News that’s gonna rock the mule deer world!

weaver

WKR
Looks like a bigun.
Wonder what the hunter got from BO for breaking the story. Or was he directly involved with BO maybe?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a bigun.
Wonder what the hunter got from BO for breaking the story. Or was he directly involved with BO maybe?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hunter is great friends with BO owner, Kendall Card. More to come on this angle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This a slow slow leak. C’mon Black Ovis, throw us the whole bone!
17c45390e24716280104d96d18c0d389.jpg

Read the hashtags!!!

N2TRKYS

WKR
Since the big news is a big buck picture, I hope the story is more about the management of the unit or State than the deer or hunter.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I thought a buck couldn't be a world record with velvet attached?

Maybe he’s going to strip the velvet? And even if he doesn’t, it’s still going to be the world record in a lot of peoples minds. Hold tight we’re supposed to have the whole story here shortly

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Since the big news is a big buck picture, I hope the story is more about the management of the unit or State than the deer or hunter.

It will be, although I can tell by this thread that some people are going to have a hard time realizing it.

mtmuley

WKR
Not sure why this was kept such a big secret. Money is what I figured. I'll look at the pic, then try to draw a tag here in Montana for a mule deer buck that will rock my world. mtmuley

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got a text that the emails coming. now (you better not be messing with me Black Ovis!!!)

I’m not on my email right now so someone please post up when you get it.

I might know a lot about this buck but I’ve seen no pics either.

mntnguide

WKR
Incredible buck no doubt... but i am by no means rethinking mule deer hunting and management because of it... are we allowed to hear the state at this point? Cause i didn't see it in the entire email

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
And he did it DIY, public land Colorado in a non-premier unit. From the email:

“Pending acceptance by the Pope & Young Club, this once in a generation specimen measures an incredible 348 5/8" gross score. If confirmed by Pope & Young, this would place the Gordon Buck as the largest non-typical mule deer ever taken by a bowhunter and potentially the largest non-typical of any method of take recorded since 1926.”

The reason I mentioned this buck as related to wildlife management is because this is the 3rd (and biggest) 300”+ buck (Lopez, Ross bucks) to come from Colorado in 11 years, and all of them from non-premier units.

Prior to Colorado’s change in mule deer management in 1999, nothing like this was happening. The 1990’s were horrible for mule deer in Colorado, and while I know some hunters will never be happy with their management, to grow bucks like this while still giving ample opportunity to hunt, is an accomplishment for Colorado wildlife managers, in my opinion.

Last edited: