Night calling

neverquit

WKR
Any one do any night calling?

I picked up the xlr500hd kill light. I'm gonna go for lions and coyotes tonigh in Arizona. I'm an experienced predator hunter but I've never hunted anything at night. Unfortunately they are calling for 20mph of wind .

Wondering if any one has had any luck or experience

Embarger

FNG
Hello I've been going out alot the last few months here in Oregon at night and had pretty good success. One thing I have noticed is if you have anything more than a ten mph breeze my success rate drastically drops. Being from Arizona myself I know there is a huge difference between the two types of "desert" your probably hunting though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
Still nothing for me at night. Been doing ok during the day. Heading back out Sunday night again

Night calling is another world. Sometimes it makes call in rates sky rocket, sometimes it's a dud. Detection and kill abilities are important. Thermal is the way to go, but it ain't cheap. NV detection with an illuminator is great for a little less. I had a hard time with my red light. The coyotes were just as spooked by it, and visibility was poor. I've gone back to plain white light until I can afford fancy equipment again. Just keep scans within 150 yards, and kill them quick. Hit them good, recovery is difficult at night. My greatest success at night has come from calling areas the coyotes only are in at night to hunt (fields, wetlands, etc).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
Unfortunately az has not yet allowed thermal or night vision.

I've been using red but I've seen a bunch of videos of guys using white

mcseal2

WKR
I'd love to do it but it's not legal in my state. To much concern about deer poaching, and some of it's probably warranted. I sure wish it could be done though, even if they waited until deer had dropped their antlers to allow it. That would alleviate much of the poaching concern and still help control the coyote population.

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
I called in and killed one in the dark early this morning. I also called in and killed a double in the day light

Nuke Man

WKR
Night calling is a totally different world. I just started a week ago here in Illinois. It's a freaking blast! I've had alot more action at night than during the day. I use a green light and a combo of electronic and mouth calls. We had probably 3 different packs of coyotes around us a couple nights ago. It was pretty intense. Couldn't find them with the lights though. If anyone tells you that red or green lights don't spook them, they are full of shit.

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
A red light didn't spook the one I killled this morning. Plus the hundreds of YouTube videos showing coyotes being called to red and white lights

Nuke Man

WKR
From my experiences they definitely do. Everyone I've illuminated have stopped dead in their tracks when I hit them with the light. Had a pack howling back what seemed about a hundred yards out in a field. Hit the light, they went silent immediately. Never did see them

OP
neverquit

neverquit

WKR
I scan constantly then I zoom in the light for a shot. It never seemed to bother them . Check out you tube there's tons of videos doing it