Nissan Titan PRO-4X

Ok Rokslide, I am close to pulling the trigger on a low mileage, certified 2023 PRO-4X and trading in my 2010 Tundra. This your chance to tell me I’m crazy.

FYI, main reasons I’m looking to upgrade are to get modern pre-collision safety features and longer range on a tank of gas while also keeping a naturally aspirated V-8 while I still can still do all three of those. For a bunch of reasons too long to list regarding Chevy, GM, Dodge, and Ford, my remaining choices are 2020-21 Tundra or 2022+ Titan. The Tundras are extremely hard to find and pricey. I’ve been looking since May and haven’t found what I felt was a reasonable price within a 12 hour drive. I also plan to keep this vehicle for 10 years, and the 2021 Tundras are already quite dated interior, technology, and MPG wise. They just do much for me to feel good about forking over $40k+. Test drive them and am kind of like meh. Plus the 2014-2021s absolutely trashed the amount of interior storage. It’s horrible.

The Titan P4X has better ground clearance and off road specs then I get in a similarly priced Tundra. Better technology, storage, and overall interior look and feel than a similarly priced tundra. Range is similar despite having smaller tank due to better MPG, and everything I’ve heard is that it actually gets the listed MPG vs Tundras that often don’t unless you drive like grandma. Basically, I can recreate in a Tundra what Titan offers if I up my budget $15,000 which I’m not prepared to do. I get Tundras are reliable…mine has been good not great. Nissan has an excellent warranty, and $15,000 buys a lot of repairs for a truck I will probably only out 150,000 miles on. Plus, compared to what I’ve seen from other brands, at worst they are no worse then them and possible better than most reliability wise.

CorbLand

WKR
The newer Tundras do have a higher pulling capacity than the Titan. One thing to consider if you need to pull.

I will never buy a Nissan vehicle again but as a Toyota fan, the pricing of them is making it hard to own one.

wesfromky

WKR
I looked at the Pro4x Titans, great trucks, super reliable, but Nissan is discontinuing them next year. That may or may not matter to you though. I ended up with a pro4x frontier because I wanted something a bit smaller and less expensive.

Titan_Bow

WKR
resale will probably suck. That's the biggest downside to Nissans in my opinion. I bought a 2004 Titan back in 2005, and put 280,000 miles on that truck. The day I got rid of it, I would not have hesitated to drive that truck across the country. That 5.6 was a good motor.

180ls1

WKR
The market generally prices things efficiently and you have all your bases covered on the analysis.

The only thing I would consider is delaying the purchase. Vehicle prices are still normalizing and I'd bet you'd get a much better deal on a discontinued, barely used Titan a year from now while your Tundra won't depreciate anywhere near the same rate.

OP
G
Maybe discontinuing will up the resale value like the FJ Cruiser. Toyota couldn’t give those away and now they’re $30k for 10 year old SUVs.

(Kidding)

OP
G
resale will probably suck. That's the biggest downside to Nissans in my opinion. I bought a 2004 Titan back in 2005, and put 280,000 miles on that truck. The day I got rid of it, I would not have hesitated to drive that truck across the country. That 5.6 was a good motor.

It’s definitely going to be lower, and that has been a factor in my mind. No way to get around that. If you buy literally any pickup besides a Tundra, that is a sacrifice one has to make.

180ls1

WKR
It’s definitely going to be lower, and that has been a factor in my mind. No way to get around that. If you buy literally any pickup besides a Tundra, that is a sacrifice one has to make.
Then again money you save could double in the market over those 10 years. Then again, you're likely to spend more on repairs. Then again, it'll likely be cheaper to insure because it's worth less. Then again, ...

Have you driven both? For standard trucks, the Titan was the most fun one I've driven. Not including Raptors and so on.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ok Rokslide, I am close to pulling the trigger on a low mileage, certified 2023 PRO-4X and trading in my 2010 Tundra. This your chance to tell me I’m crazy.

FYI, main reasons I’m looking to upgrade are to get modern pre-collision safety features and longer range on a tank of gas while also keeping a naturally aspirated V-8 while I still can still do all three of those. For a bunch of reasons too long to list regarding Chevy, GM, Dodge, and Ford, my remaining choices are 2020-21 Tundra or 2022+ Titan. The Tundras are extremely hard to find and pricey. I’ve been looking since May and haven’t found what I felt was a reasonable price within a 12 hour drive. I also plan to keep this vehicle for 10 years, and the 2021 Tundras are already quite dated interior, technology, and MPG wise. They just do much for me to feel good about forking over $40k+. Test drive them and am kind of like meh. Plus the 2014-2021s absolutely trashed the amount of interior storage. It’s horrible.

The Titan P4X has better ground clearance and off road specs then I get in a similarly priced Tundra. Better technology, storage, and overall interior look and feel than a similarly priced tundra. Range is similar despite having smaller tank due to better MPG, and everything I’ve heard is that it actually gets the listed MPG vs Tundras that often don’t unless you drive like grandma. Basically, I can recreate in a Tundra what Titan offers if I up my budget $15,000 which I’m not prepared to do. I get Tundras are reliable…mine has been good not great. Nissan has an excellent warranty, and $15,000 buys a lot of repairs for a truck I will probably only out 150,000 miles on. Plus, compared to what I’ve seen from other brands, at worst they are no worse then them and possible better than most reliability wise.
Have you looked at used titans? They don’t hold their value worth a crap. Might be able to find a good deal on a used one.

OP
G
Have you looked at used titans? They don’t hold their value worth a crap. Might be able to find a good deal on a used one.
Yes. Drove a Titan for the first time Saturday and really really liked it. Actually felt like “damn it’s nice to be in a new truck feeling”. I have a 2010 Tundra, which is mechanically identical to the 2021, but did test drive a 2021 a few months ago. I walked away from that kind of underwhelmed. Interior is 85% the same, and the changes they made to the interior seating and storage were bad. The changes they made to the tech are still dated. A $500 Dasaita head unit is a huge improvement over what they put in there.

Really, the ONLY thing Tundra has going for it is resale (which hurts me when buying used) and reputation for reliability (but as rideold said, they’re not magical). If it wasn’t for the extended warranty, I would have been out $3k for a front differential on my Tundra at 77k miles.

Last edited:
I can send you frame specs after one of my customers pulled their 18ft bumper pull camper with their Titan.... I would say hard pass on the Titan from my own experiences.

Tx_300wsm

FNG
I’ve owned two titans, a 14 and now a 19. Only issue I’ve had with either of them was the 14 got struck by lightening and fried the computer. In the 5 years I’ve had the 19 all I’ve done is oil, filters and tires. In my experience they are solid and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

OP
G
I’ve owned two titans, a 14 and now a 19. Only issue I’ve had with either of them was the 14 got struck by lightening and fried the computer. In the 5 years I’ve had the 19 all I’ve done is oil, filters and tires. In my experience they are solid and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.
Will give it a pass on the lightening.