Nightforce regrets?

Night Force scopes are highly regarded on this sight. Nightforce scopes also appear to be one of the most posted scopes for sale in the classifieds. Why are so many people selling them? If you sold one why?

Bater

WKR
I sold one of my NXS which nearly paid for 2 Zeiss V4’s for a couple lightweight hunting rigs. Hard to beat NF reliability, in this case just wanted to save a little weight. I suspect some of the uptick in classified sales you are seeing is because the market is producing more lightweight options that are reliable dialers.

No regrets with my NF scopes. I’d consider selling only if I wanted to change to something different in the Nightforce line, 4-16 to 5-25 for instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think the economic shutdown has led to a lot of scopes being listed in the classifieds as well. Lots of projects got scrapped so the scopes are first to go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Semi off topic, but the NXS line...the power "ring" is the whole ocular portion, correct? This pisses people off? Like...if you run a scope cap, it will be rotated and be in the way of the bolt on occassion>?

Kotaman

WKR
As much as I love them, I hate how heavy they are. Even the NX8 at 28 oz. is 8 oz heavier than I like on a mountain rifle. So I guess you could say it's "Love/Hate" for me. But...they are reliable. That reminds me...I have an extra NX8 MOAR 2.5x20x50 laying around I should try to sell...

Bater

WKR
Semi off topic, but the NXS line...the power "ring" is the whole ocular portion, correct? This pisses people off? Like...if you run a scope cap, it will be rotated and be in the way of the bolt on occassion>?
Yes it’s the whole ocular except for the compacts

OXN939

WKR
As much as I love them, I hate how heavy they are. Even the NX8 at 28 oz. is 8 oz heavier than I like on a mountain rifle. So I guess you could say it's "Love/Hate" for me. But...they are reliable. That reminds me...I have an extra NX8 MOAR 2.5x20x50 laying around I should try to sell...

This. I used to use ATACRs for work and they were great, and just picked up an SHV because it's one of their lightest... and, as a 3-10x42, it's still close to twice the weight of most similar optics I have on other rifles. I get that torture test-able optics are generally not featherweight, but I'd be more interested in replacing some other optics if they came out with a line that was, say, 30% heavier than the competition. Reliability is awesome, but there's very little of my other gear that I'd double in weight to achieve it.

Last edited:

28bang

WKR
I have to say I don’t regret buying one but I won’t own one again. I live in Oregon in the NW, and it rains here if you haven’t heard. These scopes are unfortunately allergic to rain. Once the lens get Wet from rain or your in the brush rubbing against ferns and sal al where it’s wet you are screwed. Don’t understand why you wouldn’t put a hydrophobic coating on them. One thing I can give leupold credit for it is when it rains, I can see. I won’t own one of them though for other reasons.

Goose2345

FNG
I’m kind of a Nightforce fan to say the least it’s the only scope I own other then on one ar. I have sold 3-4 nxs 5.5x22x56 scopes for two reasons one being the power ring moving the whole eyepiece ticks me off not a big deal but it’s in the con category, second being the glass quality. Once I got my first atacr 5x25 the nxs had to go there all now replaced with atacrs!