Nikon Monarch HG vs Swaro CL 10x30s

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
When the call came out to review some compact binos from Nikon, specifically the Nikon Monarch HGs, I was more than curious on how these binos would preform with the HG coatings but a smaller objective lens. To make it a little more fun, I got my hands on the updated Swarovski CL Companions. So far I've gotten these out on an elk scouting and shooting a 3d course.

DSC01433.jpg

My initial impressions overall have been positive on both these units. The clarity on both of these units has been great. It seems low light performance is where the smaller objective lens is going to be where both of these falls short for hunters who glass until dark.

I'm gonna be taking these out for a Colorado archery hunt and some sporadic scouting trips preparing for the later fall. Subscribe and let me know if you have any questions on either of these units.

DSC01424.jpg

Couple of questions:
1. Can a bino stud be mounted to the Swaro CL?
2. Can you do a resolution test of both binos?
3. Please evaluate the eye relief because that seems to be where 30s come up short.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Couple of questions:
1. Can a bino stud be mounted to the Swaro CL?
2. Can you do a resolution test of both binos?
3. Please evaluate the eye relief because that seems to be where 30s come up short.

1. I called @Outdoorsmans when I got these. The person I talked to said they don't offer a stud for the CLs. The guy on the phone also mentioned that their binohand may also be too large for such a small barrel. I have a universal strap over off Amazon I brought with to use with the CLs.

2. I will be doing that but will be coming a little later, my first two trips have just been getting a feel for them.

3. According to the specs the swaro's have a slightly bigger eye relief. My use with both seems to match the specs, where the swaro's are a hair better.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I do want to point out is both of these sets are about 10 oz lighter than my 10x42s

Any update?

I, and I have to think many others, are becoming more interested in compact binos to partner with 15x’s.

I’d like to know what kind of performance is being given up by moving from the 42mm to 30-32mm class of similar quality glass. Obviously low light and maybe some FOV, but clarity and resolution, etc. Swaro CL runs quite a bit less than the SLC and EL so I am guessing there’s some loss?

Any update?

I, and I have to think many others, are becoming more interested in compact binos to partner with 15x’s.

I’d like to know what kind of performance is being given up by moving from the 42mm to 30-32mm class of similar quality glass. Obviously low light and maybe some FOV, but clarity and resolution, etc. Swaro CL runs quite a bit less than the SLC and EL so I am guessing there’s some loss?
I used to be a big fan of x30/32's but these days I just don't feel it's worth the space/weight savings. Binocs like the Razor 10x42's and Nikon HG 10x42's aren't a whole lot bigger than their x32 counterparts, but they gather a lot more light. I'd never give up my 42's even for a pair of Swaro 32's.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Any update?

On what you give up, I'd say about 10-15 minutes of light on a group of elk I was watching. The ones toward the top of the hill I could still see but lost the ones in the trees with both the x30s. FOV I'll make sure I check it out, as I just compared the two 30's but didn't compare the 42s. I'm hoping to get out for some scouting before I leave for CO but with family/work I may not be able to get out until my CO trip. On clarity, I'll make sure to look at the resolution chart with them all.

WRO

WKR
I used to be a big fan of x30/32's but these days I just don't feel it's worth the space/weight savings. Binocs like the Razor 10x42's and Nikon HG 10x42's aren't a whole lot bigger than their x32 counterparts, but they gather a lot more light. I'd never give up my 42's even for a pair of Swaro 32's.

My 8x32 ELs kept up with the 10x42 SLC's within a minute of each other.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Were you using a resolving chart or another object/animal? Like I mentioned, elk at a distance, I lost around 10-15 minutes.

Edit/clarification: The group of elk I was watching were at 2200 yards according to onx.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
i have been using the 8x30 companion CL and have been greatly impressed to the point I won’t own anything bigger unless it is going on a tripod. Seriously shocked while glassing mule deer at dusk. That being said I am 47 so my eyes may no longer get the benefit of going 42 or 50.

WRO

WKR
Were you using a resolving chart or another object/animal? Like I mentioned, elk at a distance, I lost around 10-15 minutes.

Edit/clarification: The group of elk I was watching were at 2200 yards according to onx.

The CLs and Els are much different beasts..

We were looking at elk at the same distance roughly..

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Quick update, I had both these units with me for my week in Colorado and they performed really well. I used the Nikons for the first few days, almost exclusively and then swapped over to the CL's for the final few days. I spent the majority of my mornings' glassing looking for deer we wanted to make a move on. We also mixed in some still hunting, where I was scanning through aspen patches as we snuck through.

A few of my non-scientific thoughts on both these units. I like the ergonomics and armor coating of the CL's better by far but my eyes seem to like the Nikon's eye relief. The CL's diopter is a royal pain in the rear to adjust, as you press the middle of the focus wheel and rotate. I know diopter adjustments don't get moved around a lot but I don't know why Swaro didn't keep their standard adjustment by poping the focus wheel out. I also like the eyecup adjustment on the Nikon's over the Swaros. While I'm nitpicking the Swaro's little things, I'll toss in the bino stud threads as a frustration.

Now that I'm back home I'll be doing the resolving tests as well as some redneck field of view tests with my kids/open sage and some flagging tape.

DSC01475.jpg

On a side note, I should have re-read Jared's photo article as I wasn't super happy with most of my photos and my buddy didn't get to me till dark. https://www.rokslide.com/how-to-take-better-trophy-photos/

DSC01495.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01481.jpg
    DSC01481.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 32

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Quick update, I had both these units with me for my week in Colorado and they performed really well. I used the Nikons for the first few days, almost exclusively and then swapped over to the CL's for the final few days. I spent the majority of my mornings' glassing looking for deer we wanted to make a move on. We also mixed in some still hunting, where I was scanning through aspen patches as we snuck through.

A few of my non-scientific thoughts on both these units. I like the ergonomics and armor coating of the CL's better by far but my eyes seem to like the Nikon's eye relief. The CL's diopter is a royal pain in the rear to adjust, as you press the middle of the focus wheel and rotate. I know diopter adjustments don't get moved around a lot but I don't know why Swaro didn't keep their standard adjustment by poping the focus wheel out. I also like the eyecup adjustment on the Nikon's over the Swaros. While I'm nitpicking the Swaro's little things, I'll toss in the bino stud threads as a frustration.

Now that I'm back home I'll be doing the resolving tests as well as some redneck field of view tests with my kids/open sage and some flagging tape.

View attachment 121358

On a side note, I should have re-read Jared's photo article as I wasn't super happy with most of my photos and my buddy didn't get to me till dark. https://www.rokslide.com/how-to-take-better-trophy-photos/

View attachment 121360
Awesome buck man! Nice work.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider

i had the exact same experience. i ran my 10x42 ELs next to my 8x32 ELs...and i saw zero difference at last light. night after night i sat and tried to justify keeping both sets, but it became obvious that the 8x32’s gave up so little (if anything at all) to the 10x42’s, i sold the 10x42.

whats more, is i think the 8x is more usable. maybe off a tripod it would be different, but i am guessing the 8x32s would have hung in there with the 10x42s if both were tripod mounted, so i think it’s moot. besides, i dont hunt off a tripod.

i can not attest to the 8x30 cl. i do have a set of the 10x25pockets, and that is right next to un-usable. shoulda got the 8x in those.

Beendare

WKR
Great test....and no surprise to me Nikon had better resolution....the pro photographers have been a testament to Nikon lenses for many decades.

I love Swaro....[I own the 10x SLC's] but I also own the discontinued Nikon EDG 8x42's and side by side against the other top manufacturers the Nikon lenses beat everyone [to my eyes]

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Fantasic review. I own the 8x30 CL Companions (next to latest generation) and consider them to be one of the best small/light binos for running and gunning out there. I really, really love their physical size for hunting mobile and feel the glass is good enough that I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything that a full size pair of glass would offer me for actual hunting. Mind you I'm hunting big woods, not out west so my ranges are all sub-300yds. I'm glad to see a couple of competitors hitting this mid sized format with quality glass offerings. Competitive options can be noting but good for consumers.