New Weatherby Mark V Live Wild

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I saw this relatively new Weatherby being advertised. Available in several calibers, the 280 AI weighs 5.8 lbs with a price of $1,649. If I didn't already have a lightweight 280 AI, I'd jump on this.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of options with 20 different cartridges offered. Sportsmen’s Warehouse will eventually have the Live Wild probably a few hundred dollars cheaper vs ordering one. I like Weatherbys products but never understood why they have to team up with a TV hunter on some of their products.

TxLite

WKR
Advertise as suppressor ready? Check.

Make the barrel 26” long? Check.

Get with the times, Weatherby. Nobody wants to carry a rifle with a 26” barrel + a suppressor in the woods.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider

Get with the times, Weatherby. Nobody wants to carry a rifle with a 26” barrel + a suppressor in the woods.

Not nobody. My elk rifle is a 26" Wby Mk 5 in 300 Wby, and I run a can on it. The whole point of a magnum cartridge is to push the bullet faster, so why would I want a short barrel?

I find it interesting that Wby is moving away from their traditional Monte Carlo stocks. I like them, and I own 3 Mark V's, but apparently they think the market wants something else.

TxLite

WKR
The whole point of a magnum cartridge is to push the bullet faster, so why would I want a short barrel?
Or put the magnum in a short barrel to make up for the velocity loss of the shorter barrel, and have a compact and plenty capable rifle.

Maybe it’s a regional thing or different hunting environments but 26” plus another 7-8” of suppressor is an absolute nightmare for basically any type of hunting that involves wooded areas. I’m glad it works for you, but most guys I know that are hunting suppressed want shorter barrels, not longer ones

TxLite

WKR
90+ percent of rifle hunters AREN'T using suppressors gentlemen.

There is a LOT to like about the Rokslide,...but folks have an extremely myopic view of the hunting world here.
I get that and I understand people have different desires. My point was about the advertising. They have to include the buzzword that it’s “suppressor ready!” just because it’s threaded. It would have been nice to have an option for a 18-22” barrel, like Bergara has been doing lately.

idahodave

WKR
Your position makes more sense in that light TX. I missed that marketing giblet. My bad.

It does seem counter-intuitive to market to as “Suppressor ready” at those barrel lengths.

dave

I stand by my statement that the love affairs with suppressors on this site isn‘t representative of the hunting world at large.

Last edited:

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Arent any threaded barrel suppressor ready ? I thought you screw an adapter on and you’re ready to go.
Their complaints lie in the length of the barrels. They want shorter barrels so the 8" suppressor they screw on doesn't reach out as far.

Pull the muzzle brake off and that 243 is 22” with a 7.5 twist under 6 pounds.

Stock shape isn’t what rokslide considers perfect, but it’s not that “bad” either with a negative comb that finished .3 under boreline.

Idk, I have no interest in the magnums but that’s not a bad little rifle setup. Granted I’m not a fan of the weatherby bolt lift/throw/feel

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
To bad its in a polymer stock for $1,650.
The focus of this line is light weight. They make plenty of wood stock rifles, the Vangusrds in wood are under $1,000 with a sub MOA guarantee. They do weigh more.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
The one thing that hangs me up on these is the 14” LOP. Other than that this thing seems like a loaded up rifle and lightweight and I like the expanded cartridge offerings. This in a .25-06 is pretty damn tempting!

Jimmie333

FNG
Ordered a Backcountry 2.0 base model a couple weeks ago. Now I see this Live Wild edition. All the same specs and features, except the stock, which accounts for a weight difference of .7lbs. The Live Wild edition is $1000 less, is the weight and stock really the only difference?

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ve been really considering a 280 ai, I think these would fit the bill at a reasonable price. I do wish they had just stuck a plain barrel on it, that spiral fluting hasn’t grown on me

I told them exactly this at the sheep show! I have zero use for a gun with a 26” barrel.