMO.

JCamp805

FNG
I’m in the same boat. 10x50 Binos but considering scope for further distances out here in California

kota

FNG
I think it depends on what you want to do, but generally really good 10x on a tripod can handle glassing out past a half mile with ease. I would start there since at a couple hundred yards the field of view on 15s or a spotter is going to be really small.

If you need more oomph than that, I would go with 15s. You will be able to pick up a lot more than you think by looking through both eyes, and it’s really hard to actually glass with a spotter since you are looking with just 1 eye. About the only use for a spotter would be to judge bucks in detail or to pick apart the thick stuff at the upper end of your distance and beyond looking for bedded bucks. Getting an optical doubler for your binos may be worthwhile for that too.

My experience was that about a mile was the tipping point where I needed to put the 15s away and grab the spotter to locate deer.