Nightforce Benchrest ranging?

Looking at Nightforce Benchrest 12 x 42. Reading up on the reticle, looks like it “ranges” at 22 power.
Does that mean that I can’t use the reticle for holdover if it’s dialed up to 42 power? My SHV 5 x 20 reticle is good for holdover at max magnification only. Looks like the Benchrest the only magnification I can use the reticle for holdover is 22 power?
Seems silly. I have a range finder. Why would I need a scope reticle for ranging? Am I missing something?

OP
S
It would almost make sense if the “ranging” power was 21 on a 42 power scope. So If I was turned all the way up to 42x, I could just count every 2 MOA on the reticle as really being only 1 MOA. Maybe I just need to look at some FFP. Never looked through one. This scope is for a RPR 300 WM just for fun. Not a hunting rifle. Might try to shoot out to 1,000 yards. Trying not to break the bank. I see Benchrest 12 x 42 used for under $1,000. I’ve never done a lot of dialing. If something is 2 or 300 yards, no need. If it’s over 300 yards, I’m already up at 20 power. So I can just use reticle for holdover.

Macintosh

WKR
My impression is BR is pretty specific to BR. maybe theres a reason for it that one of the benchrest shooters can chime in on. For a “practical precision” type of rifle a FFP scope is a heck of a lot more useful though. For around $1000 my money is looking at a quality used/deal ffp scope with max power between 15-30 depending on your preference. No way could I spot hits at 20x at 300-500 yards with a 300winmag so I personally dont use the higher magnification in a gun that recoils very much until range is way out there, and thats all the more reason I want the reticle to subtend the same at all magnifications. Past 300-400 yards Im dialing 100% of the time unless there is a reason not to (match course of fire requiring lots of back and forth dialing, etc), but I still want the reticle for that^^ as well as for spotting misses and making accurate corrections.

OP
S
Like I said it's just for funsies.

I'm shooting a brand new super light (5.5 lbs) 300 WM for hunting. Just getting it figured out. And can get right up on that 20X Nightforce no problem with the muzzle brake. First muzzle brake I've ever got behind. But I need to either shoot without that brake, or figure out how to be 100% sure that I'll remember hearing protection while actually hunting.

The RPR weighs in over 15 pounds. And with a factory brake. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm guessing the recoil will be negligible.

That's how it works with high magnification second focal plane scopes, their reticles are only accurate at one magnification and it's usually higher than most practical shooters want.

That is a purposeful built model for benchrest, not practical shooting. There was some press on accurate shooter from benchrest guys having zero retention issues with that particular model a while back.