New vs. Used Packs

peterk123

WKR
What breaks down in used hunting/hauling backpacks? If you had the choice of buying new or saving a 150 bucks or so on used pack, what make you decide against the used pack? Warranty? Wear on the waste belt? Wear on the other parts?

Assume you plan to have the pack for life, or life of the pack, do you just go new?

Thanks

Pete

Voyageur

WKR
I'm really really picky on anything used. If it's not a minimum of 50% off new price I don't even consider it...and then only if it's in mint, like new condition.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Depends on the brand. I'd buy used Kifaru or Mystery Ranch, cuz their stuff is pretty bombproof. Ultralight stuff I'd just want to see pics. But as far as hunting packs go, I'd second neverquit, people sell them from lack of use. I'm selling a Kifaru setup right now, not at all because it's breaking down, simply because I had to move to Alabama for work, and my hunting pack just sits in my closet, and my backpacking pack will do the job the few times I actually get to go out west to hunt.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I figure my pack should last me 10 plus years so why not make the new investment once. I saved for a couple years wasn’t super hard to put a 10 or 20 away every pay check that’s me though I have a decent job and a empty nest. I can say one thing for sure wish I had bout a higher end pack a decade before I did. Especially when I bought new bows every 2 to 3 years could held onto one for 4 instead.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I agree most of those used packs aren’t close to wore out when sold. No issues at all buying used if you get a descent one in the big brands. The brand new ones sure are nice though.

prm

WKR
The padding in the waist belt can get a bit broke down. Possible wear and tear on the bag, maybe some stains. Honestly, I can say that any Kifaru you run across will function perfectly. It would take a LOT of use to alter functionality. I just picked up a used (though still essentially new) Arc’teryx Bora 80 for $185. That’s a lot of pack for the $.

If it's a Kifaru pack, I will just buy a new one.
Asking prices are too high.

If a pack has a retail price of $300, and one is listed for $250 I'll just buy a new one.

Despite what sellers may think.....some buyers (me) don't mind waiting.

For example, an AMR would need to be $200 used for me to buy a used one.
Otherwise I'm just going to contact the mother ship and buy new.

I use the AMR as an example. They were just removed from the website last week.

It’s hard to find good values on quality, used packs. It seems like the main brands (Kifaru, Exo, SG, and MR) are always asking just 20-25% below retail. To me, it’s just not worth the risk and loss of warranty that comes with buying used if I’m saving 40-50%.

You can get 25% off Mystery Ranch packs at least twice a year on BlackOvis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warmsy

WKR
I bought a used kuiu pack that was owned by 2 other hunters before me. It's seen quite a bit of use since I bought it, and there are no issues.

If it’s just $150 bucks or so, I’m buying new and getting exactly what I want with the CS and warranty that goes with it.

It’s hard to find good values on quality, used packs. It seems like the main brands (Kifaru, Exo, SG, and MR) are always asking just 20-25% below retail. To me, it’s just not worth the risk and loss of warranty that comes with buying used if I’m saving 40-50%.

I bought a DT1 bag last year. Looked great in the pic. But I didn’t look close enough. The snow collar was removed. So if a guy buys used, be sure to ask a lot of questions. When you buy used, it’s as is and a no return policy.

Hoghead

WKR
I have bought a frame 2 bags and other equipment off of this site. Some of it was a good deal and some was close to retail. I ask a lot of questions and know what I'm getting into. If you do that you should be fine. I bought a used frame for 50 off of retail. When I got it I couldn't tell that it was used at all. I have dealt with a few different members my short time on this forum and they have all been straight forward and good to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TimothyJ

FNG
I would also want to save more than $150 or so if I was buying a used pack. For that amount of money I would rather just have a new pack.

Mt Al

WKR
Not much new to add other than if you buy used and it's a good enough deal (agree with needing a steep discount to make it worth it), to make it look new:
-Take everything apart, foam out of accessible pockets, bag off the frame, shoulder pads out.
-Get a heavy plastic bristle brush and some mild detergent and fill your tub (cue: "Detergent will kill yer pack! Coatings going to peel off like a orange!! Hasn't happened to me ever)
-turn what you can inside out - lid, bag
-scrub everything down, turn the bag and lid right side out, scrub some more
-lumbar pad foam, etc, squeeze, twist, etc.
-drain the tub, fill again, rinse, then rinse again.
-dry thoroughly, especially foam

Done that a few times with really old packs. Blood stains stay on some materials, but everything else looks and smells new.