nightforce vs leupold

hi guys . i have a christensen arms mesa in 7mm . awesome rifle. looking to upgrade my vortex scope. between leupold and nightforce . any insights ? thanks in advance!

I don't have much experience with NF, but love leupold especially for the quality vs price you pay.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
We used to make components for nightforce and hired a cpl ex leupold operators. NF standard block tolerances are significantly tighter.
My personal use experience; a $1000 leupold that shifted zero by 2 feet, twice, went away and was replaced with an NXS which works as advertised.

What are you looking to do with the scope? NF ATACR will have better glass than any Leupold pretty easily. The NX8 will have better glass than most Leupold, not sure on VX6. Leupold will weigh less generally. You still need to test them, but zero shift and tracking would favor the NF pretty easily.

bobr1

WKR
Interesting. It depends on what you want to do with the rifle but being in the military and also hunting. Night force is better quality but it is not cheap. If money is an issue you will be fine with leupold. If you want to go all out and have probably the best scope for durability and ability to go back to zero then nightforce.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
I am looking at this question myself. I went with a Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1. It was lightly used $930 at Scheels for me. Pull the trigger and everything I have read leans NF over Leupold.

The SHV has worse glass and is heavier but the reliability, durability, FFP, and reticle made me want NF.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If not dialing IMO leupold will serve you very well.....I’ve used leupold coming on 40 yrs for my scopes and never had an issue.....nightforce makes a great product just more money.....good luck on the decision.

Curtass

FNG
I think you should consider the higher end Sig's. I run a Sig Tango6 on my elk gun and absolutely love it. And I have tripped and landed on top of the Sig on top of a rock and scratched the hell out of it and it was still on zero.
I also have a NF ATACR and love it, but it doesn't get the abuse the Sig has.

I have run several of both but only one hunting rig with a NF. If money is not an issue, I would try a NF for your 7mm, the glass is of course top notch, it can take a beating, and its fun having something not everyone else does. Nothing against Leupold but the NF feels more "special." Then again, it feels that way because I dropped $$$ and I NEED it to feel special ha.

Only con, and it depends on your rifle setup and preferences, but NF optics tend to be significantly heavier than others. But you can run a truck over them and they still work so it's all in how you look at it. If you want to keep your CA Mesa a lightweight than Leupold will have more options probably.

Ram94

WKR
And it should be noted that NF does have some lighter weight options. (2.5-10 NXS 3-10 SHV) they aren’t all 32oz scopes.

OP
Silvercreek1999
What are you looking to do with the scope? NF ATACR will have better glass than any Leupold pretty easily. The NX8 will have better glass than most Leupold, not sure on VX6. Leupold will weigh less generally. You still need to test them, but zero shift and tracking would favor the NF pretty easily.
I'm gonna hunt pretty much anything, elk,bear ,big game but also want to do long range shooting. 1000+ yards ..just target at that range

I have a n NX8 1-8 on my grendel and I love it. I’ve shot several critters with it so far. I have been nothing but impressed.