Newb Questions: Stabilizers

I asked this question on ArcheryTalk yesterday and most of the responses I've been getting are from stand hunters, so I figured I'd post this here to see what the more spot and stalk types use. I am strongly considering a 10" or 8" Shadow Stabilizer up front and am wondering if a side bar is worth the added weight, cost and bulk to add an 8" or 6" off the back.

I am new to bowhunting, but have muzzleloaded elk here in CO for several years and decided to give archery a shot this year. I just picked up my new bow this weekend (Defiant 34) and am trying to figure out the last few accessories, which are stabilizer and quiver. I am stuck on what length of stabilizer to use. I understand that the longer the stabilizer the lighter it can be, but more unwieldy. I will be doing a combination of stand, ground blind and spot & stalk hunting. The area I hunt has a lot of thick sage and oak brush with some timber, so I probably don't want to get too long. I am thinking an 8" would be a good balance but am wondering if I would be able to get away with a 10" without really having any mobility issues. I know that most folks run a Bee Stinger, but is there another option that I should be considering?

If I were to take the advice of the folks on AT right now I'd probably be getting a 10" Shadow up front with an 8" off the back and a Bowfinger Ultimate Sidebar Mount. Is this going to be too much or unwieldy? Would anyone consider running a different setup based on the style of hunting they are doing that day?

I think that stabilizers sold to bow hunters have more of a placebo effect than any true effect on stability or shot accuracy.

I found an 8" b stinger or Hoyt car on blade to be more than adequite ft all around use. I did notice an improvement

I think that stabilizers sold to bow hunters have more of a placebo effect than any true effect on stability or shot accuracy.

It's far more than a placebo. It increases the moment of inertia causing more rotational stability. That being said I could agree that you may be getting a bit of a placebo for those under 8" because the moment of inertia isn't really changed all that much unless you add quite a bit of weight. The moment of inertia is changed by the weight multiplied by the square of the distance from the center of gravity, so adding length is exponentially more effective than adding weight. This all comes at a cost of mobility however so it is a tradeoff.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/do-you-really-need-stabilizer-your-hunting-bow

I've got a Defiant 34 with an 8" Bee Stinger up front, no side bar and love it. A few thousand arrows in and it shoots great. I'd be interested to see what you guys are doing also...wondering if it would actually help me be more stable.

If you want to extend your range then a stab is very helpful. I have a 12" up front and don't see it as a problem. I played around with weights and ended up at 4 ounces right now. My last bow I was using 11 ounces. I would love to try a side bar and see if it helps but I already have enough money tied up in my rig.

lol.

I run a 12" up front with 3oz and a 8" backbar with 5oz. Yeah, its a lot of weight, but I know i'll always be steady even after running up a ridge. Well worth the extra weight IMO.

I'm just going to put this here..its not for everyone, but I am LOVING my groups with this, esp at 40-60 yards..

http://blog.sandsarchery.com/trophy-taker-quivalizer/

We also have a rokslide discount. No matter how many times i post this, i still have guys tell me they didnt know..so PM me if you need the code.

rob

Rob,

I saw that you carry these yesterday and I do plan on getting one, so I'll hit you up when I do. I'm trying to let my bank account recover a bit from the sting of a new bow. Didn't realize that I would be spending another $600+ on accessories and arrows, but buy once cry once.

It's far more than a placebo. It increases the moment of inertia causing more rotational stability. That being said I could agree that you may be getting a bit of a placebo for those under 8" because the moment of inertia isn't really changed all that much unless you add quite a bit of weight. The moment of inertia is changed by the weight multiplied by the square of the distance from the center of gravity, so adding length is exponentially more effective than adding weight. This all comes at a cost of mobility however so it is a tradeoff.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/do-you-really-need-stabilizer-your-hunting-bow

Thanks for the article. Confirms my findings and why I've ditched my stabilizer as I don't shoot game at the longer distances.
Also coming from 50 years of traditional bowhunting, the compound already feels like a boat anchor.:)

Back