NFA trusts

Looking at getting a suppressor and would prefer a trust. It would be myself, wife and kids. But my kids are 15 and 7. Are my kids too young to be on the trust? My local dealer will do an individual transfer but advised me to seek out an attorney for a trust if that’s what choose to do. Just trying to figure out what’s the best way to get things done right now.

wesfromky

WKR
They get into some of the various trusts in this video. But, the TL;DR is that if you want anyone to possess the item other than yourself you need a trust. Trust can potentially make things easier when you pass on as well. I believe you have to be 18 to possess a silencer, so the trust won't help with your kids until they turn 18.

OP
Pickettpuncher
They get into some of the various trusts in this video. But, the TL;DR is that if you want anyone to possess the item other than yourself you need a trust. Trust can potentially make things easier when you pass on as well. I believe you have to be 18 to possess a silencer, so the trust won't help with your kids until they turn 18.

So basically, other than for my wife’s sake, I could do a trust in a few years, and not worry so much right now.

Yea kids got to be 18 so can’t have them in the trust until them

It’s easy for your kids to get them when you pass without a trust from everything I’ve been told. Only reason for a trust is for them to use the suppressor when your not around

wesfromky

WKR
So basically, other than for my wife’s sake, I could do a trust in a few years, and not worry so much right now.
You would have to pay another $200 to transfer from individual into the new trust and your wife could not have access to it. Some people say like in a safe that she doesn't know the combo to, but IANAL.

I know the quicker approved times for individuals are tempting right now, but long term, it is probably better to do a trust since you have a family.

OP
Pickettpuncher
You would have to pay another $200 to transfer from individual into the new trust and your wife could not have access to it. Some people say like in a safe that she doesn't know the combo to, but IANAL.

I know the quicker approved times for individuals are tempting right now, but long term, it is probably better to do a trust since you have a family.
Finding someone to do the trust is gonna be the hard part, but what I’m seeing online it isn’t too bad. Just have to get finger prints for myself and wife.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Yea kids got to be 18 so can’t have them in the trust until them

It’s easy for your kids to get them when you pass without a trust from everything I’ve been told. Only reason for a trust is for them to use the suppressor when your not around
That’s the whole draw for myself to get a trust, but once my oldest turns 18 I’m not sure she’ll continue to hunt. Just trying to figure out my best course of action right now

wesfromky

WKR
I know there are people that don't like them, but I have had a great experience with Silencer Shop so far - just bought my 6th can from them. They have a couple of trust options.

OP
Pickettpuncher
I know there are people that don't like them, but I have had a great experience with Silencer Shop so far - just bought my 6th can from them. They have a couple of trust options.
I can buy locally and save quite a bit of money, but I’m not sure it’s less of a headache with a trust. I know individually it is.

OP
Pickettpuncher
If you're not stuck on creating the trust in person, you can use National Gun Trusts which is a super easy process where you can create it online.
I’ve looked a little on their website. I’ll do more digging tonight

wesfromky

WKR
I can buy locally and save quite a bit of money, but I’m not sure it’s less of a headache with a trust. I know individually it is.
Then I would look at the National Gun Trusts as above. You can do fingerprint cards then have them scanned for future use. It's hard to buy just one, so start planning on the others now. And, you should add a rimfire to the fist order as well. So much fun.

OP
Pickettpuncher
Then I would look at the National Gun Trusts as above. You can do fingerprint cards then have them scanned for future use. It's hard to buy just one, so start planning on the others now. And, you should add a rimfire to the fist order as well. So much fun.
I was quoted $1300 otd for a scythe ti. But that’s doing an individual vs a trust.

wesfromky

WKR
I was quoted $1300 otd for a scythe ti. But that’s doing an individual vs a trust.
You are not saving any money with that dealer. Silencer shop has it listed at like $990, plus $200 tax stamp puts you just under 1200. Add a single shot trust for $25, and you are still under that.

OP
Pickettpuncher
You are not saving any money with that dealer. Silencer shop has it listed at like $990, plus $200 tax stamp puts you just under 1200. Add a single shot trust for $25, and you are still under that.
Taxes.

But you’re correct. I’d save about $50 with the local dealer. Guess it all depends on who has one in stock when the time comes.

maxx075

FNG
Taxes.

But you’re correct. I’d save about $50 with the local dealer. Guess it all depends on who has one in stock when the time comes.
Don't forget NFA transfer fees - I'm waiting on a Hybrid 46M and saved myself $100 by just looking at dealers transfer fees

wesfromky

WKR
Taxes.

You all must have a pretty high tax rate.

And, in stock is a big deal right now since everyone is buying with the faster approval times.

OP
Pickettpuncher
You all must have a pretty high tax rate.

And, in stock is a big deal right now since everyone is buying with the faster approval times.
9.75%. It’s high, no state income tax. They claim it equals out, but who knows lol.

The scythe ti is $999, taxes are $100, and the tax stamp is $200. But it may be worth a bit extra going your route just to have the trust done.

wesfromky

WKR
9.75%. It’s high, no state income tax. They claim it equals out, but who knows lol.

The scythe ti is $999, taxes are $100, and the tax stamp is $200. But it may be worth a bit extra going your route just to have the trust done.
Just 5% here in KY.

They are out of stock at SS (and most places) right now, so if your local guy has it in stock, that is probably the way to go. Get a trust from National Gun Trust, do prints, and get the process started.