External frame vs internal frame packs?

What is everyone’s opinion on external vs internal packs for out west hunting and also big timber whitetail hunting? is it worth the extra $ for an external or will internal be just fine.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Get an Exo and you'll never want a different pack. I use mine for backpacking mule deer and elk and then toss my treestand on it when I hunt whitetails. I have had all manner of external frame and cheaper internal frame packs and each packout sucked. With the Exo its almost enjoyable.

External frame packs typically handle heavy loads better and are often modular (bag can be separated from frame), which makes them more versatile. That said, you can get by with an internal frame pack. I backpack hunted out of an Osprey Argon for several years before upgrading to a Mystery Ranch then a Kifaru. I hauled many 60-ish pound loads of gear and a few heavier loads of elk meat in that Osprey pack; it wasn't ideal but it worked.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Meat cools better on a meat shelf vs inside an internal frame pack. I’ve used both styles in Kifaru, SG and MR…I prefer the flexibility of the external frame in almost all hunting circumstances…

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I've run an F1 mainframe with the sniper weapon case and an F65 little big top topped with a phanny top pack for close to 10 years now hauled that setup all over the world and once out of the service all over the western United states carried a lot of meat and gear and never been upset with performance or comfort been a stellar setup.