New VX-6! and is it mounted too low??

Howdy all - just picked up a new VX-6 with the zero-lock feature. I have a custom CDS dial being made for it as well - pretty stoked!

Question - is the mount too low? I have about 2 paper widths worth of clearance to the base, but it isn't touching - which seems like it would be ok, but I don't know if there is any amount of micro flexing with the scope barrel during recoil... maybe this is a dumb question and I'm just borrowing trouble idk :)

20161121_103419_zpsfasd3zag.jpg
[/URL]
20161121_103432_zpsrxhpefry.jpg
[/URL]
20161121_104115_zpsqkubvalm.jpg
[/URL]

I doubt its an issue. Why not move the scope forward in the rings slightly? Like a 1/8 to 1/4" The vx6 has tons of eye relief and I doubt you will notice.

OP
rileybassman
I doubt its an issue. Why not move the scope forward in the rings slightly? Like a 1/8 to 1/4" The vx6 has tons of eye relief and I doubt you will notice.

You were 100% right - almost prefer the eye relief to be honest...
20161121_112212_zpsn4wubgwb.jpg
[/URL]
20161121_112236_zpsfozmj8rz.jpg
[/URL]
This is my first high end scope, and I'm not used to such high eye relief :)

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
I am pretty sure you have the mounts on backwards. The one with windage screws should be on the rear action area. Switch those around and you'll have much better clearance

OP
rileybassman
I am pretty sure you have the mounts on backwards. The one with windage screws should be on the rear action area. Switch those around and you'll have much better clearance

Doesn't work on savages very well... I have tried. That's how I have my Model 70, but it is almost impossible to top feed the savages with the mounts on the other way... It annoyed me at first too, but I have 2 other savages the same way and no ill effects so far :)

Edit to add:

Here are two of my savages with a model 70 on bottom - there was just no room for the bolt to close with the screw bases in back - and if I flipped it around, it protruded into the feeding well... not sure if that makes sense or not...

Ideally, down the road, I want to get some tally's for the savages.

20161121_114831_zpsmjoef4b8.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Is the zero lock a feature that returns the turret to zero? Do they make an MOA dial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rileybassman
Is the zero lock a feature that returns the turret to zero? Do they make an MOA dial?

Yes, and it when it is on zero, it locks in place and you have to press the button in order to adjust - this was the only way i wanted a dialing scope for hunting, so it wont move on me. The only downside (to some) is you only get one rotation from factory. They do have a two rotation lock that you can have installed from Leupold. One rotation gets me 19 MOA - which will get me out to 750 with a 100 yard zero - which is plenty for me for hunting.

Edit to add, i have a custom Zero Lock dial coming in yhe next few weeks - pretty nifty set up.
3e009b0633796b00c66bc21e15f7abee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
rileybassman
I would use dual dovetails with an extension ring on front
Thanks for the tip - i may look into different options in the future, but for now am happy with it after sliding scope forward a half inch :)

rbljack

WKR
Yeah I think your set with the clearance you have. I have an old savage where there is minimal clearance as well. Never been a problem. In fact, I believe keeping it mounted close to the barrel is actually better from an optical/geometrical standpoint.

I didn't know they made a locking dial set up for the scopes. That was something I never understood before. All these adjustable windage scopes, and I always wondered if they get messed up, off the initial settings as they are slinged and carried on a hunt. I know it would be something I wouldn't want to mess with if I jumped a mule deer and had to shoulder the rifle in a hurry. We don't carry with cambered rounds, so that is enough to have to do before shooting...LOL. I wouldn't want to also verify my adjustment dials were in the right spot too....LOL

joemulkey

FNG
Rbljack I just got one of the vx-6 as well and the zero stop is awesome but I've ran a mark 4 for several years with no zero lock and once in a while I'll look down and it's off zero but never far enough to have a issue hitting a animal inside say 100 yards so it's really not a issue. The most it's ever moved was like 1 Moa.

mcseal2

WKR
Looks like your set now with moving it forward. I'm way more of a function then appearance guy on a hunting gun, I'd have used a belt sander and black marker if necessary to make it work!

OP
rileybassman
Thanks all! Yea it is gtg now... all sighted in and awaiting custom dials 😊

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
Nice to see more 2-12 VX6 shooters. Loved mine so much, I bought a second. Both are sitting on top of Savage rifles. One mighty fine setup there.

OP
rileybassman
Nice to see more 2-12 VX6 shooters. Loved mine so much, I bought a second. Both are sitting on top of Savage rifles. One mighty fine setup there.
Thanks been an awesome setup! Tracking has been right on. Reticle is a little thick for paper, but seems like it will be good for game. You have a custom cds?