New year, new tactic: Glassing

DANJR

FNG
I've been chasing elk with a bow in CO the past 2 years. Haven't had success so far, but am narrowing it down and learning a lot. Felt good about a lot of my last few hunts last year. Right place and time, just wasn't able to make it happen.

Anyways, September baby on the way this year, which pushes my hunting to rifle season this year. Also will have my dad coming from out of state to join, and I'll need to keep his years and fitness in mind for how we hunt.

I really want to spend some time letting glass do the walking for us this year, and am trying to alter strategy accordingly. I've already got a tripod setup on the way from Cameraland, and will be upgrading binos. However, I'm really looking for advice on how to change e-scouting and scouting to find locations worth glassing, and locations to glass from. Also, seems most glassing is done from high points-how do you handle thermals when starting mornings on the high points? Hit me with your tips and tricks!

huntnful

WKR
Find areas on OnX that you like the topography, find the high points (using topo) and then go to google earth 3D and assess glassing points. Make sure there aren't trees around even if it's the highest spot on the mountain. You won't be able see. Find "bald" spots that you can distinguish on the maps. Don't worry about the thermals. They are what they are. You should be HIGH above and away from the area you suspect elk to be. Not 200 yards right above where they are living. Get some 15's if you're really serious about it. They're amazing.

Depending on what part of CO you're hunting glassing up early season public land elk is tough because the forest canopy can be pretty thick. I try to focus on broken up terrain or large openings within the forest. High vantage points early and late in the day are great for spotting elk. Lesson I learned last year: Elk aren't always where "you think" they should be. Don't overlook "tucked away" lower mid elevations spots away from roads.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
We glassed from an elevated position during the day but found on our grounds that you could do fine from below, glassing into bowls and pastures

Deadfall

WKR
Use the 3d option with onx. Find a area you like, then rotate around until you see a few spots to glass it from. Use the line distance option to draw a line from glassing spot to area you want to glass. Then use the topo option to see if line of sight is clear. This is mostly for glassing from low to high.

The line distance mark will give a better visual if there are any sight obstructions.

I used to go high for glassing. Got a 85mm spotter and do more glassing from low. Still do high spots sometimes. Glassing up can be sneaky productive. Plus you can usually spot other hunters up there messin around and wait for them blow stuff up/out. Then go after.

If heavy timber hit meadows early and late with glass. Timber is still best hit by sneak/peak.

Deadfall

WKR
Use the 3d option with onx. Find a area you like, then rotate around until you see a few spots to glass it from. Use the line distance option to draw a line from glassing spot to area you want to glass. Then use the topo option to see if line of sight is clear. This is mostly for glassing from low to high.

The line distance mark will give a better visual if there are any sight obstructions.

I used to go high for glassing. Got a 85mm spotter and do more glassing from low. Still do high spots sometimes. Glassing up can be sneaky productive. Plus you can usually spot other hunters up there messin around and wait for them blow stuff up/out. Then go after.

If heavy timber hit meadows early and late with glass. Timber is still best hit by sneak/peak.
With 80 or 85 mm spotter you can be a few miles away and glass. Usually at that distance you can catch a old loner bull slipping around other hunters and obstacles, during rifle

Deadfall

WKR
During rifle season it's surprising how often people slip right by an old bull bedded just on edge of meadows. Usually knobby spots just under saddles or backsides of hills.

If you catch one bedding down, keep in mind they always face backtrack. They never travel a straight line.

If you get to following tracks, zig zag them. For instance if you are tracking in snow and tracks are headed up and left you head up and right on a diagonal. After a few hundred yards cut back left on a diagonal. If you catch a rib and still no tracks then start side Hilling until you hit em again. When you get to little openings those are good spots to stop look listen. Especially on ribs.

However you go about it, just don't follow in his tracks.

If you find tracks on one of the diagonals you can look at map and get a good idea where he's headed. Which will also depend on circumstances. Then circle around even or above.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast