New Ultralight Rifle Build ideas

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Everyone,

I know theres about 1,000 Ultralight rifle build threads out there and i've read through many of them but I thought I'd try to get some peoples direct opinions on what to do. I am looking to build an ultralight rifle for mountain hunting this year and i've got a few ideas, and would like peoples opinions on them. This is just for the base rifle, not scope or rings. All pricing is based on current sales going on.

First build option:

CA Mesa FFT .308 $1050 on sale at Euro-Optic
Base weight is 5.5 lbs
Swap the stock for a stockys stock for about $550 +8Oz
Looking at about $1800 after FFL, taxes and fees
My reservation with CA is all the horror stories of their QC and CS. I have a CA MPR in 300PRC and love that thing but maybe I got lucky with it
Pros: Cheap, good deals going right now. Lightest build option that fits budget. Can sell FFT stock to make some money back
Cons: CA QC and CS, may have to deal with more problems down the line

Savage 110 Ultralite .308 $1550 most places
Base Weight is 6lbs
Would like to swap the stock but no idea what the weight change would be
Pros: Proof barrel, reliable, not too many bad stories on it
Cons: Heavier, longer barrel (Pro or con depending on how you see it), cheap stock, not a lot of customizability, mid tier trigger

Seekings Havak PH .308 $1850
Base Weight is 6.9lbs
Considering chopping barrel from 24" to 20" and swapping rail for talley rings to cut weight but don't know how much that would actually decrease the weight. Plus thats an added cost.
Pros: Obviously a top tier rifle and top tier company with QC and CS. Has the look I like. Ready to go out the box.
Cons: A lot heavier than the other options. Most expensive option. Availability is mixed.

Let me know your thoughts and go ez on me lol. Also, not interested in a Tikka at this time.

Article 4

WKR
Hi Everyone,

I know theres about 1,000 Ultralight rifle build threads out there and i've read through many of them but I thought I'd try to get some peoples direct opinions on what to do. I am looking to build an ultralight rifle for mountain hunting this year and i've got a few ideas, and would like peoples opinions on them. This is just for the base rifle, not scope or rings. All pricing is based on current sales going on.

First build option:

CA Mesa FFT .308 $1050 on sale at Euro-Optic
Base weight is 5.5 lbs
Swap the stock for a stockys stock for about $550 +8Oz
Looking at about $1800 after FFL, taxes and fees
My reservation with CA is all the horror stories of their QC and CS. I have a CA MPR in 300PRC and love that thing but maybe I got lucky with it
Pros: Cheap, good deals going right now. Lightest build option that fits budget. Can sell FFT stock to make some money back
Cons: CA QC and CS, may have to deal with more problems down the line

Savage 110 Ultralite .308 $1550 most places
Base Weight is 6lbs
Would like to swap the stock but no idea what the weight change would be
Pros: Proof barrel, reliable, not too many bad stories on it
Cons: Heavier, longer barrel (Pro or con depending on how you see it), cheap stock, not a lot of customizability, mid tier trigger

Seekings Havak PH .308 $1850
Base Weight is 6.9lbs
Considering chopping barrel from 24" to 20" and swapping rail for talley rings to cut weight but don't know how much that would actually decrease the weight. Plus thats an added cost.
Pros: Obviously a top tier rifle and top tier company with QC and CS. Has the look I like. Ready to go out the box.
Cons: A lot heavier than the other options. Most expensive option. Availability is mixed.

Let me know your thoughts and go ez on me lol. Also, not interested in a Tikka at this time.
Some good starts there. Guess my first question is as good as the tried and true 308 is, there are a ton of other choices for mountain hunting that will perform a lot better without adding weight....unless the brands you are looking at only offer a few calibers which tends to be the case.

Not sure what your budget it but here are a few others

Weatherby Backcountry Ti -
Springfield Mod 2020
Kimber Ascent

IMO if you want to run a more modern caliber, go with the Weatherby...may not need to change much from stock

idahodave

WKR
Get a Mesa FFT and roll the dice it's accurate. No need to swap the stock. The FFT is a perfectly functional stock as-is.

An even easier choice is to pick up a Tikka Superlite from Sportsmans for even less money. Chances are it will shoot better than the CA and has some other benefits.

At this point in my life there are three logical choices in a truly LW rifle....Tikka SL, Seekins Element if money isn't a concern, or a full-blown custom if you're looking to get creative.

I'm a Seekins fan myself, but the value of a Tikka SL can't be overstated...especially if you're looking at a .308.

Dave

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Browning Mountain Titanium if you can find one. For a really affordable option, the Kimber 84M (or L) is tough to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Get a Mesa FFT and roll the dice it's accurate. No need to swap the stock. The FFT is a perfectly functional stock as-is.

An even easier choice is to pick up a Tikka Superlite from Sportsmans for even less money. Chances are it will shoot better than the CA and has some other benefits.

At this point in my life there are three logical choices in a truly LW rifle....Tikka SL, Seekins Element if money isn't a concern, or a full-blown custom if you're looking to get creative.

I'm a Seekins fan myself, but the value of a Tikka SL can't be overstated...especially if you're looking at a .308.

Dave
I don't know, the Tikka SL doesn't fit the bill for what I am looking for aside from good price. Based on the website, Its 6.4lbs and has a non threaded barrel. I could potentially swap the barrel and stock down the light but that going to end up costing more in the long run.

Only reason I would swap the stock on the FFT is because I find the vertical grip stocks more comfortable. Seekins element would be nice but its outside my current budget unfortunately.

rogerthat

FNG
Any reason the howa superlite doesn’t get mentioned? Get it in 308 and go hunting. 4.5 lb base weight

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Some good starts there. Guess my first question is as good as the tried and true 308 is, there are a ton of other choices for mountain hunting that will perform a lot better without adding weight....unless the brands you are looking at only offer a few calibers which tends to be the case.

Not sure what your budget it but here are a few others

Weatherby Backcountry Ti -
Springfield Mod 2020
Kimber Ascent

IMO if you want to run a more modern caliber, go with the Weatherby...may not need to change much from stock
Unfortunately the Weatherby is way out of my price range and the Springfield 2020 is still above my price range for the weight it comes in at. The kimber ascent was an option but I haven't found many in stock aside from gunbroker where they are marked up $300-$400.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Any reason the howa superlite doesn’t get mentioned? Get it in 308 and go hunting. 4.5 lb base weight
Not a bad option just not much of a Howa fan. Its base weight is nice but at $1300 I feel like I could get something nicer

Not a bad option just not much of a Howa fan. Its base weight is nice but at $1300 I feel like I could get something nicer
You’re considering a dolled up Savage but not a Howa because it’s not nice enough? My experience with Howas has been great, there are all kinds of trigger and stock upgrades for them, and mine have shot great out of the box.

satchamo

WKR
I would not buy anything from CA. I have a mesa that shoots like absolute dog shit and is essentially a paperweight.

Buy a tikka, rebarrel it and put it in your stock of choice and it will shoot. Or buy a roughtech and don’t worry so much about your weight.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Roll the dice on the FFT or step up to the Seekins PH2. I have a FFT and like the stock and have had decent luck with it shooting Moa or better and no issues so far. I wouldn’t drop the FFT in a new stock unless you don’t like the ergos or want a true vertical grip. PH2 is the safest option to be a shooter but is noticeably heavier. Pick your poison.

idahodave

WKR
I don't know, the Tikka SL doesn't fit the bill for what I am looking for aside from good price. Based on the website, Its 6.4lbs and has a non threaded barrel. I could potentially swap the barrel and stock down the light but that going to end up costing more in the long run.

Only reason I would swap the stock on the FFT is because I find the vertical grip stocks more comfortable. Seekins element would be nice but it’s outside my current budget unfortunately.

1. A 22” Superlite will run 6.1-6.2 pounds. I’ll predict 6 pounds, 2 ounces based on previous experience.
2. A Seekins PH2 even cut to 20 will weigh more that that by a goodly margin.
3. You didn’t mention the need for threaded barrel in OP.
4. Tikkas have interchangeable, factory “grip” replacements oriented for a more vertical grip if that’s what you seek.

No offense intended, but you’re kind of all over the map. Start with your price range and then add the features in descending order of what’s most important and it’ll be easier to dial down to what you want.

I had two Christensens, both in 300wm, and they both shot really well, no complaints. I am way more happy with my 300wsm custom I had built off a Defiance AnTi with a Manners and a 22" Proof, its just under 8lbs ready to hunt with a can on it. I had a Tikka in 300wsm cut to 20" and added a Stockys CF stock, and it weighs almost exactly the same as my Defiance with a can too.

Like I said above, the Howa is probably the best option, they are a way underrated platform. I'd get the least expensive Super Lite like this Howa on GB and then this Stockys since you said you're after a VG. Its too bad the barrel is so long on this CF Howa, but as you can see Brownells has several barreled action options which if any of them fit what you're after it saves you a ton toward the stock you really want.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had two Christensens, both in 300wm, and they both shot really well, no complaints. I am way more happy with my 300wsm custom I had built off a Defiance AnTi with a Manners and a 22" Proof, its just under 8lbs ready to hunt with a can on it. I had a Tikka in 300wsm cut to 20" and added a Stockys CF stock, and it weighs almost exactly the same as my Defiance with a can too.

Like I said above, the Howa is probably the best option, they are a way underrated platform. I'd get the least expensive Super Lite like this Howa on GB and then this Stockys since you said you're after a VG. Its too bad the barrel is so long on this CF Howa, but as you can see Brownells has several barreled action options which if any of them fit what you're after it saves you a ton toward the stock you really want.
I think the super light are a different action. @Stockys are you doing inlet for the super light?

You can get a Tikka Stainless Superlite (the model from Sportsmans Warehouse) down to less than 5lbs if you are willing to tinker a bit... cut the barrel down to 16 or 18 inches, have it threaded 1/2x28 then add a 5/8x24 adapter. Have the bolt aggressively fluted, and add a ti bolt knob. Buy a Stockys VG Carbon with one of the discount codes in the Stockys thread, then cut a few ounces getting rid of the recoil pad in favor of a diy option (PM me if you need ideas). Then add a couple titanium parts like action screws, recoil lug, and trigger bolt.
With the right ammo or load recipe, a 16 or 18 inch barrel will do everything you need, and more. If you are stuck on the 308win... check out the hornady superformance 168eldm ammo. Or, do this in a 6.5CM, 223rem, or if you reload you can get the 243win 8 twist tikka.

$869 rifle
$160 cut/thread
$380 Stockys
$90 ti bolt knob
$50 bolt fluting
$25 ti trigger screw
$40 ti recoil lug
$30 thread adapter

Less than $1700 all in...

Or, the really budget option is to get a kimber Hunter ($800-850) have it cut and threaded to 16/18 inches, then make some diy modifications to the stock (remove the 8oz of gel, ditch the factory recoil pad for a diy foam version, make some sort of vertical grip and cheek riser mod, cut down the forend a bit, etc... lots of examples of this elsewhere on RS). If you are lucky, you might find someone with a mountain ascent you can swap bolts with to get the lighter fluted bolt... or possibly find a smith to flute it for you. But even without the bolt fluted you will still be well under 5lbs bare rifle.

Ive had a savage ultralight... even put it in a nice ultralight chassis... still wasn't a fan. The trigger is unreliable in my experience, and it doesn't take a lot for it to lock up... which will ruin your day pretty quick. I've also had a couple christensen ridgelines, including their titanium versions... and while they were ok, they just weren't worth the extra money when my tikkas and modified kimbers are more accurate for less. Seekins on the other hand... the havak element I have is a great rifle. My only complaint is they are a unique action and can't go in a Rem700 chassis. The pH2 is a rem700 clone though, so there is more aftermarket support. My brother has one in a krg bravo stock for example... however, they are not ultralight by any means... at least 6.5lbs. Which puts it in the same weight category as the Waypoint 2020 and the Sig Cross... both of which are also good "lightweight" options ... just not "ultralight". However, you could go the sig cross route... and try swapping the heavy folder stock for an ultralight option, swap the forend for something lighter... definitely some DIY options there, and that could get a Sig Cross down into the low 5lb range. You could even consider a straight pull AR308... might end up out of your budget, but a 5lb build isn't out of the question. Or, as has been shown in other threads... a 3lb straight pull AR15 is also doable... and in your budget.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a Tikka Stainless Superlite (the model from Sportsmans Warehouse) down to less than 5lbs if you are willing to tinker a bit... cut the barrel down to 16 or 18 inches, have it threaded 1/2x28 then add a 5/8x24 adapter. Have the bolt aggressively fluted, and add a ti bolt knob. Buy a Stockys VG Carbon with one of the discount codes in the Stockys thread, then cut a few ounces getting rid of the recoil pad in favor of a diy option (PM me if you need ideas). Then add a couple titanium parts like action screws, recoil lug, and trigger bolt.
With the right ammo or load recipe, a 16 or 18 inch barrel will do everything you need, and more. If you are stuck on the 308win... check out the hornady superformance 168eldm ammo. Or, do this in a 6.5CM, 223rem, or if you reload you can get the 243win 8 twist tikka.

$869 rifle
$160 cut/thread
$380 Stockys
$90 ti bolt knob
$50 bolt fluting
$25 ti trigger screw
$40 ti recoil lug
$30 thread adapter

Less than $1700 all in...

Or, the really budget option is to get a kimber Hunter ($800-850) have it cut and threaded to 16/18 inches, then make some diy modifications to the stock (remove the 8oz of gel, ditch the factory recoil pad for a diy foam version, make some sort of vertical grip and cheek riser mod, cut down the forend a bit, etc... lots of examples of this elsewhere on RS). If you are lucky, you might find someone with a mountain ascent you can swap bolts with to get the lighter fluted bolt... or possibly find a smith to flute it for you. But even without the bolt fluted you will still be well under 5lbs bare rifle.

Ive had a savage ultralight... even put it in a nice ultralight chassis... still wasn't a fan. The trigger is unreliable in my experience, and it doesn't take a lot for it to lock up... which will ruin your day pretty quick. I've also had a couple christensen ridgelines, including their titanium versions... and while they were ok, they just weren't worth the extra money when my tikkas and modified kimbers are more accurate for less. Seekins on the other hand... the havak element I have is a great rifle. My only complaint is they are a unique action and can't go in a Rem700 chassis. The pH2 is a rem700 clone though, so there is more aftermarket support. My brother has one in a krg bravo stock for example... however, they are not ultralight by any means... at least 6.5lbs. Which puts it in the same weight category as the Waypoint 2020 and the Sig Cross... both of which are also good "lightweight" options ... just not "ultralight". However, you could go the sig cross route... and try swapping the heavy folder stock for an ultralight option, swap the forend for something lighter... definitely some DIY options there, and that could get a Sig Cross down into the low 5lb range. You could even consider a straight pull AR308... might end up out of your budget, but a 5lb build isn't out of the question. Or, as has been shown in other threads... a 3lb straight pull AR15 is also doable... and in your budget.

Lot of good ideas. I have been leaning towards the Seekins Havak Element since it meets all my requirements aside from budget. Ill likely just save up some extra cash and go for that rifle.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
As far as caliber goes I am likely sticking with the .308, and im gonna run the hornady outfitter with the 165gr cx since im restricted to copper bullets. If those rounds aren't performing i may try loading some barnes lrx 175gr or some ttsx 165gr or 168gr.