New Trucks....

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Have a 2024 tundra company vehicle. Yesterday warning lights started going off check engine lights etc. Couldn't upshift or downshift. Long story short nothing mechanically wrong with the vehicle just a transmission sensor. Its under warranty thankfully but if it wasn't it wouldve been a $4K bill. I wish they'd start making vehicles without a sensor on every tiny ass thing. I couldve been stranded in the middle of nowhere with a perfectly fine vehicle. pointless rant but just another thing to shake my head at.

Mcfish

FNG
I'm in the auto field. You would not believe how much cheaper trucks would be without government regs. That sensor probably helps shift at optimum revs so that it's as fuel efficient as it can possibly be.

We want to build rock solid trucks without miles of wires and hundreds of sensors, but fuel efficiency standards and safety standards make that impossible.

Uh oh, talking bad about a Toyota on this website might be worse than starting a political thread!

I finally gave in a we bought a Tahoe last year. I wanted to avoid all the pointless sensors that I don’t need. This winter a part that relays blind spot sensors went bad. It shut down the whole vehicle’s electronics. Couldn’t even shut it off without disconnecting the battery. Then I had to pay $2K to replace the left sensor hoping that’s the issue because the right sensor feeds through the left sensor and there’s no telling which one is bad, so we just guess and if we replace the left sensor and that’s not the issue, then need to pay another $1K to replace the right too. So incredibly stupid. I don’t remember which brand it was that recently put out a commercial and in it had the main screen of the vehicle with a “updating software” banner. Maybe I’m old and crazy, but nothing has scared me away from buying a vehicle more than seeing it requires software updates in order to function…..

CorbLand

WKR
My wife came in one day and said that her car was steering funny. We drove it for a month or so more and it got worse and worse. You would turn and it wouldn't turn then all of sudden it would. Called the dealership and took it in. An 90 cent part in the steering column went bad. ~2200 to fix it and the reason it was only ~2200 was because its cheaper to replace the entire column than it is to replace the part. Glad that was under warranty.

OP
SandyCreek

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Uh oh, talking bad about a Toyota on this website might be worse than starting a political thread!

I finally gave in a we bought a Tahoe last year. I wanted to avoid all the pointless sensors that I don’t need. This winter a part that relays blind spot sensors went bad. It shut down the whole vehicle’s electronics. Couldn’t even shut it off without disconnecting the battery. Then I had to pay $2K to replace the left sensor hoping that’s the issue because the right sensor feeds through the left sensor and there’s no telling which one is bad, so we just guess and if we replace the left sensor and that’s not the issue, then need to pay another $1K to replace the right too. So incredibly stupid. I don’t remember which brand it was that recently put out a commercial and in it had the main screen of the vehicle with a “updating software” banner. Maybe I’m old and crazy, but nothing has scared me away from buying a vehicle more than seeing it requires software updates in order to function…..
thats fine. Theres nothing i like about the truck other than I'm fortunate to have a company ride and the companys dime spared me from ever buying a toyota

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I see similar issues at work all the time. We as a country have lost sight of what a car/truck is supposed to do. All these gadgets/blind spot monitors/auto braking/adaptive cruise control is unnecessary, unreliable, and expensive to repair.

I’ll keep driving my 2011 with 550,000 miles rather than buy a new one.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the auto field. You would not believe how much cheaper trucks would be without government regs. That sensor probably helps shift at optimum revs so that it's as fuel efficient as it can possibly be.

We want to build rock solid trucks without miles of wires and hundreds of sensors, but fuel efficiency standards and safety standards make that impossible.
Ugh. I believe this unfortunately.

jayhawk

WKR
Eventually the standard will be to just lease vehicles. No one will be buying them because the cost of repairs is too high. In leasing, if there’s a big repair, you just get a new car or the leasing company pays for it.

Heck most dealerships won’t even take cash offers anymore, and they darn sure won’t give you a deal for one.

It’ll be like a subscription plan, unfortunately.

Mcfish

FNG
I see similar issues at work all the time. We as a country have lost sight of what a car/truck is supposed to do. All these gadgets/blind spot monitors/auto braking/adaptive cruise control is unnecessary, unreliable, and expensive to repair.

Some of those gadgets make it so we can drive distracted looking at our phones. Instead of enforcing laws we bubble wrap the idiots in sensors.

Loo.wii

WKR

cheaper but not necessarily more reliable. though i do hope at some point we can get things like this. this would be the last truck i would ever buy https://www.roadandtrack.com/review...kup-truck-is-basic-transportation-perfection/

CorbLand

WKR
Eventually the standard will be to just lease vehicles. No one will be buying them because the cost of repairs is too high. In leasing, if there’s a big repair, you just get a new car or the leasing company pays for it.

Heck most dealerships won’t even take cash offers anymore, and they darn sure won’t give you a deal for one.

I am waiting for insurance to start charging/covering repairs. With the way its going, your not going to have much of a choice.

ODB

WKR

It’s more than just autos and software (as a rare individual who ponies up $600/yr for Adobe) that are following this model. Blackrock is investing heavily in multi-family homes. Renting/leasing sounds great, but at some point ROI comes into play and prices outpace what you would have laid buying.

Yoder

WKR
What is really a scam is the cost of the electronics. There is no chip shortage, and most of the chips are cheap to make. The factory I work in is almost empty. Thank God we are giving the manufacturers our tax money to build factories we don't even need.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
2019 f150 company pickup with the 10 speed started shifting awful last fall. Took it in and the dealer didn't even diagnose it just put a new tranny in to the tune of $7500. Spoke to the dealer in disbelief and they showed me the tsbs. These new vehicles are so complicated it was cheaper and money a head to replace vs tear down/diagnose/repair. Also said it wasn't uncommon for them to get new trannies out of the box that were junk from ford so I shouldn't hold my breath on the new one they were putting in. Thankfully it was all on the company dime but Ill personally never own one of these newer pickups.

My wife came in one day and said that her car was steering funny. We drove it for a month or so more and it got worse and worse. You would turn and it wouldn't turn then all of sudden it would. Called the dealership and took it in. An 90 cent part in the steering column went bad. ~2200 to fix it and the reason it was only ~2200 was because its cheaper to replace the entire column than it is to replace the part. Glad that was under warranty.
Had same issue with 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. Fortunately it was under warranty and they indeed repalced the column.

I have a '19 RAM that has been great so far, but my '94 F250 extended cab 460 is the workhorse of the family.

4th Gen RAM Ecodiesels are know to have pinion gear go out of the tranny around 115k miles. The part is around $30, but to install is about $3k at the dealer. If it goes out while you're on the road, you're stranded until help arrives and you can tow to a dealer to fix it.

Maxhunter

WKR
I just got a recall notice on my 2023 Tundra for the exact same thing you mentioned. I took in today and they did update.