Newberg says a $40 elk tag (or whatever it cost) is a $25,000 elk tag for residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Google is working great for me, but the data I’ve seen and others have posted doesn’t add up to the 20-40k claimed. Now you try.
I don't have to try. I live in Central Idaho, grew up in Tennessee. Visiting family here now. Literally everything is cheaper here, wages are higher. I don't need some bullshit statistical chart to tell me what I know from firsthand experience.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
He's probably gonna circle around to saying that non-residents deserve the same tag allocations as residents because like 1% of their tax money goes to Federal Lands.
Better yet, he's probably typing it from a state that receives a disproportionate amount of federal assistance for services. They'll leave that out and focus on "muh tags cost moar "

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If all we can do is take pot shots at each other, and subjects were never going to make any headway when it comes to solving issues with hunting.

I don't have to try. I live in Central Idaho, grew up in Tennessee. Visiting family here now. Literally everything is cheaper here, wages are higher. I don't need some bullshit statistical chart to tell me what I know from firsthand experience.
Since you have zero interest in entertaining a conversation based on general stats outside of your own finances… Isn’t it nice going to another state and not being gouged for not being a local?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Remember when Randy Newberg said he didnt make money from his hunting show etc., Pepperidge farms remembers. Shouldnt that let anyone know how much they can pay attention to anything he says with a dollar sign in front of or behind it? seriously guys ya'll arguing about something dude made up and put on a podcast for clicks

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
The stock model in my neighborhood is a 1,250 sf 3/2 on 6,250 sf lots and they generally go for $1.7M-$1.8M.

I am glad to see there are still places like Bozeman where real estate is affordable.
A bit disingenuous since you don't mention where you are from. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Bozeman where 1,250 sf new construction will set you back 1.7-1.8M. I just finished a house that sold for over 6M. Big deal. Old craftsman's, etc., within walking of downtown routinely sell for over 1.5-2M on postage stamp lots.

Aside, Bozeman costs just adjusted - the current median price is $820,000.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Isn’t it nice going to another state and not being gouged for not being a local?

This would make sense if you had to pay extra for everything if you didn't live in Idaho, but you don't.

However, you bring up a good point.....maybe we should charge out of staters more for everything and then we could have some of our peace and quiet back on the weekends ;)

wapitibob

WKR
Remember when Randy Newberg said he didnt make money from his hunting show etc., Pepperidge farms remembers. Shouldnt that let anyone know how much they can pay attention to anything he says with a dollar sign in front of or behind it? seriously guys ya'll arguing about something dude made up and put on a podcast for clicks

Actually, he said he didn’t make any money off his YouTube videos.

Rich M

WKR
If all we can do is take pot shots at each other, and subjects were never going to make any headway when it comes to solving issues with hunting.
Do you really think these threads will help solve hunting problems?

One of the first thing in successful negotiations is for both sides to feel like thay are getting something. Most of the guys arent willing to do that, so the negotiations fail and people are upset.

Then we got Newberg trying to stay legit and shape the discussion. :censored:

The stock model in my neighborhood is a 1,250 sf 3/2 on 6,250 sf lots and they generally go for $1.7M-$1.8M.

I am glad to see there are still places like Bozeman where real estate is affordable.

SW Montana and Bozeman specifically is having a major housing affordability crisis. Has been for a while, and Covid sent it off the cliff. I live/work in Gallatin valley in that industry. It’s part of what’s formulating Randy’s opinion on this topic. It’s on the forefront of most people’s mind here, and we talk about it constantly. It’s not just about the raw numbers, it’s about what the median ranges of income can afford. Currently, a starter type home in the valley is anywhere from 6-800k. Young family type incomes simply cannot make the payments on those mortgages. This drives rent prices through the roof. Meaning that service industry workers cannot afford to rent. It’s a vicious cycle, driven by the demand to live in these places from the Coasts where older/retired/financially well off people are bailing to get away from the political/social issues and “run away to the mountains” Based on the numbers you just gave, basically anyone there could sell out and come here without any issue on the housing front, pricing out the locals. Which is exactly why there’s a problem.

Families who have been here for generations are getting priced out of our own homes. It’s a sucky situation all around. One of the big carrots for staying, even if it’s a poor overall financial decision, is the outdoor opportunities. For some (like myself) all I want to do is be a mountain man. So I find a way to make it work financially, and spend a lot of time in the hills. But make no mistake, it’s not the best decision for my financial future. I’m not optimizing my life for a big pile of cash at the end, I’m optimizing for a big pile of experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
SW Montana and Bozeman specifically is having a major housing affordability crisis. Has been for a while, and Covid sent it off the cliff. I live/work in Gallatin valley in that industry. It’s part of what’s formulating Randy’s opinion on this topic. It’s on the forefront of most people’s mind here, and we talk about it constantly. It’s not just about the raw numbers, it’s about what the median ranges of income can afford. Currently, a starter type home in the valley is anywhere from 6-800k. Young family type incomes simply cannot make the payments on those mortgages. This drives rent prices through the roof. Meaning that service industry workers cannot afford to rent. It’s a vicious cycle, driven by the demand to live in these places from the Coasts where older/retired/financially well off people are bailing to get away from the political/social issues and “run away to the mountains” Based on the numbers you just gave, basically anyone there could sell out and come here without any issue on the housing front, pricing out the locals. Which is exactly why there’s a problem.

Families who have been here for generations are getting priced out of our own homes. It’s a sucky situation all around. One of the big carrots for staying, even if it’s a poor overall financial decision, is the outdoor opportunities. For some (like myself) all I want to do is be a mountain man. So I find a way to make it work financially, and spend a lot of time in the hills. But make no mistake, it’s not the best decision for my financial future. I’m not optimizing my life for a big pile of cash at the end, I’m optimizing for a big pile of experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here in San Jose, CA, we are 10-15 years ahead of you. My comment you quoted was a snarky way of suggesting it could be worse, but I feel your pain. Here in Silicon Valley it is pretty rare to meet people who are “from” here because most have been priced out and have had to live elsewhere.

And lots of retirees are cashing in and moving elsewhere, no doubt contributing to your local situation.

Hopefully the people who are moving to Bozeman at least want to plant roots there. Here in SV most people come here for the $400K/year salary with no intention of staying here long term. They make their money and retire elsewhere. As a result the sense of community has really deteriorated.
The Indian couple who bought across the street from us in 2021 still haven’t made eye contact with us.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Here in San Jose, CA, we are 10-15 years ahead of you. My comment you quoted was a snarky way of suggesting it could be worse, but I feel your pain. Here in Silicon Valley it is pretty rare to meet people who are “from” here because most have been priced out and have had to live elsewhere.

And lots of retirees are cashing in and moving elsewhere, no doubt contributing to your local situation.

Hopefully the people who are moving to Bozeman at least want to plant roots there. Here in SV most people come here for the $400K/year salary with no intention of staying here long term. They make their money and retire elsewhere. As a result the sense of community has really deteriorated.
The Indian couple who bought across the street from us in 2021 still haven’t made eye contact with us.
You're lucky...We used to dream of $400,000 salaries and nobody making eye contact with us ...
maxresdefault.jpg

wapitibob

WKR
Do you really think these threads will help solve hunting problems?

One of the first thing in successful negotiations is for both sides to feel like thay are getting something. Most of the guys arent willing to do that, so the negotiations fail and people are upset.

Then we got Newberg trying to stay legit and shape the discussion. :censored:

Just spent an hour with Newberg. Seeing what he's doing with the CRWM guys on the Colorado hunting ban as well as some other projects, it clear he's a lot more relevant than most on here.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Since you have zero interest in entertaining a conversation based on general stats outside of your own finances… Isn’t it nice going to another state and not being gouged for not being a local?
NR pay higher rates for licenses in every single state. It's literally the only thing that NR pay more for in any western state. There's not a resident price and nonresident price on the gas pumps, hotels, restaurants, etc. Only on hunting and fishing licenses. I know that every single time I hunt out of state it's going to be expensive, part of the game. I certainly don't start whining about prices of tags for high demand low supply game tags. When prices for those get too high, I don't go. It's pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.